Why become a member? ×

Basschat at the LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2017

seashell

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1488476838' post='3249318']
I am far from an expert, but I would imagine from Kings Cross, go to High Street Kensington, and walk straight down Kensington High Street. Takes about 10 minutes to walk, and you can`t get lost
[/quote]

Is it really that close! Ok well I'm up for a challenge. If you never hear from me again please search the Kensington area

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1488485537' post='3249440']

Is it really that close! Ok well I'm up for a challenge. If you never hear from me again please search the Kensington area
[/quote] If you go onto google maps and get directions from high street kensington to Olympia it will tell you it is 0.6 miles. It really is that simple you cant go wrong unless you turn the wrong way out the station.

Edited by timmo

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1488536120' post='3249709']
Haven't checked, but I'm assuming there's parking at Olympia?

Also, does anyone take a bass with them or not?
[/quote]

I think I parked there once and it was a bit busy so I'm sure there's better places nearby. You can take bass to try out some amps and such but if you go to watch something in the main hall it might be a bit of a pain to lug about.

I've been working on the nest 'meet times' for the BC stand to try and avoid clashes with the stage and masterclasses and also space them out for different times of the day. Roughly this is planned:

Sat
12:15
2:00
3:30

Sun
12:15
2:00

Obviously feel free to drop by any time but this is so that you can all congregate at a given time to meet other BCers!

Cheers
ped

[/quote]I have seen people with basses, but not that many. I guess it is worth it if you want to buy an amp, but the amp manufacturers have basses knocking around for you to use.
I have no idea on parking, but unless you want something like an amp, you might be better going to somewhere like Ruislip and getting the tube in. The parking is around £2 or £3 for the day at the station, and about a fiver round trip to Olympia. it takes around one hour to get there from Ruislip. That is where I am aiming for.
There is a multi story car park close by.
http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/olympia_multi_storey_p3/w14/london/?arriving=201703031330&leaving=201703031530

Edited by timmo

[/quote]

There is, but it's expensive and for big shows it gets full very quickly. It's far better to drive so far, then jump on the underground.

Beaten to it.

Edited by Grangur

The shopping centre at Ealing Broadway has a large car park too. Anyone know if Hammersmith still has one?
However, I agree with those who don't recommend driving to Olympia. The nearby Kensington High Street is a shopping destination and it creates complete chaos in the area throughout the week.
I'm lucky enough to live less than 20 minutes by bus from the venue, provided I travel outside the shopping rush hour, which I will do anyway.

See you guys there on both days! wear your lanyards - I'll be wearing mine. :)

Just got an email:

[size=5][color=#0B141B][font=arial, sans-serif]Please check your journey before you travel this weekend[/font][/color][color=#0B141B][font=arial, sans-serif]. There is no service on the District Line between Earl's Court and Kensington Olympia, and no service on the Overground between Clapham Junction and Kensington Olympia. [/font][/color][/size]

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1488546861' post='3249890']
I have seen people with basses, but not that many. I guess it is worth it if you want to buy an amp, but the amp manufacturers have basses knocking around for you to use.
I have no idea on parking, but unless you want something like an amp, you might be better going to somewhere like Ruislip and getting the tube in. The parking is around £2 or £3 for the day at the station, and about a fiver round trip to Olympia. it takes around one hour to get there from Ruislip. That is where I am aiming for.
There is a multi story car park close by.
[url="http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/carpark/olympia_multi_storey_p3/w14/london/?arriving=201703031330&leaving=201703031530"]http://en.parkopedia...ng=201703031530[/url]
[/quote]

If you go from Ruislip Garden on the Central Line to Shepherds Bush and walk down to Olympia it about 20min on the Train and a 20min walk. Assuming it is in the usual rooms at Olympia, the entrance is at the Hammersmith end of the building near North End Road. Also there is Walker-stalker-con, a Zombie event on in the main hall try not to end up in the wrong room! :D

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1488558745' post='3250057']

[size=5][color=#0B141B][font=arial, sans-serif]Please check your journey before you travel this weekend[/font][/color][color=#0B141B][font=arial, sans-serif]. There is no service on the District Line between Earl's Court and Kensington Olympia, and no service on the Overground between Clapham Junction and Kensington Olympia. [/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Yes, I said it is not available on sunday, but it is working on saturday

[quote name='G-77' timestamp='1488573145' post='3250248']
If you go from Ruislip Garden on the Central Line to Shepherds Bush and walk down to Olympia it about 20min on the Train and a 20min walk. Assuming it is in the usual rooms at Olympia, the entrance is at the Hammersmith end of the building near North End Road. Also there is Walker-stalker-con, a Zombie event on in the main hall try not to end up in the wrong room! :D
[/quote] According to the website, it takes 40 minutes by tube from Ruislip to Barons Court, and Ruislip Gardens to Shepards Bush. Walk from Barons Court. 0.5 miles, and Shepards Bush 1.2 mile walk

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1488478086' post='3249331']
I have 2 free tickets for Sunday if anyone wants them.

I bought my ticket for Sunday a few weeks ago but just for fun entered a competition and have just won two tickets.

First come first served.
[/quote]

Both tickets now gone to new owners.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1488555564' post='3250014']
I'll be there Sunday! Possibly with a baby haha

Si
[/quote]

Naawwwww super cute! My lil bub is a bit too small this time, so you'll have to bear with me as I scroll through a photo roll of his first month :) Flown by!

Well, I went.
Saw Stu Hamm, met Stu Hamm, gave Stu Hamm a tenner for a signed Stu Hamm CD, saw Stu Hamm outside as I was leaving and said bye, Stu!
Played some basses, including a couple of fanned fret ones (surprisingly easy to adapt to).
Tried a pocket-sized 200W Trace Elliot amp.
Got a real headache from lots of bunched together stands playing loud (which on occasion made my skull resonate!).
Had a quick chat with a nice bloke about Moog Minitaur & Roland bass pedals.
Dropped by the basschat stand, but the folks there didn't seem too chatty.
Saw lots of varied basses - very few Fender derivatives.
Saw Phil from Bass Gear, who was there helping out on a stand.
Bought a raffle ticket but didn't win.
Got a free bag from Markbass.

Trains from woking to clapham redirected so stood up for an hour doing that part of the journey with 20 other people in a corridor!
Got past all the zombies to get in. Went and had a look (and tried) the ACG, had a look round the other stands. Went to see the bass player from Megadeath, then went to the scots bass lesson, then picked up a SRF705 that I had arranged to buy on here, then wandered round a bit, said hi at the basschat stand to Ped, then was going to leave and wandered into the Luthier room where mr sandberg was giving a talk which was good.
Went back to clapham, went past the 2 cancelled trains, got in another which was redirect and taking 40 mins instead of 20, then stopped because of someone on the line so was an hour and a half.

Now home. Not a bad day out, saw a lot of interesting things, and got a new bass!