Why become a member? ×

Zoom B1XON VS ZOOM B3

Thunderbird

Hi all I know this is an effects question but I thought it would be better if I posted here (mods please move if needed )

Anyway my question is I have been using a Zoom B1XON for a couple of weeks and I really like it so I thought it may be worth upgrading to the Zoom B3 are there really any advantages of doing this and are the effects the same on both units? I do like how the display looks on the B3 as I do find it a bit small on the B1Xon so really what would be the pros or cons of upgrading thanks in advance

The B3 only allows 3 effects, rather than 5 on the B1. It also doesn't have an aux input or an expression pedal built in - although you can add one.

I haven't scrutinised the effects lists, but they're pretty much the same IIRC.

In a gig situation, I'd take the B3 every time. For me it's much easier to use - the 3 footswitches can be used just like they're individual pedals - and much easier to tweak 'on the fly'.
And it's 3x the price...

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1480019456' post='3181132']
The B3 only allows 3 effects, rather than 5 on the B1. It also doesn't have an aux input or an expression pedal built in - although you can add one.

I haven't scrutinised the effects lists, but they're pretty much the same IIRC.

In a gig situation, I'd take the B3 every time. For me it's much easier to use - the 3 footswitches can be used just like they're individual pedals - and much easier to tweak 'on the fly'.
And it's 3x the price...
[/quote]Thanks I was hoping some one was going to say it was easier to use lol :)

The B3 is a metal shell, the B1 is plastic. They have similar processors, ZFX3 for the B1 and ZFX4 for the B3 - but the effects quality is lower on the B1 so that it can run 5 effects at the same time without running out of steam. That said, for the money, the effects are very good, no doubt.

B3 operates in a different way to the B1. Think of the B3 as three separate pedals, the B1 in more familiar multi-effects territory.

Here's someone banging on about the B1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V81vx86c5h0

I've used them both. They're ace. The B3 has the edge for me as you've got the facility to use it as if it were three easily tweakable pedals. It's sturdier, but I never had an issue with the B1....
As I needed a multi fx for live work, I went with the B3 as I find it easier to use. The B1 is great, but if you use a number of patches, it can be a faff to swap between them quickly, unless you plan out your pedal changes in advance. Sound quality wise, I'd say there's nothing in it. Both are really logical to use and build quality is great for both.
For noodling at home or recording, I'd go with the B1. Great sounds at a pocket money price. For live work, it's the B3 for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The B3 is built for idiots... so it's great for me. I have a patch set for each tune and treat it like 3 pedals for each. I have the Zoom expression pedal and find it a really useful addition. Some patches I just use it as a volume pedal, which is useful enough in itself, I also use it assigned to pitch shift. My favourite though, in a one guitar band is to assign it to gain on the Sansamp sim. I have the sim set for the bulk of the tune but then use the pedal to slide in a little more grunt when the guitard isn't filling out the song so much in solo passages.

• Like 1