Why become a member? ×

Upside down necks. Cool or not cool?

uk_lefty

Watched some YouTube music videos yesterday and came across a few "upside down" guitar necks, a nod to Jimi no doubt. These were all around the 80s I reckon.... But the question is are they cool or not? And why? And would you?

Edited by uk_lefty

Aesthetics, basically, but it does have a physical side-effect.

As someone who's owned a number of guitars with reverse headstocks, it makes a difference with tension when it comes to bends. More string behind the nut = an easier bend, so the treble strings are stiffer, bass are looser. Note this doesn't change the string's tension for tuning, just for bends, and with regular gauge strings it's not hugely noticeable unless you're doing extreme stuff.

Dunno about "cool" (whatever that is) but I like them.

I've been waiting for years for a suitably cheap lefty/maple/pearl blocks J neck to come up for a project I have in mind. Haters are at liberty to hate but if anyone's got a neck like that under the bed - PM me!

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1479319709' post='3175642']
Aesthetics, basically, but it does have a physical side-effect.

As someone who's owned a number of guitars with reverse headstocks, it makes a difference with tension when it comes to bends. More string behind the nut = an easier bend, so the treble strings are stiffer, bass are looser. Note this doesn't change the string's tension for tuning, just for bends, and with regular gauge strings it's not hugely noticeable unless you're doing extreme stuff.
[/quote]

The word you are looking for is "Compliance".

I suppose it's all down to your playing technique, but personally I already find the lower strings from a standard gauge set for both guitar and bass too floppy for my tastes therefore, I would avoid anything that was going to make them more so. I'm using 10-52, with a 56 for low E for my guitars in drop D and still feel that I could go a bit heavier on the bottom three. Likewise on the bass, if making up custom gauge sets wasn't so hideously expensive I would be experimenting with finding a slightly heavier A and a much heavier (or stiffer) E and B with a standard 40G, 60D.

I own one guitar with a reversed headstock, but it's also fitted with a Floyd Rose locking vibrato and nut, so there aren't any compliance issues for me. On the bass I find that the typical 4 in line headstock puts the furthest tuner just out of comfortable reach, so I wouldn't want to be doing anything like flipping the headstock over to make it even more difficult for me.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1479391581' post='3176187']
Does "different" = "cool"?? If so, then they're cool - anything which distinguishes you from the crowd...
[/quote]

Possibly, but does being a complete gimp not also distinguish one from the crowd?

I have known a few f***wits and they were anything but cool.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1479320661' post='3175655']
Not cool.They could be put on proper left handed instruments.
[/quote]

For a lefty, it gives the option of loads of 'righty' necks to use.. This maple strat neck is far better than the lefty r/w it came with.