Why become a member? ×

Slap string advice

lowlandtrees

I have just strung my DB with Evah Pirazzi Slap strings. I love them but the E string is too slack. Does not have the same resonance or volume as the others and rattles. It has had a pro set up. Any ideas for a compatible string. I tried an Innovation Silver Slap but it has a totally different sound, much more growl than the Evahs. At the moment I play roots/rockabilly stuff so need a low tension string that will slap but do not wish to limit the bass to that. Will try to put a link to the Evahs below.

http://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Evah-Pirazzi-Slap/

Hmm, I was gonna say silver slap as I've found them a good blend with guts on some basses, maybe try a belcanto or other fabric cored classical string as it probably wouldn't have the sustain although it wouldn't slap so we'll .
I was suprised how much tension a lenzner wound gut E has on one of my basses.
Unfortunately it's probably a case of trying loads, I've been suprised how certain basses like certain strings and it can be a long and rocky road finding the right combinations

If you can get hold of an Innovation Braided 140RB E string try that ... a dark sounding string that slaps nicely, with plenty of sustain and projection. Matches gut, doesnt have the boing of Silverslaps.
It's remarkably similar to the EP slap actually...
Or try Presto .. Light or Standard guage,
You talking Lenzner wound or plain gut? Dont get plain gut unless you know what you're getting into... vey different sound, different technique to get projection out of it. Useless for pizz.

But I'm surprised you're finding that with the Pirazzi Slap E ... it sounds lovely and rich and dark and loud and bassy on my Mortone. Less good on my Kay funnily enough, lacks a bit of balls.
But it certainly isn't slack, neither does it rattle, on either bass.
At that price I cant imagine you're too pleased with the result!

So maybe its just your bass

I too was about to suggest Innovation Silver (or Gold)
Recently, I had a set of Weedwackers on a bass, they were great for slapping, but, just as in your case
The E string just had no sustain, and was a bit "weedy". When my new set of Silver Slaps arrived
I initially just tried putting the E on, but again, like yourself - I found it was a sound totally incompatible with the Weedwackers....
So I know where you're coming from...

How about a Spirocore Weich E, or an Innovation Honey E ?
Good luck with your search, and let us know how you get on.... I'm intrigued now :)

Just measured the action on my E string at the end of the FB and it is barely 8mm and more like 7mm. Is there any way of bringing the E string action up....like a spacer or a piece of tubing....without reducing the sound quality? I have seen such a thing before but can' t remember where.
I think that putting a packer or a pick up under the foot of the bridge would be a mistake. Just spent over £700 on the bass so not really want to do a bridge replacement.
Are Spiro Weichs slappable?

Way to low for a gut type E , if you've got an an adjustable bridge you could get the heights changed by taking down the A D G and winding it up , if not it may be worth spending even more money on a bridge as it could be cheaper than more strings .unfortunately string height is key for lower tension strings
What are the other string heights?

Edited by spencer.b

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1480942765' post='3188204']
Way to low for a gut type E , if you've got an an adjustable bridge you could get the heights changed by taking down the A D G and winding it up , if not it may be worth spending even more money on a bridge as it could be cheaper than more strings .unfortunately string height is key for lower tension strings
What are the other string heights?
[/quote]The other strings are around 9mm. I have been quoted £200 for a new bridge....owwch.....the top is whatsitcalled carved so fitting is not something that I feel good about doing myself. The luthier did suggest that it needed a new bridge to be fair.

I've raised a bridge using milliput epoxy paste ... it's like a superhard wood filler, get it on amazon.

Mix the two parts, and roll paste into 2 small flat squares a few mm thick, slightly wet the feet of the bridge and stick the squares on, then lay some cling film across the belly of the bass before pressing the bridge gently but firmly down into place. Hold the bridge in place with string tension ... not too much to squeeze the milliput shims out.

Once set, lift the whole thing off, peel away clingfilm, then sand down the edges of the milluput so flush with the bridge feet edges. If you're lucky, thats it ... if you need to reduce the height a little, stick some fine sandpaper onto belly and rub bridge back and forth to sand down the new shims. Keep it vertical .... dont want to round those feet off. .

DIY ... a lot cheaper than luthier, and you get to know your bass.