Why become a member? ×

SOLD - PLEASE LOCK: US-made late 70s or early 80s Fender Precision
£525

Kitsto

This is a much loved (by me) Fender Precision which I have had for well over a decade (possibly closer to two) during which time it has been gigged only occasionally.

I am selling it because I have recently discovered Epiphone T-birds and my other basses are seeing next to no play and must go.

This bass according to the "S" prefixed serial number is either late 70s or early 80s and has "made in USA" on the headstock.

The pick-ups are not original - it came to me with actives but I had those replaced by Seymour Duncan passives. Gary Mullins, professional guitarist and luthier in Aylesbury who did the conversion, described it post-conversion as having "mojo".

It is quite road worn (from before I bought it). There is a spot of varnish missing under the bottom string on the third (G) fret; there is a dark mark down the back of the neck that looks like a sweat mark but is just discolouration. There are various cracks in the varnish. But not around the neck-body join which looks pristine.

It has a wonderfully mellow honey glow to it, I put a gold pickguard on it and a gold thumb-rest (I use the thumb-rest in two positions; hence the additional gold screws for when I move it round).

Above all it is a bass that looks brilliantly cool when you are gigging. It has got that worn distressed look that means you do not need to be too precious about it when you prop it up against the stack.

I have posted some pics that are not that great (old camera) and I can take more if you like.

In terms of selling it, I would prefer not to post it but will deliver within fifty miles or so of Aylesbury (in other words pretty well anywhere in the south east) or meet you part-way. In terms of price I paid £875 for it when I bought it off the Charlie Chandler Guitar Experience shop in Hampton Wick, south west London.

I have not been on Bass Chat long so in terms of my own credentials (1) I bought a Trace Elliot stack off Phil Beavis a couple of months ago via Bass Chat, paid him what he was asking and I think he was quite pleased with the deal and (2) the band I am in is based in Leighton Buzzard, is on Lemonrock and is called Freight Train Riders. And, yes, I am the bass player. And I am called Chris.

Edited by Kitsto

Apologies for taking so long to reply - and many thanks to all of you who expressed interest - yes, it has almost gone: bass and cash handover take place tomorrow. I'll !et the moderators know definitively to lock the post once I get back.