Why become a member? ×

Thomann vs Bass Centre experiences

GreeneKing

I hope that I'm in the right section here, if not I expect I'll be shunted.

I added this post to the Thomann thread currently running and thought that it probably deserves it's own spot.

So quoted directly:

PeteD said:

[quote]I haven't had any experience with returns though [Thomann], which can always sour a relationship.[/quote]

My Yamaha BBT500H head packed up about 5 days from the year since I bought it.

I found the returns bit of Thomann's site and emailed them. I got a reply about 2 or 3 days later saying it was being dealt with.

A few days after this I had a DML note through the door saying they'd visited to collect and no-one was in. I re-arranged and it was collected on time.

Two or so weeks passed and another email arrived saying it was done.

A couple of days later the amp arrived all fixed. Great service compared with my present situation.

I bought a new Markbass Little Mark II from the Bass Centre over 2 months ago.

It took a while for them to get it in stock but arrived safely just over a week later.

I set up the amp as per the manufacturers instructions and it basically, to cut a long story short, 'fizzled' and died.

Spoke to BC about returns and discovered that I had to do it off my own back and claim postage afterwards (job still to do).

I have to make all the play with the Bass Centre, I call them for info. The staff have been good to talk too but with one exception every time that they have said they'd call me back they haven't.

There seemed to be some confusion as to whether the Importer had the amp as the Bass Centre couldn't fix it (I actually wanted and expected a new replacement). I spoke to a guy at the Importers and he was rude and defensive.

It seems that my new amp, bought over 2 months ago should now be at the Importers, where they will either repair it or replace it. When? I've no idea, maybe it'll turn up one day. Maybe it's still sat in the shop at BC, gathering dust awaiting collection? I'm still using my BBT and I've almost forgotten I'm supposed to own a new, reliable clean sounding LM II.

Contrast this is all I would ask. And BC, if you're privy to this post you could consider having a system for returns a la Thomann instead of the very haphazard one now in place.

Can you clarify if this is

Bass Centre House of Guitars Brune Street London E1 7NH Phone: 207 247 7847 UK

or

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/cat/index.php"]http://www.basscentre.com/cat/index.php[/url]

Thanks

Also there's a pile of legislation to protect you and you can demand replacement or refund.
If you bought it with a credit card you can get a refund from them and they will take on the company.

If you haven't already done it make a record of everything that has happened with dates, note down the content of all calls and conversations. This is in case youneed to prove things later

I'd call them and say you "reject the goods under the terms of the sale of goods act as not being fit for purpose "and ask for a refund, of all costs. I'd not bother with trying for a replacement, it sounds like the relationshop has gone beyond that. I'd not trust them to do it anyway.

If that doesn't do it you may have to take it to the small claims court.

Your contract is with the supplier (the basscentre) and you should not have to deal with anyone else, whatever they say.

Keep us informed ..
OG

OG

It's the former, Brune Street. Edited: Oops they're both in Brune Street, it's the latter one.

I know that I may appear laid back with this but I'm giving the BC a chance to get the amp, preferably a new one, to me soonest. There is still a way ahead as I see it albeit a seriously delayed one. If this doesn't work out then I'll be acting along the lines you suggest.

Maybe my fairly polite post will come to their attention and prompt them into chasing it up. There's been little evidence than my many phone calls have achieved the same :)

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='2010' date='May 19 2007, 07:33 AM']OG

It's the former, Brune Street. Edited: Oops they're both in Brune Street, it's the latter one.

I know that I may appear laid back with this but I'm giving the BC a chance to get the amp, preferably a new one, to me soonest. There is still a way ahead as I see it albeit a seriously delayed one. If this doesn't work out then I'll be acting along the lines you suggest.

Maybe my fairly polite post will come to their attention and prompt them into chasing it up. There's been little evidence than my many phone calls have achieved the same :)[/quote]

Hummmmmmm Interesting. I'm looking for a MBII and the online basscentre is the best UK price I can find ..
maybe it's worth a few quid more to buy from my local bricks and mortar dealer (if I can't find a used one, that is)

I just got a LMK from Phil Dean at my local shop [url="http://www.rocksteadymusic.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.rocksteadymusic.co.uk/index.htm[/url]

They don't stock Markbass, but it arrived the day after I ordered it, was cheaper than BC, but not as cheap as [url="http://guitare.playback-europe.com/markbass-lmk-7985.html"]http://guitare.playback-europe.com/markbass-lmk-7985.html[/url]

I've had poor aftersales service from the Bass Centre. I avoid dealing with them now.

i have bad experiences with the bass center aswell, i ordered a 2u rack case, but they didnt send me any notification that they didnt have any in stock, so i waited, then phoned up and the guy just said that their internet guy wasn't there. so 2 days later i phoned back again and he said he would phone me back...but didnt!! so another phone called and i actually got an answer, 'a delivery has just arrived and yours should be posted as soon as possible'. so hopefully it will come soon, fingers crossed!

I've ordered a lot of "stuff" from thomman and probably about 20% has arrived damaged (they use DHL who in turn use local delivery knob heads in my neck of the woods). They've allways been good in sending replacement "stuff", but it can be a hit of a hassle since they require photographs of the damage, signed statements etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to say that when I got home on Sunday the LM II was waiting for me. It was the original repaired unit.

It's been about 2 months since the faulty unit was returned at my own expense. The Bass Centre tried to repair it and then passed it back to the importer.

I would have been much happier if a new one had of been winging its way to me while they sorted it out.

A choke (resistor) on the input wasn't soldered into place.

I have to say you were more patient than me with the bass centre they are totaly sh*t completely un-professional, dont knwo what they are selling or working with and genraly terrible buisness men. I have no idea how they still keep going with such a terrible rep they have been gaining.

Im suprised you got a rude response from the importers they were nothing but nice to me, maybe you caught the guy at the wrong time. Little story to back my comments above up:

I will admit at the offset my amp was fully functional and only had a slight fault but none the less a fault on a amp with not much use so I wanted it sorted (quick recap small pop came from amp while being turned off because it wasnt discharging properly faulty power section) .

Rang up bass centre where i got told i would be rang back for about a week finaly i got hold of them when the guy in the workshop was in had a chat to him.
He decided to tell me there was nothing wrong with my amp I must be being paranoid it happens with some amps, i told him he was wrong due to the power supply the amp used again I was told i was most likely wrong and he would contact markbass and find out and ring me back.
I heard nothing tried calling again never got hold of the guy so i contacted markbass got a quick email back saying shouldnt be doing it i was correct send it back to either them who i bought it from or the UK supplier.
I ring bass centre again takes about 3 more days to get hold of the workshop, he then goes arr ok no problem (he also didnt remember me calling before) he would contact the UK distributer and get back to me of corse no phone call.
I ring again rather pissed off this time and o wait I get sorry mate Im going on holiday next week dont have time to deal with it get in contact with the dealer.
I ring UK dealer they take amp back workshop rings me soon as it got it, they either send back to markbass or get the replacment powersection in wasn't sure which and back to me in 3 weeks over the xmas period no less.
I rang the bass centre about recooping shipping exspences the guy to talk too wasnt in I gave up I was far to stressed to follow it up for £20 quid.

+1--- A1 for Thomann from me, I've had no probs with them. They are polite, effiecient and do what they say they are going to! The fact that they are pretty cheap too is a bonus! I WILL USE THEM AGAIN.

I'm not a fan of "The High Street" dealer as IME I have found them , condescending, dissmissive, and in one extreme bordering on bent (ie taking money for orders knowing that they would be in receivership a week later! --Thank you VISA for retrieving my dosh!) My dealings with them is now limited to; if they have something in that I want, I may get it if they can match on-line prices, if not I avoid them.