Why become a member? ×

Glossy Neck Experiences

thegummy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1496384072' post='3310905']

In my own experience I've found Fender glossy necks generally OK and Gibson generally sh*te.

[/quote]
+1 Worst was an otherwise fabulous gloss-black SG Reissue I bought new in 2008. I don't have sweaty hands but this neck was a real problem - and the official Gibson blurb relating to the bass claimed that the nitrocellulose finish they used was something extra special. Extra-specially unfit for purpose maybe?!

Not sure if this has been covered, but right hand grip can be the problem when it comes to 'sticky glossy necks'. If your hand is sticking to the neck, then the chances are your grip could be improved. I've un-taught 'broom handling' to many bass players and they have found that they can play more fluidly and have less problems with shiny necks on hot sweaty gigs. Just a thought which might be helpful!

Dooooood.

Makes no odds to me at all. I have 4 basses, the Aria SB1000 (fretted) and the Jazz (fretless) have gloss necks. The Wal and the Cort (both fretless) have satin finishes. All 4 play beautifully, it never occurs to me what finish it is. I have no problems swapping from one to another, even though the finishes are different. To be honest, I've never understood the thing about neck profiles and string spacing either. All my basses are very different, all feel great, all get played regularly. I use the one that has the sound I want.

I find some sticky and others not... my CIJ Mustang bass feels great live while my Allparts JB neck is sticky when my hands sweat a little.

Still, I would take a satin finish over a glossy one any day of the week.

Your thumb should be the only part of you making contact with the back of the neck and you should release that when you move your hand to place your fingers over the next note.

So playing a bass line should consist of a series of separate thumb placements and glossy/drag/sticky shouldn't come into it.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1496742248' post='3313511']
Not sure if this has been covered, but right hand grip can be the problem when it comes to 'sticky glossy necks'. If your hand is sticking to the neck, then the chances are your grip could be improved. I've un-taught 'broom handling' to many bass players and they have found that they can play more fluidly and have less problems with shiny necks on hot sweaty gigs. Just a thought which might be helpful!

Dooooood.
[/quote]

In spite of my constant attention on left hand position, even with a light touch and proper thumb positioning on the back of the neck, the drag of a bad gloss finish is perceptible. Unless you completely detach your hand from the back of the neck when you change position you'll notice it. Whether or not it bothers you is another matter.

On some of the horrors I've played, you'd struggle to get a tune out of them if you played 'broom handle' by wrapping your thumb over the lowest string because the increased surface area of skin in contact with the neck, along with the clubby and imprecise grip would create terminal drag.