Why become a member? ×

What strings for jazz bass...

Dutchie

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1479820610' post='3179521']
What type of music are you planning to play?That will have a lot to do with the type of string and the gauge you choose and I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but it would seem to be the first thing to consider.This will also affect how you set up your bass.
Ooops,just got the posting re your string purchase before I could send this,sounds like a reasonable choice though.
Have fun.
[/quote]

I'm into all music styles, but would like to learn basics as I'm a complete beginner and still getting fingers stuck between the strings and fret board! lol

Edited by Dutchie

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479821532' post='3179532']
Thanks, I saw those videos before, but I don't want to tamper with truss rod, after seeing my wife snap the string last night when tuning i realise how fragile they are!
[/quote]

I never let my wife anywhere near my basses or my strings. :D

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479824642' post='3179568']
I've learn't my first lesson: Don't let wife touch bass, look but don't touch!
[/quote]

I'd really recommend getting someone to help you change those strings. I remember when I first started playing the guitar it was sometimes very difficult to tune because I couldn't tell if it was too high or too low, and I'd often break a string. I would certainly recommend at least tuning it by ear rather than using a digital tuner. Using a tuner from miles out of tune is when you end up breaking strings. Use the tuner to fine tune (if you need to) after getting it nearly there by ear:

http://www.jamplay.com/tools/free-online-bass-guitar-tuner

select 'tune by ear' and 'standard'

I've watched a few you tube videos today (thanks to the guys on here who linked them) and got home and put the new strings on. The E string was a bit of a struggle, I trimmed around 5 inches above the tuning peg on each string, folded the string at about 1.5 cm (to fit in the holes) and got a good low wind onto the pegs. Once they were all done and tightened up a bit I stuck on the tuner and bingo! I did notice that the neck had straightend out a bit over night, so I'll leave it again and check tomorrow as before it did have a very, very slight curve.

If it plays up, I'll get a technician to have a look.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479821532' post='3179532']
Thanks, I saw those videos before, but I don't want to tamper with truss rod, after seeing my wife snap the string last night when tuning i realise how fragile they are!
[/quote]
Wives are fragile things. Take care of her.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1479804866' post='3179337']
If you are going to play then you need to replace the strings, new strings transform the bass and make them more exciting to play.
[/quote]
That is true for roundwounds, flatwounds get better with age. I agree with all the rest of your advice though. :)