Why become a member? ×

ridiculous deal on Eden WTX264?!

goonieman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1483878169' post='3210745']
Now £199 delivered - so ridiculous that I've just ordered one this morning :) Fyi they're showing 10+ in stock.
[/quote]

Ouch! And I paid £229 for mine! I should have waited a little longer

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1483888563' post='3210852']
Cool, just not sure what you would use it for really. Coffee shop gigs or similar perhaps? From what I have read a drummer would render it a no-no.
[/quote]

This amp will pretty much hold up with a heavy drummer. I am using mine for small to extra medium sized venues. Used it with an 8ohm 1x15 and it was pretty loud. 2 cabs should be fine for most places, might have to crank up the volume a little more but that's why it's there. Any big sized venues you would be taking a di anyway. I have been using this amp the past month and I have been really impressed by it. Although I was using a line 6 lowdown before

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1483888563' post='3210852']
Cool, just not sure what you would use it for really. Coffee shop gigs or similar perhaps? From what I have read a drummer would render it a no-no.
[/quote]

House practice and gig spare backup for me.

Ordered. Been after a small head for gigs when I need to travel on the train, was hoping somewhere would put the Peavey MiniMax in their new year sales (with no luck) but at 199 I'd may as well give this a go first; hopefully it'll manage a light bit of stage monitoring in a not heavy or loud band - we'll see!

Got mine today and had a quick play at home through my Ashdown 210H Neo and TE Compact 115 (individually and together) at medium volume. It's the first D-class I've ever used and I must say that it's exceeded my expectations. The sounds, functionality and quality are really impressive and the volume - even thru a single 8ohm cab - will be enough for a lot of the stuff I do. Big bargain I'd say. Can't wait to try it thru the BF One10 I've ordered - should be a really nice minimalist rig.

Mine arrived today too (great service from Anderton's) - first impressions at low volume; interesting. The build quality is very good, feels like a proper premium amp.

Sound - not what I'm used to. Thats not a negative thing, I just need to have a play with it more at higher volume. At low volumes it has a different inherent sound to my other amp (old 300w solid state Warwick) - lots of bass and a strange mid-y sound, easy enough to change the eq though. I'm not sure what the enhance thing does either, need to play with that too.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic, I think I can get it to sound how I want & a very short blast at higher volume makes me think it'll be loud enough - we'll see.

Obligatory photo for size comparison, the cab is a TKS S112 so you can see the scale.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/greeb0uk/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_194633_zps3dcp0nlo.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/greeb0uk/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170110_194633_zps3dcp0nlo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

"Sound - not what I'm used to."

Same here - I've only used TE for decades and currently have a couple of AH300SMC heads. My first impression with everything centred on the Eden was an unexpected - though not unpleasant - kind of fretless vibe going on, most noticeable on the D & G strings. Further tweaking revealed that there's seemingly endless depths of bass boost available - though I'd question whether much of it is usable. The most important thing for me is that I soon found a sound close to the 'magic' punchy pre-set on my TE amp - close enough to put a smile on my face and probably the closest you could expect to get from any D-class amp.

This short review might be useful:

Eden’s WTX-264 straddles the region between the micro-micros and micros. Like the others in the first group, its power is in the 200-plus range, delivering 260 to 300 watts. Like the second group, the WTX-264 has a few more features, and a price ($449) that goes with them. The front panel of the WRX-264 is filled with knobs and jacks, with six knobs across the top and six jacks (and a Mute switch) right below. The gold-toned front and rear panels, black knurled knobs, flat-black metal jacks, and backlit Eden logo gives it the look and feel of old-school audiophile equipment. Eden’s trademark Enhance control is included on this unit—working much like a contour control on other amps—boosting the highs and lows while cutting the mids. And Eden’s controls are like hot sauce, with a little going a long way.

The WTX-264 uses what Eden calls a “unique, class D power module” that can run off of any power rating you might find—110 or 220 volts, 50 or 60 cycles. Just unplug one power cord, pop in another and you’re ready to go, right off the plane. On the back, you’ll find both a speakON jack and a pair of 1/4" output jacks.
While playing my P bass through the WTX-264, the sound was present, warm, and authoritative. This little amp provided solid punch, yet didn’t get boomy. Likewise, dialing in a bit of Enhance warmed things up without adding any mud. The Bass Boost control on the WTX-264 is a bit unusual, somewhat like the loudness control on some home sound systems that bumps up the lows at low-volume settings, but backs them off when things get louder. Likewise, the Mid Shift control serves double-duty, with a center at either 550 Hz for warm mids or 2.2 kHz for a more present tone. For a price of $449, the WTX-264 offers a voice of its own in a small, sturdy package.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1484127991' post='3212824']
"Sound - not what I'm used to."

Same here - I've only used TE for decades and currently have a couple of AH300SMC heads. My first impression with everything centred on the Eden was an unexpected - though not unpleasant - kind of fretless vibe going on, most noticeable on the D & G strings. Further tweaking revealed that there's seemingly endless depths of bass boost available - though I'd question whether much of it is usable. The most important thing for me is that I soon found a sound close to the 'magic' punchy pre-set on my TE amp - close enough to put a smile on my face and probably the closest you could expect to get from any D-class amp.
[/quote]

I completely get what you mean with 'kind of fretless vibe'. It's a cool thing. Still not sure if I can make it work on a proper stage, though. And I have the wtx500!