Why become a member? ×

Why is my Fender Jazz so temperamental sounding?

Jaykingfunk

Evening/morning,

Just got in from a gig and half way through I ended up switching from my jazz to my G&L L2500 as if just sounded rubbish!

I've noticed recently that some days it sounds amazing but others it really doesn't, depends on where I'm playing it but it tends to get worse he more I turn it up?!

It's a MIM jazz deluxe going through a TC Electronics RH750 into a Barefaced Midget. It almost sounds like the battery has run out but I only changed it recnetly!

No real reason.....there must be something mechanical wrong if you lose the sound.

For me the biggest degrader is strings, but that is such an obvious 'fail' which you will have to swap strings.

The reason that such powerful basses are used is because of the power, rather than tone, IMO.

Does your guitarist change their EQ mid-way through gigs?

Jazz's can have a lovely tone but I've found they can be pushed out of the mix by what the guitarist is doing, this is why P's are often popular because they seem to hold their space more firmly (though sometimes don't sound as nice solo'd).