Why become a member? ×

Pre-CBS Precision, or relic?

therealting

Hello folks,

I'd been looking at getting a high quality replica of a pre-CBS Precision, and the opportunity has come up to purchase a fine example of a '61. It has been refinished (sympathetically and authentically and to an exceptional standard, but still a refin), and has had a refret and a new pickup and pots installed. Case, hardware, strap, covers all original.

It will cost about double what the reproduction does... but it is an original 61 P.

Thoughts?

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1480417418' post='3184145']
Hello folks,

I'd been looking at getting a high quality replica of a pre-CBS Precision, and the opportunity has come up to purchase a fine example of a '61. [b]It has been refinished (sympathetically and authentically and to an exceptional standard, but still a refin), and has had a refret and a new pickup and pots installed.[/b] Case, hardware, strap, covers all original.

It will cost about double what the reproduction does... but it is an original 61 P.

Thoughts?
[/quote]
That is quite a lot of work/changes for 'original' to still be used to describe the bass! Out of interest, what pickups and pots have been used? Is the original cap still in the loom or is there also a new loom?

Personally I'd go for the reproduction, or hang on and find a better, and more complete pre-CBS P.

Edited by JamesBass

Precisions are funny things. They're currently less popular than Jazzes, and more of them were made of course. I purchased a 63' all original and in great condition for £4200 this time last year, and that was from a dealer.

If I were buying it for investment value, I'd make sure to buy an original bass. If it's to play, or for recording etc. then it doesn't matter.

I use a 73' Jazz which has a replaced set of pickups and pots which gives me the oomph I need.

I presume it ain't cheap?

As a friend of mine in the trade once said about refins "so, you're paying £3000 for a neck". I'd argue that if the pickup is original then he's not quite right, but without the original pickup or finish he's closer to right than wrong. And as Clive Brown once said to me "it's not like the old wood was made by pixies and faries, wood is wood". I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I did find it quite funny. As a flip side, of the many pre CBS Fenders I've played, I always prefered the late 50's to 61 ones, could all be in my head but I've played a lot and I always prefered those.

Even with a refin some guys are left feeling like they haven't got the complete package and they aim for an original. Without the pickup that may double. Personally I went from refins, to original and then back to modern basses and I'm glad I did it, so the vintage thing is worth a punt as you may well stick with it, or end up at least having fun expericeing it. But that bass you described may be just a 'nearly' bass.

Good luck deciding :)

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1480418339' post='3184154']
Yeah that's the thing, but it is priced with that in mind. It's a handwound Bareknuckle, with CTS solid shafts and an old cap
[/quote]
You're paying essentially for the fact the wood is old and that there's a perceived perception of the quality of old Fenders. There are MANY luthiers and pickup winders that make exceptionally good reproductions of vintage instruments, and at a better and more affordable price point. You are also less likely to be precious about replacing bits should you need to.

I do get the allure of a vintage instrument, the best ever precision bass I've ever played was a 100% original 66 P Bass. The bridge foam was still in the bridge cover, the neck was sublime, the pick ups were clear, loud, and articulate, all in all it was amazing, that is till I found out the price. £6K. I have since spoken to many luthiers and other bass players and all agree you can get that vintage vibe and tone from a new build with modern ergonomics. The choice is ultimately yours though!

Yeah I'm really torn. It was restored by one of the finest in the business (I own one of his replicas and it is indistinguishable from the real thing other that two deliberate differentiators), and the asking price is under £4k

Edited by therealting

maybe see if Rick's Fine '52 will give his tuppence - he's got a fine collection of very old fenders - and has made and commissioned his own replicas of them too.
Me I would go for the cheaper replica... why? cos i'm not sure 3k of vintage fender would be good for throwing around a gig - whereas a bravewood or similar wouldn't be more relaxing to play!

I think just find any p bass that really feels and sounds great to you then find someone who does a relic job that looks great to you. I think joe whites looks authentic www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk/images/GuitarAgeingPics/20130721_152913.jpg I remember seeing some others around just as impressive.

So a refinish (assuming it's just a body refine) should command around half of the full market value. If it's a neck and headstock refin as well, even less.
So an £8k 1963 is pretty top money for an all original, I would certainly expect a refin with non-original pickup to go for closer to £3k, maybe even late 2ks if there's other stuff missing.

If you want a cool (but expensive project), then get the '63, then find and buy the period correct parts over the coming years, you might end up spending £800 on a pickup, but it will eventually give you an all original '63 (minus the finish of course), you'll certainly learn a lot about vintage Fenders along the way.

However, if it doesn't sound or feel perfect for you now, and a relic does, then get the bass that is going to inspire you to play and make you and the band sound the best it can!

Si

Owning vintage basses is in my experience a very rewarding thing to do. My recommendation would be to save a little more and buy an all-original example. Refrets or minor hardware changes are not the end of the world, but if the body or neck are refinished, however many original parts you source to stick on it, it is still fundamentally undesirable to most vintage buyers.

I have three pre cbs jazz basses, all original. I am just about to buy a refin pre cbs strat - mainly because I will never be able to justify to the chancellor £10k+ for a fully original one, when it is not my main instrument. To me, the only reasons to buy a refin Fender bass are that it's either so cheap it would be rude not to, or that you'll never be in a position to by one with the original finish

If you are umming and ahing about the value then everyone who would buy it from you later on will be as well. It is there, but not there. Bravewood will make you one. I had an original 66 Jazz and a Bravewood 63 P. They both scratched exaxtly the same itch for me.