Why become a member? ×

Cheap bass to buy for recording

sidneyft98

Hey guys.

I've been a guitarist for about 5 years and I record my own music at university. I'm currently considering buying an affordable bass for my recordings. Generally im looking for a versatile bass but with a nice mid-range growl that sounds good with some drive
Lou Barlow's bass here youtube.com/watch?v=emaRhzJgJP8 at around 2:34 shows what im talking about pretty well. I'm aware that Lou plays a really expensive Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 so getting that tone is probably not entirely possible but I'm just using that as a guide.
I also like the idea of a short scale bass such as the Epiphone EB 0 or Squier Jag bass. My budget is probably around £300.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Not sure that "midrange growl" is entirely compatible with short scale, but you never know.

If you can find one, an 80s or 90s SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, ideally an SB320, would be a good choice and still just about within your budget.

It's not like there's any shortage of very nice basses at that price, especially if you include pre-owned, but the SB320 would be my pick.

The best bass in your budget is going to be a Marcus Miller Sire. These are top instruments at a bargain price!

They record very well indeed.

Another good choice would be a vintage series Squier. Don't be put off the Squier name these are quality basses too (and cheaper than a Sire!). In fact, if you shop around you should be able to pick up the Squier and an Epiphone for £300.

[quote name='sidneyft98' timestamp='1480369935' post='3183868']
cheers for all the replies guys. I'm gonna look at everything that's been suggested ^

also on a side note to Burns-bass which squiers are you talking about? im a big fan of the brand (all my guitars are squier jags and jazzmasters) although i havent looked at their basses much
[/quote]

Here's one.
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/vintage_modified_jazz_bass_rosewood_fingerboard_3-color_sunburst.asp?gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9CENIkDVKevTMsU3kVfZ7YxM3QXng5-vqnTaoLv4fhsBoCgXfw_wcB

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1480372305' post='3183916']
Here's one.
[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/vintage_modified_jazz_bass_rosewood_fingerboard_3-color_sunburst.asp?gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9CENIkDVKevTMsU3kVfZ7YxM3QXng5-vqnTaoLv4fhsBoCgXfw_wcB"]http://www.richtonem...4fhsBoCgXfw_wcB[/url]
[/quote]

I was just looking at that. anyone with any experience know if its any good for picked garage rock / grungey sounds

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1480372305' post='3183916']
Here's one.
[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/vintage_modified_jazz_bass_rosewood_fingerboard_3-color_sunburst.asp?gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9CENIkDVKevTMsU3kVfZ7YxM3QXng5-vqnTaoLv4fhsBoCgXfw_wcB"]http://www.richtonem...4fhsBoCgXfw_wcB[/url]
[/quote]

I own one of these, had since 2011. Lovely tone with Duncan Designed pickups, very versatile, gives a good bit of growl if you experiment enough. Always gets compliments in the studio, sometimes from acclaimed producers!

Honestly, you'll be hard pushed to find a bad bass for that kind of cash. As an example I recently bought 2nd hand a 'bass collection' jazz bass for 250 quid (One of the new branded bass collection, not to be mixed up with the nanyo already suggested) and it's an absolute stonker. Sounds wonderful and is so playable. That is now my #1 bass.

2nd hand is the way to go for sure.

Edited by lefrash

As others have said, second-hand might be the way to go. For that budget, you should get something pretty decent.
Buying from a well established BC member is a good way to pick up a used bargain.

If you were asking my advice on a great bass, as others have said, a Precision would be great. Preferably a Classic Vibe Squier, or a VIntage modified (VM) series bass. The Matt Freeman Squier P is superb. Someone on here has a Tokai Hardpuncher for around £300. If you like semi-acoustic basses and short scale, maybe try a Chowny bass.

Also the Squier Jaguar is a great bass, and available in short scale too. So much choice :)
Good luck in your search - remember to try as many as you can, to find the one that suits your needs.

If you tried lots of basses, you may well be amazed at how different they can feel; Weight, balance, neck width, neck depth, body shape / contour, whether there is any neck-dive (and indeed, whether that matters!) The most important factors for you will be how easy it is for you to make a start on bass, and whether it can create that sound that you're after...

Try a few more, but if the Epi Thunderbird is the most comfortable and best sound for you, then that's your bass, but defo try a couple more, and don't rush into just buying the 2nd or 3rd one you've tried. :)

EDIT: I've got quite a few basses (about 2 more than Mrs S thinks I need!) but several of them are very different to each other, and even the ones that are supposed to be similar (P basses) are quite different from one another

Edited by Marc S

I've Gotta admit I'm very surprised that you find an epi t-bird " small " , I find its one of the longer scale basses I own it feels significantly longer in scale than my fenders , my aria's or my status .
This is one of the factors that i enjoy I'm built like a Viking , and standard 6 string scale guitars look like toy's in my paws.

I would say the neck profile on the bolt on Epiphone tbird is in between a jazz width and precision width ( Jazz's tend to be more narrow across the nut than Precision )

What t-birds do it does do is sit very differently from any other bass I own when played seated , the body shape when resting on the rear knee pushes the bass forward .
HOWEVER changes big time when you sit it on a strap ... before you part with your cash on an epi tbird , grab a strap and play it stood up .

Also where are you based ? have you thought about asking a nearby basschatter with a large stable of basses to let you try a few .