Why become a member? ×

Basschat at the LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2017

seashell

Enjoyed Saturday. Managed to get up to Olympia early taking the overground. Balked at the huge queue (and zombie) outside until I realised it was for one of the quieter events - knitting, weddings, childcare. Still unsure where the zombie fitted into this...

Inside I grabbed a coffee and almond croissant at the cafe before it got too busy (nice coffee) and went to see Andrew Gouche as I was earlier than expected. I was also trying to step outside my comfort zone and see bassists I wouldn't normally see. Pretty impressed with the first masterclass. Thought there was a good mix of playing and talk and he came across as a down to earth yet talented musician.

Wandered around the stands but nothing really really grabbed me. It was noisy but not as noisy as it has been some years - I didn't stay too long two years ago. Ended up exploring London when I walked back to Victoria. Picked up a EBMM to play. Entered their competition. Asked to buy a raffle ticket. Went to Chris May's session in the Luthier's Room. Rather good. Would have liked to have chatted to him afterwards but he was chatting to someone else. (Would have liked to have chatted to a few people but either too noisy or people very busy. Was next to Mo Foster and Dave Swift at various times.)

Next I caught David Ellefson. Not into Metal but he was really insightful about his playing with a pick as was Cody Wright. Wow! He was superb. I play mostly with a pick so really interesting to see two bassists back to back who were discussing using plectrums. Ate lunch whilst watching Ida Nielsen.

Had another wander around the stalls. Bought my daughter a wrist band with a pick on it. Picked up a fret wrap for myself. Spent less than £20.

Really wanted to see Glen Matlock but needed to get back home before he was on. Seems like I missed a treat.

Edited by Mister RLP

The Zombies were attending a "Walking Dead" event - haven't seen it myself. Hilarious being confronted by one whilst we were getting off the train. Just wish I'd been prepared with a camera ready. We were travelling home with a mum and her two children who had bought a"baseball bat" covered in "barbed wire" - all made of plastic but looked very realistic.

Another brilliant weekend. I agree with those who said Glen Matlock was the star of the show. But Ida Nielson was fantastic as well. Her performance today was phenomenal. David Ellefson was also amazing.

I loved all the performances and workshops. I stayed over in London on the Sat night and I may have had a few ales. I am very very tired now. :-)

Just got home after a flaming long day out.

Not bad for a first major bash, but next time I shall take a pair of ear plugs (errr, was anyone actually taking any notice of the 15 mins per hour "quiet time" - think it needs to be enforced a bit more next year)

Just bought a couple of bass books - nothing too fancy.

David Ellefson was pretty cool.

My better half said that the knitting show was "OK(ish)", but I think she is lying as all she talked about on the way home was a spinning wheel that she tried out - apparently when it comes to GAS we are but beginners when compared to those ladies (and gents) of the knitting fraternity/sorority!!!

I was sorry to have missed this, but had to work :-(
Would've loved to see Glen Matlock, plus the usual BC suspects!
The comments about the lack of exhibitors, does this not come out every year? A smaller venue perhaps. Plus the provision for refreshments is woeful. I also note the earplugs comments. I can't see why headphones should be mandatory with selfish bastards having their power cut. I'm pretty sure the difference is obvious been checking something out and showing off.

Edited by Billy Apple

I was there most of Saturday afternoon. Engineering works on my train line into London meant a 2 hour round trip became a 4 hour trip, but hey ho.

My main purpose for visiting was to meet Xaver Tremel of Franz Basses, as he's making me another bass and it was a rare opportunity for us to meet up. I ended up spending all my time at his spot, and it was lovely to chat with the players who stopped by and played his basses.

In more general terms, it was my first time to the LBGS and I was surprised at how low key it seemed. I expected it to be rammed, but actually Saturday afternoon didn't feel that busy at all. That said, I had hoped to catch up with a few people (Alan from Synergy, Mark from Bass Direct), but they were always busy when I stopped by.

I wore earplugs the whole time, which made it a much more pleasurable experience. Someone should invent a portable circuit breaker linked to a decibel meter though - it would have come in really handy!

One other point is that I love how friendly our bass playing community is. Manufacturers don't seem to regard each other as rivals, more like kindred spirits, and the general vibe was very warm and friendly.

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1488756906' post='3251607']
During the weekend I've taken just over 2,000 photos, exceeding all my previous LBGS counts. :o
[/quote]

thats a LOT of editing! (RAW files?)

Thanks for everyone who came to say Hi at the stand!

Boy do we have some stories to tell :lol:

Sunday was a LOT busier than Saturday though. The dingwall NG2 6 string was definitely the best sounding bass of the show for me and the Greenburl Shuker was the best playing (didn't get a chance to hear it properly).

Went on Saturday for the first time - caught the masterclasses from Andrew Gouche & Ida Neilsen, both of whom were excellent. Saw the Shez Raja Collective performance, also wonderful. Caught a little of the Dmitry Lisenko performance, which was lovely, though not really my cup of tea. Left when his wife started singing :(

Liked some of the basses that were there to try out, particularly from the niche exhibitors. It was noisy, but less so than expected. I went with my partner who is a regular at the Drum show, so was interesting to chat about differences/similarities

Hey guys and girls, I was the guy on the Shuker stand helping Jon out. Thanks a million to all of you that came to have a chat and have a play of the basses - although a combination of the guys on Rhinegold stand and some slightly unbalanced decisions by the noise police made trying things out a bit difficult, despite the loan of a brilliant little Barefaced cab (I now know what I'm buying next!). The turquoise bass must have been the most photographed bass in the show and even caught the attention of a certain Mr Ellefson who came over to have a look - thanks to Dood! I'm sure you'll all be delighted to know that it's found a great new home in Plymouth! Ped, Charic - where's the Basschat selfie??

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1488796162' post='3251753']
Hey guys and girls, I was the guy on the Shuker stand helping Jon out. Thanks a million to all of you that came to have a chat and have a play of the basses - although a combination of the guys on Rhinegold stand and some slightly unbalanced decisions by the noise police made trying things out a bit difficult, despite the loan of a brilliant little Barefaced cab (I now know what I'm buying next!). The turquoise bass must have been the most photographed bass in the show and even caught the attention of a certain Mr Ellefson who came over to have a look - thanks to Dood! I'm sure you'll all be delighted to know that it's found a great new home in Plymouth! Ped, Charic - where's the Basschat selfie??
[/quote]

Hey Pete, it was a pleasure to meet you on a Saturday, thanks for taking the time to talk :)

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1488796162' post='3251753']
[/quote]

Great to meet you too, that turquoise bass was ridiculously playable. I'd never considered having a ramp because I have quite a heavy handed playing style but I'm pretty sure I'm going down that route now!

Ped has the selfie so I'm sure it'll be up soon :)

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1488802532' post='3251835']
I'll try and get down to this one day, seems like there was some nice, shiny toys to be seen :happy:

Regarding the 15 minute quiet period, Couldn't you insist all exhibitors with noisy things to plug them using timed sockets so they just turn off at a set time? Just an idea.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that could cause a few things to blow :lol:

Many thanks go to Guy Meredith from Bass Guitar Magazine who did some great work behind the event and facilitated the signing of a Top hat which will be raffled at the next Harts Bass Bash.

Signed by the pro players and luthiers who attended the event.

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Signed%20Top%20Hat17/IMG_20170306_141404_zpszlvk6vxl.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Signed%20Top%20Hat17/IMG_20170306_141404_zpszlvk6vxl.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/Signed%20Top%20Hat17/IMG_20170306_141305_zps3snjzijt.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/Signed%20Top%20Hat17/IMG_20170306_141305_zps3snjzijt.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1488818362' post='3252036'] Can anybody confirm whether [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]David Ellefson was wearing a wristwatch or not?[/font][/color] [/quote]

I have some closeups of him talking to Dood and Jon Shuker, but can't see for all the leather.......... :D

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1488802266' post='3251831'] Hey Pete, it was a pleasure to meet you on a Saturday, thanks for taking the time to talk :) [/quote] [quote name='charic' timestamp='1488803115' post='3251841'] Great to meet you too, that turquoise bass was ridiculously playable. I'd never considered having a ramp because I have quite a heavy handed playing style but I'm pretty sure I'm going down that route now! Ped has the selfie so I'm sure it'll be up soon :) [/quote]

Likewise guys... Its always good to shoot the breeze with like minded bass nuts... :)