Why become a member? ×

Hatpeg tuners wanted.

tommyjamesallen

• 3 months later...

One of the hatpegs on my 1850 German trade bass disintegrated about 15 years ago. Couldn't find a matching replacment, so I found a local wood turning shop and got the guy to copy one of the remaining pegs. He made me a set of 3 (two spares) for about 20 quid. Then it was a case of experimentation to get the varnish looking right.....

Thanks for the advice Mart but unfortunately I need the whole tuner including the peg and the worm and gear. I'm converting a 3 string bass to a 4 string, I should have made that clear before.
I'm hoping that someone out there might have done the same but upgraded to new tuners, and that they might have some old hat peg types lying around. Anyone?

I bought it at auction last year, I'm currently restoring it. Looks to me like it had been sat somewhere in a unplayable state for a long long time. I think they stopped making 3 stringers around 1920/1930.
I probably will end up putting some modern tuners on, maybe a set of bakers. But I think I'd like to try it as a 3 stringer for a while first.