Why become a member? ×

Basschat at the LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2017

seashell

He was wearing a huge watch. I assume he was incorrectly curling his thumb over the top of the neck rather than placing it correctly in the centre like a proper bass player, in order to support the weight of said watch.

My bass seems to be more well known than me. Fair enough

Yup the 'zebra' bass is mine. My main reason for going to LBGS was to see Jon Shuker, so he could have a fettle. Ended up having a great day. Got a couple of selfies with childhood heroes Dave Ellefson and Stu Hamm, saw performances and masterclasses, met some old friends and bumped into many BCers. What's not to like?

Also, £20 for a 6 month BGM subscription, with a free set of Elite's to take away and a tee shirt sent out later. I snapped that one up

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1488802532' post='3251835']
Regarding the 15 minute quiet period, Couldn't you insist all exhibitors with noisy things to plug them using timed sockets so they just turn off at a set time? Just an idea.
[/quote]

I was on the MSL (Markbass) Stand all weekend. Hi to all who came and said hello, and a big pat on the back to everyone who manned the Basschat stand.. a job well done! I have only just about lost the ringing in my ears!

I love the bass community, what a great and friendly bunch we all are! ...and whoever said that the manufacturers and exhibitors all seem to get on and work together is [i][b]absolutely[/b][/i] right, its great to work among you all - it was the same at the Birmingham Guitar show the week before. Everyone willing, helpful and positive.

I also agree with an earlier comment that, while there was some truly amazing craftsmanship at the show, there was not a lot of the stuff you might want to use playing the local pub gig, and indeed the likes of Promenade were rushed off their feet. Funnily enough I had my quite excellent, but cheap, Squier VM Jazz on the stand, and a number of people just wanted to try that out, because it was probably the only Squier in the vicinity!

The noise is a indeed a big problem, but not necessarily for the reason most would immediately think of... Every year the manufacturers have many dozens of people who want to come to the show to try out the various options of heads, cabs, combos, possibly because their local music shop isn't stocking a big enough selection. With only 15 minutes every hour to make any kind of noise (and believe me, in spite of the din, it was policed VERY closely - this year we all tried very hard to play the game, I assure you!), it is very hard to fit in all the people who want to make some serious decisions, particularly when the manufacturers also have to fit in demonstrations from their endorsee artists... the result? The guy says "....may I compare the Traveller 102p against the 121h please? ... sorry, can't hear much, need more volume...", they turn it up, and so does the excellent Cody Wright, the amazing Remco Hendriks, the fantastic Joey Grant, etc, etc, and for 15 minutes it all gets painfully out of control. The ear splitting airhorn shatters through the racket, and the levels thankfully plummet... and then the guy says "... now, can I just try that with the extension cab plugged in while I still have any chance of hearing it..." wouldn't [i]you[/i], when looking to part with hundreds of quid? I know I would... Ohh, it [i]was[/i] you!

Well, I'm happy to help, while keeping it as quiet as possible, and I'm really sorry if anyone else was inconvenienced. But that's sort of what these shows are for, isn't it?

I'm not sure what the solution is, maybe having a lot more smaller demo rooms, but that wouldn't really be possible at Olympia, and trying to install sound level control equipment which cuts the power wouldn't work, and risks damage to a lot of expensive gear. However, the issue was definitely well noted and accepted by the organisers, so hopefully a more comfortable solution will be found.

I can't wait to see your photos. Did anyone get a pic of that amazing Rikkers with the ash(?) body and pale blue pickups/neck? Did anyone buy it?! Amazing piece of work.... I heard Marc Vanderkley (he's a bit good too!) giving it a workout and it sounded awesome too! I also heard someone suggest that with all the holes in it, without trousers on, it might be possible to play it hands free....!!!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1488831815' post='3252227']
I was on the MSL (Markbass) Stand all weekend. Hi to all who came and said hello, and a big pat on the back to everyone who manned the Basschat stand.. a job well done! I have only just about lost the ringing in my ears!

I love the bass community, what a great and friendly bunch we all are! ...and whoever said that the manufacturers and exhibitors all seem to get on and work together is [i][b]absolutely[/b][/i] right, its great to work among you all - it was the same at the Birmingham Guitar show the week before. Everyone willing, helpful and positive.

I also agree with an earlier comment that, while there was some truly amazing craftsmanship at the show, there was not a lot of the stuff you might want to use playing the local pub gig, and indeed the likes of Promenade were rushed off their feet. Funnily enough I had my quite excellent, but cheap, Squier VM Jazz on the stand, and a number of people just wanted to try that out, because it was probably the only Squier in the vicinity!

The noise is a indeed a big problem, but not necessarily for the reason most would immediately think of... Every year the manufacturers have many dozens of people who want to come to the show to try out the various options of heads, cabs, combos, possibly because their local music shop isn't stocking a big enough selection. With only 15 minutes every hour to make any kind of noise (and believe me, in spite of the din, it was policed VERY closely - this year we all tried very hard to play the game, I assure you!), it is very hard to fit in all the people who want to make some serious decisions, particularly when the manufacturers also have to fit in demonstrations from their endorsee artists... the result? The guy says "....may I compare the Traveller 102p against the 121h please? ... sorry, can't hear much, need more volume...", they turn it up, and so does the excellent Cody Wright, the amazing Remco Hendriks, the fantastic Joey Grant, etc, etc, and for 15 minutes it all gets painfully out of control. The ear splitting airhorn shatters through the racket, and the levels thankfully plummet... and then the guy says "... now, can I just try that with the extension cab plugged in while I still have any chance of hearing it..." wouldn't [i]you[/i], when looking to part with hundreds of quid? I know I would... Ohh, it [i]was[/i] you!

Well, I'm happy to help, while keeping it as quiet as possible, and I'm really sorry if anyone else was inconvenienced. But that's sort of what these shows are for, isn't it?

I'm not sure what the solution is, maybe having a lot more smaller demo rooms, but that wouldn't really be possible at Olympia, and trying to install sound level control equipment which cuts the power wouldn't work, and risks damage to a lot of expensive gear. However, the issue was definitely well noted and accepted by the organisers, so hopefully a more comfortable solution will be found.

I can't wait to see your photos. Did anyone get a pic of that amazing Rikkers with the ash(?) body and pale blue pickups/neck? Did anyone buy it?! Amazing piece of work.... I heard Marc Vanderkley (he's a bit good too!) giving it a workout and it sounded awesome too! I also heard someone suggest that with all the holes in it, without trousers on, it might be possible to play it hands free....!!!
[/quote]

On Sunday up in the top corner, Sims, Ernie Ball & Anaconda decided to split the 15min in to 5 min each so they didn't drown each other out. Worked ok, but they were still getting drowned out by Proamp on the other side of the hall !

I've not figured this out properly but something like...
Split the area into 4 quadrants.
Each quadrant has only one loud stand for x minutes and the stands within the quadrant take it in turns. Therefore, the whole place only has a max of 4 loud stands and they should be a reasonable distance apart. Also, there'll be less waiting time.
This goes belly-up if you've got one stand next to another in a different quadrant but if the organisers arrange the displays so that the edges are non-sound stands then it should be close. I realise organising this would be a headache....making sure there's a similar amount of sound-enabled stands and whatnot but might be better than when I was stood near The Epicentre of Din.

That said, still had a good laugh and it was really good to meet the other bcers.

Took a wrong tube and ended up at Edgeware from Kensington High St. No tube back, had to bus it to King's X.

[quote name='G-77' timestamp='1488845410' post='3252405']

... Sims, Ernie Ball & Anaconda decided to split the 15min in to 5 min each so they didn't drown each other out. Worked ok, but they were still getting drowned out by Proamp on the other side of the hall !
[/quote]

As said, we do all do get together and try our best to make it work.

Overall its a relatively small space, so I'm sure sometimes even Markbass, in the opposite corner of the hall disturbed people trying basses with Simms, Earnie Ball and Anaconda, and vice versa. At its loudest its never "one player" trying to drown everyone out, but a cumulative low frequency din.

For next year's guitar show we are looking to demonstrate DVMark gear using loadbox/cab simulators and headphones, but as has already been mentioned here, thats not so easy at lower frequencies, and people still want to hear "how loud can something that small really go..?".

So maybe we also just to accept that, hey, its a bass show for heaven's sake... We'll do what we can, but it is going to be a bit of a din!

I have to say, I was far more frustrated by it taking me over 40 minutes just to get out of the multistorey car park (oh, and for it costing £64!!), and another 40 minutes to get my van to the load bay to bundle everything in and get on the road!

I don't think I have ever seen so many 40 to 70 year old knitters, precicion sorting/loading 3 Ikea bags of wool into their Nissan Micra and blocking the area for everyone else!

You definitely had to get into the right queue - blood splattered zombies (one guy was walking around with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire :-), knitters, brides to be, and of course bass players.
This was my first LBGS and I loved it. Met some great people & heard some great music.

There was a sweet old dear in the lift that asked me what was going on on the 3rd floor. I told her as the doors opened on the knitting floor. 'I'd better get off here then... my bass playing is rubbish'.

Regarding technique, there was some amazing shredding going on and loads of techniques that I hadn't seen before on bass (tapping up and down the neck at the same time with two different hands), but I have to say that I loved Glen Matlock's comment "I don't do any of that fancy stuff" as he brought a bit of punk/old school attitude to the proceedings.
Also I thought Dave Ellefson from Megadeath did a great session - awesome tone & sound.
And Remco seemed to create a wall of sound over at the Eich amps stand seemingly without hardly moving his fingers...very nice.
BTW I'm not intending to kick-off a discussion about old-school vs latest techniques here - just a bit of feedback on the event.

Very much enjoyed watching Igor Saavedra showing off his ridiculous Prat custom 9 string and his signature PJB rig. Really nice guy as well, had a really indepth conversation about his technique. I have a video of him playing which I will upload when I get chance.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1488885627' post='3252590']
Was anyone in the Scott Devine masterclass on the Saturday? What were the 3 tunes they played? I know one of them was a Meters tune but the other two I have no idea but the riffs have been stuck in my head ever since!
[/quote]

The first one was Look Ka Py Py, the last was Chameleon. Can't help on the other one I'm afraid.

We really enjoyed the show.

We had a great time on the Basschat stand and it's given us lots of ideas about how to improve the stand next year. We gave out hundreds of lanyards, plus Rik and I made our fiancees come along and they helped get people to sign up on the spot.

Noise was fine, I thought - yes it got a bit loud during the loud period, but really it wasn't that bad if you had some ear protection and you could always go to the other end of the venue and have a cuppa if you found it too much. Personally I think some of the playing was a bit repetitive and the worst players seemed to be the loudest, but hey, it's a bass guitar show. Live and let live.

I actually much preferred having lots of smaller companies at the show rather than mourn the loss of larger companies. They hold little interest for me, and it opens the door to independent builders like Stonesfield (who were brilliant) and the atmosphere was really friendly and collaborative as a result. Christine and I walked around the stands chatting and meeting these guys many of whom I've only talked to by email before, so it was great to meet Marleaux and LeFay.

We'll be there next year just for the fun of it, but with a more thoroughly planned stand (no more sellotaping a poster to the wall) although we all agreed the 'home made' feel at our stand was really quite inviting.

It was great to meet so many of you, so thanks for coming to say hi to one of us.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1488654900' post='3250871']
Dropped by the basschat stand, but the folks there didn't seem too chatty.
[/quote]

Genuinely surprised at this - we made a massive effort to engage with anyone who even made eye contact, so much so I was fully shattered after each day. Did you come over to the stand and say hello? Sorry if I/we missed you

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1488891606' post='3252667']
It's the other one I'm trying to figure out lol! Ah well, might message him on Facebook and see if he can tell me! Can you remember the name of that Brazillian drummer? That guy was a monster!
[/quote]

Cleverson? Yeah, a real beast.