Why become a member? ×

Orange OBC212 or OBC115

Killstarz

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with either of the above cabs. I'm looking at buying one of them in the new year. I'm drawn towards the 212 but I'm just not sure 100% sure.

I'm running a OTB 500w head.

Please don't offer any alternate cabs by other manufacturers as I'm a complete fanny and my cab has to match my head. :D

The OBC115 is a nice cab. I sold my full Orange rig as I live up plenty (LOTS) of stairs and I don't gig with bass at the moment. It was a great setup.

I've tried the SP212 (Neo), OBC410 and OBC115....

The old SP212 (no idea what they are like now) was SUPER small and very very loud and grindy.

The OBC410 is punchy and aggressive...

The OBC115 still has some aggression, nice mids, warmer lows.

I'd opt for the OBC115 or the OBC210. The OBC410 is FAR too heavy and hard to move around.

Some really good info there guys, cheers.

I'm starting to lean towards the 1x15 as I really don't understand the way the speakers are mounted in the isobaric 212. I just don't get it, but ultimately, if it sounds great, should it really matter if I 'get it' or not?

I know the 1x15 is rated at 400w, is it any quieter than the 212 rated at 600w. Sorry if that is a stupid question, I'm not the most cab savvy, when it comes to the technical side of things.

Here is what Bill Fitzmaurice says about the speaker in the Orange OBC115. It makes interresting reading from a man who really knows his stuff.

"This is one of those cases where the drivers used is known, so you can make valid comparisons. The 115 uses the Eminence Kappa 115. It displaces 343cc. The 410 uses Beta 10s. They displace 102cc each, for a total of 408cc. The Kappa 15 does have a lower frequency range than the Beta 10, but when you go lower in frequency the displacement requirement for equal output increases. If the 115 was going to be a good match with the 410 it would need considerably more displacement, not less. A 115 along with a 210 would make far more sense.
[b][u]As to the Beta 10 and Kappa 15 specifically, both are low end drivers, frankly not worthy of being used in cabs in the price range of Orange. There are many cabs with better drivers that sell for less.[/u][/b]

Something to think about before parting with your cash? In the end though, if you like it, you like it, and that's all that matters.

Frank.

[attachment=232998:orange.jpg]Hiho-I use an Orange TB500 with a SP212 and an OBC115 .
I am very happy with them.
SP212-small ,one hand lift,tight sound and very loud with loads of bottom.
OBC115-big,heavy,load it in on a trolley.Looser sounding,growls more,very loud.
Both together-can go insanely loud with more to come,volume at 10 0clock,about 4 in the other scale.
They go very well with the TB500 head.
If your after sound-OBC115,if space and weight is the deciding factor-SP/OBC212 but either is good

• 2 weeks later...

Had an obc410 for a few years and have also tried their 115 and SP cabs. I think all of them sounded loose and subpar for the money.

Bought a second hand ebs neo212 which I run my ad200b through. Have never looked back.

Go buy a second hand ebs instead. Top class construction. Proper cab designs with decent specs and volume.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you've made your mind up yet but i just bought an OBC115 on BC and the sound is quite astounding. Very low end with lots of depth. I did find it lacked on the top end so if you're into slap and pop style not so good. I'm currently playing in a blues based funk rock band and this cab fits the sound perfectly.
I've tried it with TE GP7 150W head, GK MB200, GK1001RBii and Markbass heads and the TE suited it very well with no tweaking of EQ required. Markbass much the same with minimal tweak. Both the GK amps i had to tweak a bit to get good sound. The 1001RBii i virtually had to take everything back to flat to get best overall tone from the cab. Guess that's a good thing.
Then tried it with my Markbass combo 12" with Orange cab. That gave it everything. Great high mids to top end and that amazing low end depth from the Orange.
I like the sound on its own but depending on style of music i would be playing would maybe add a 12 or 10 cab to offer bit more high end.
You can see from my equipment list the types of amps and cabs i'm comparing against to hopefully help you understand my opinions.
It is quite a heavy cab. Not a one hand lift but probably its size makes it a bit more awkward. 24" wide but compared to my Bergantino HT322 its nothing.

All in all it would depend on your style of music and playing whether it will suit.
Personally i love it.

Dave

Having tried the OBC115 at rehearsals i found that the depth was there and great low end.
Lacked a bit on the hi-mids but that should be EQ'd out with the amp once i get a bit more used to it.
Found it gave the band a more full sound than the old TE 2X10 cab i was using at rehearsals.
Might at some point add a 10" or 12" cab to get sharper mids if EQ doesn't quite cut it.
Dave

[quote name='Killstarz' timestamp='1487156903' post='3237550']
I ended up getting the OBC410 in the end as one came up at a price I couldn't resist.

It's a lot heavier than I would have liked but I'm very happy with the tone I get through it.
[/quote]

That's kinda why i ended up with the 115 cab :D
Good to see you got sorted. Does the 410 still give that deep low end. ?

Dave

• 2 years later...

I run an orange OB1-500 with the OBC212. 

Was looking to add the 115 for extra depth and volume. I play in a five piece band and the two guitars are pretty loud...

Does anyone have experience of these two cabs with this head combined?

Edited by Karen Smith
Typo
  • Like 1

Folks, just a gentle reminder that if you want to offer gear for sale etc, do it via PM so as to comply with forum rules. Otherwise it isn't fair on those who have paid subscriptions. I've hidden a couple of posts from newer members. No formal warnings on this occasion but I recommend having a few minutes reading the marketplace rules if you are not sure. Cheers.