Why become a member? ×

Help to Identify this Marlin bass please.....

FuNkShUi

I recall seeing that model around years back. Although I don't know what its' name or model number is....
Although someone I knew had one, and I'm sure it was mid to late 80's
Have you just bought it Kert? Or will it be a future project? i.e. are you gonna make this one sparkly too? :)

Hey Kert, I reckon far east manufactured, Marlins were east German made up until the late eighties (Slammer and Sidewinder guitars / Basses) and then Korea up until they ceased in the late nineties. I'd say it's not worth a lot unfortunately, certainly sub £100. They were distributed by Hohner IIRC..Entry level stuff, and not a patch on today's entry level stuff either..

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1479828171' post='3179609']
Hey Kert, I reckon far east manufactured, Marlins were east German made up until the late eighties (Slammer and Sidewinder guitars / Basses) and then Korea up until they ceased in the late nineties. I'd say it's not worth a lot unfortunately, certainly sub £100. They were distributed by Hohner IIRC..Entry level stuff, and not a patch on today's entry level stuff either..
[/quote]
I agree on the Slammers, but that one has an interesting body shape though as well as a J pup and better bridge. So I'd expect it would get more.

Do you know any more about the build?

I guess the ultimate answer is stick on Evil-bay and see what it goes for; that's the law of economics.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479828516' post='3179610']
I agree on the Slammers, but that one has an interesting body shape though as well as a J pup and better bridge. So I'd expect it would get more.

Do you know any more about the build?

I guess the ultimate answer is stick on Evil-bay and see what it goes for; that's the law of economics.
[/quote]

I don't know any more unfortunately, I just think it was a case of them trying to make something a bit more interesting, but ultimately they are still cheap stuff from a time when cheap usually meant nasty as well. Not always the case! YMMV!

I'd agree, let eBay decide..

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1479826884' post='3179591']
I recall seeing that model around years back. Although I don't know what its' name or model number is....
Although someone I knew had one, and I'm sure it was mid to late 80's
Have you just bought it Kert? Or will it be a future project? i.e. are you gonna make this one sparkly too? :)
[/quote]
Yep me too - late 80s for sure

I remember these, at this time (1984 or 5) pretty much every manufacturer had a black/red binding range. Marlin were cheapos and despite the optimism/hubris of some Ebay sellers, they're still seen that way. Might make £100 if you're lucky. Or just keep it for its oddness & novelty value (like I would).