Why become a member? ×

What can possibly go wrong/Worst gig

paul_c2

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480185693' post='3182397']
Have you ever broken a string ?
[/quote]
Yes - both at practice and once mid gig. In the mid-gig occurrence I didn't have any spare stings or spare bass. We ended up taking an extended break, drove to my mates house, picked up his spare bass, then to my house to get some replacement strings. Got back to the pub about 45 mins later and started playing, no-one really noticed.
Has your amp ever stopped working ?
[/quote]
Yep, mid gig couldn't hear myself any more, turned back to check amp to see smoke gently drifting out the back of it. The amp was literally toast. Just plugged straight into the desk and carried on.

Has one of your pickups ever broken ?
[/quote]
Nope, but prior to playing at a NYE party last year I'd decided to give my gigging bass a strip down and clean which also involved removing the scratch plate. Plugged it in and ... nothing (I'd inadvertently broken the solder on one of the connections). Luckily I had a spare bass with me.

Landmines - because drunk punters.

Lasers - because drunk punters.

Attack dogs - because drunk punters.

Spare bass - because drunk bass player.

In all seriousness, always a good idea to take a backup bass, I've had all the strings fall off my old Warwick on a gig before because I didn't secure them properly in the bridge (first time I'd restrung it and managed to spectacularly mess it up!). If the venue has a decent PA it's worth having a reasonable EQ/DI pedal in your bag just in case your amp packs up you can manage the rest of the gig going straight into the PA. Lots of other good suggestions on here as well, spare batteries, tools etc.

worst thing that I've been responsible for - ignoring the loose jack socket on the bass that had been playing up for a week or two and having the internal wires snap off it as i was playing, leaving me with no output whatsoever. fortunately we were half way through the last song of the set, so my confused look as I fumbled with the leads and boxes didn't last too long. Nothing i could have done at the time, so the only advice I can suggest is to give your bass a thorough check before the gig, unless you're bringing a spare (and if you are, give them both a thorough check). And don't ignore loose sockets...

Worst thing that wasn't to do with me - debut gig of a new band, some "name" (ish, known as biggish fish in a very small pond, and a different genre of pond to the one we were paddling in) players who had got some interested punters in, and a load of mates had all come to a pub in the middle of nowhere to see us for a gig we were doing as a favour to a mate who was trying to launch a new rock night...singer doesn't bother eating all day, has a bottle of port (port, FFS!) on the way to the gig, a few pints while he's there, and we suspect some nasally administered mood enhancer earlier in the day. he not only cannot sing ("dying moose impressions") or remember the lyrics, but could barely stand, and the gig finished when he fell backwards and demolished the drum kit. We were more than happy to cut the set short.

On the plus side one punter (the son of a mate) tells people to this day that his favourite part of any gig ever was me saying to the audience "can somebody pick Dave out of the drum kit please"

I'd much rather play to three men and a dog than ever go through that again...and amazingly it took him doing it again (this time in front of three men and a dog) before we sacked him.

I roadied for a band when I was a kid and we had all sorts of trouble; collapsing stages, fireworks that were supposed to spray sparkes turning into live torpedos in amongst the audience etc. Trouble is, we were all so naive that it was all just a laugh. If anyone had sued......

A lot of years ago we were playing a 'festival', I'd laid my jacket at the front of the stage, near the monitors - mid song I saw some youth going through my jacket pockets, I ran across and kicked him in the mouth without missing a beat - thought that I was going to have trouble with his mates afterwards while I was in a 'bring it on mood' - it messed with my concentration and wasn't a great gig.

When I was younger I would almost always have a dream the night before a gig about the gig going wrong. Eventually I noticed that the gigs always went fine [i]except[/i] on the occasions that I didn't have the dream.

Worst actual awake gigging experience has to be when the singer got frustrated with the drummer for messing up and kicked him out of the band onstage, mid-set (speaking into the microphone the whole time too, now that I think about it). I'm hoping that that remains my worst gig for many years to come.

We forgot extension leads on our first gig as a newly revised band. The pub managed to find a spare 4-way for us. I went straight out and bought a long cable reel from B&Q. Our guitarist would just stand there, bless him, "where do I plug into?". So I had to take care of him too.

We once played a gig where the power suddenly went on all of our gear - transpired that the landlord of the Pub had run a cheap cable reel from the upstairs rooms and changed the fuse in its plug for something beefier than the 3A that the reel was rated for - the sudden power loss was due to the insulation of the cable melting and the resultant short circuit - Oh how we laughed.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1480579949' post='3185495']
We forgot extension leads on our first gig as a newly revised band. The pub managed to find a spare 4-way for us. I went straight out and bought a long cable reel from B&Q. Our guitarist would just stand there, bless him, "where do I plug into?". So I had to take care of him too.
[/quote]

Spare 4 way/Extension lead. An absolute MUST! The amount of times I've turned up to a gig and the guitarist or the keys player sheepishly says "erm... can I plug into your 4 way, I haven't got one...." So annoying! Your gear requires electricity, bring an extension lead you cretin! Not saying you're a cretin DBerriff, more that when people turn up to a gig without the basic gear and expect other people to sort it out for them.

Edited by AdamWoodBass

I was that cretin a few weeks ago when I turned up at a gig (first time out with new band) and found I'd left my extension lead at home. I had broken my golden rule, never take anything out of the gig bag between gigs. Luckily the guitarist had a spare. I got my own back 2 gigs later when he turned up without a plectrum, he ended up using one of my heavy duty jobs all night.

It's when it becomes a regular thing that annoys me. But yeah the golden rule of never taking anything out of the gig bag unless you're on a gig, been there and learned the hard way. Instrument cable was my crime, left it plugged into my PC at home. No one on the gig had a spare but luckily the venue was only 20 mins from my house so I was able to quickly pop back and get it. Now I keep one in my bass case and one in my bag with my stand and other bits.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1480328632' post='3183320']
Worst gig?=.......Pub in the middle of nowhere.No audience. Just the bar staff. And a cab driver taking the numbers up to three briefly but apparently sent to the wrong pub.

This is what can go wrong. Any thing else by comparison is welcome.
[/quote]

The bar in the middle of nowhere with no audience is a good example

So is the owner that hires a band but his clientele has no interest in live music

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1480850565' post='3187494']
Need to teach our drummer that trick, he turned up at last night's gig with several vital bits of kit missing, resulting in a 50 minute drive for the guitarist to collect them (the drummer doesn't drive!).
[/quote]

I think you need to have a word with your Pop Combo. Mr FinnDave - one week its plectrums, the next week it's drum bits...you could always try the classic "I'm not angry...just disappointed.." shtick.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1480857488' post='3187566']
I think you need to have a word with your Pop Combo. Mr FinnDave - one week its plectrums, the next week it's drum bits...you could always try the classic "I'm not angry...just disappointed.." shtick.
[/quote]

True, but the drummer and the pickless plucker are members of two completely separate popular beat combos, of which the only common factor is the bass player, who whores himself out to all and sundry :)

Edited by FinnDave