Why become a member? ×

Scareware

No lust in Jazz

Same here. Address bar in the URL starts with data:text/html;base64,PCFET0NUWVBFIGh0bWw.... and is thousands of characters long. Fake Win7 AV window in the background and voiceover telling me to ring them.

Might be worth everyone at BC ringing them and leading them up the garden path as I assume it costs them money to host an 0800 number!

It will be some kind of malware on your computer, not the website itself. I bet that pretty much every other site you visit, you'll get a similar popup. I'm not sure on how to clean it off, but I run Avast Free Antivirus and it keeps the computer from being infected by this kind of thing.

I doubt it very much. I've been working on the PC all day, and this only appeared when I browsed BC. After closing the site it popped up again the very second I browsed to Basschat. It's most likely a popup ad being triggered by a malicious advertising banner on this site.

I am also running ABP, so yes this strikes me as weird.

Anyway, again I have been using this laptop all day, and just opened 3 tabs of Basschat pages; 10 seconds later I have 3 instances of this popup. If advertising is blocked and this is still happening, it's possible the site has been hacked.

Hi chaps

I'll disable the ad banners and see what happens. I think we had an issue before with the Elixir banner; it's hosted and updated remotely unlike the other which we do ourselves, so it could be that.

They should be off in about 15 mins...

Cheers

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1480425757' post='3184251']
Update - whatever was done appears to have worked.

Many thanks
[/quote]

Great - I 'undid' the 'fix' last night just to check if I was right, so let me know if it happens again!!

Cheers

I have just had the fake toll free pop up warning me my pc is infected, which it isn't. It's only bass chatthat this happens on. This as happened on my pc and phone. It is definitely a basschat problem that needs looking into. It seems to happen to wuuite a few people lately.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1479485363' post='3176948']
Same here. Address bar in the URL starts with data:text/html;base64,PCFET0NUWVBFIGh0bWw.... and is thousands of characters long. Fake Win7 AV window in the background and voiceover telling me to ring them.

Might be worth everyone at BC ringing them and leading them up the garden path as I assume it costs them money to host an 0800 number!

[/quote]
This is exactly what I had too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just clicked on a link to photos and yet again had the fake 'your device is infected' pop up. It is extremely annoying and it only happens on bass chat. This seems to be a long standing problem that is not getting resolved. I am using opera browser.

Edited by Luulox

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1482080240' post='3197455']
Just clicked on a link to photos and yet again had the fake 'your device is infected' pop up. It is extremely annoying and it only happens on bass chat. This seems to be a long standing problem that is not getting resolved. I am using opera browser.
[/quote]

I think that's probably an issue with Photobucket rather then BC. I've had similar pop ups from that site when trying to view photos that people link to on here.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1482085659' post='3197526']
I think that's probably an issue with Photobucket rather then BC. I've had similar pop ups from that site when trying to view photos that people link to on here.
[/quote]
Thinking about it you may well be right. It may only be photobucket links that it happens on. I will stop clicking and see how it goes.
Thanks
Pete

My trouble is unrelated to photobucket.

Basschat experience goes like this.

Open homepage - all good
Spot I've some notifications so click to see them - new page opens with bingo,money scam or microsoft virus scam.
Go to read comments in status updates - see above.
Click on the latest post in any of the sections - See above

Happens at least once every time I BC.

AdBlock is running,Windows Defender is up to date and finds nothing, Malaware finds nothing. Cookies and history were cleared.

Tried using IE instead of Chrome but it still happens.

You must have posted while I was typing Paul.I'll try uBlock.

Cheers

Edited by kodiakblair

Scam pages got through uBlock :angry:

So I checked the request log. Think this is the culprit.

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v3iIE44/yU/l/en_US/PplzbfbVZxk.js[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3] [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]Added it to Block Site extension and so far so good :)[/size][/font][/color]