Why become a member? ×

I'm in an amplification pickle. Help........

vinorange

Wembley Loudspeakers will repair your speakers and it would be the cheapest option for your 4 ohm single cab. I've got a couple of Zoot cabs, the forerunner of Purple Chili, and I'd never sell them. Mike uses a special lightweight ply in his cabs and they are some of the lightest on the market.
Amp wise I'll leave that to others as I am a committed MarkBass fan and would naturally suggest one. That said I would still have my Eden WT550 but for the weight.

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1479217976' post='3174811']
Well I've got the other stuff to sell and I have cash as I just sold one of those basses that begin with R and sound like Kicken Backer.

I have the chance of a thunderfunk 750a. Similar to Eden but 600w at 4 ohm in a single head and still I'd end up recycling the power amp, pre and cabs but maybe thats what I need to do to get me out of the hole I've dug myself into.
[/quote]

I was about to say - If you like the eden preamp ... get a thunderfunk.
Honestly just go for it and get some different speakers for the cab and retune or something ... but get the Thunderfunk

As you love the Eden tone, I'd suggest keeping the Navigator preamp.
Add a light weight power amp, could be in a separate rack case from the preamp to reduce weight you carry at one time.
As Markstuk said, QSC power amps are bulletproof and often have features to protect your speakers, switchable low cut (off/30Hz/50Hz), switchable limiter and bridge/parallel/stereo mode.

I'm in Cheshire too and have a couple of 8 Ohm 10" speakers spare and a QSC power amp if you want to test how your rig could sound?

One speaker is a Peavey and I think the other is a Celestion Neo, rated in the region of 200-300W each. I could take them out of the cab to check.
As long as every speaker is 8 Ohms the load is equally shared between them.
The amp is a QSC 1450, not one of QSC's lightweight models, but it sounds good as part of a bass rig

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1479290633' post='3175309']
I got myself in a right pickle but through the power of combined minds and advice[b] now have a plan; sell it all and start again but maybe keep a few bits as spares[/b].....

Great advice
[/quote]

Is that a plan, or two plans?

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1479216443' post='3174791']
I've tried contacting them and it's gone a bit quiet........Not sure if they are still trading.

I still don't know whether it may be worth just getting a lightweight set up. No pre / power amp, just a nice powerful light head with clear punchy light cab or am I in fantasy land?
[/quote]

Try contacting mike Walsh of purple chilli through his zoot bass Facebook page. He's pretty active there these days...

I've tried mike at zoot. He's got no drivers and no crossovers for my purple chilli 410.

I have the thunderfunk. I can see why it has its name. Very nice.....

Zoot 410 4 ohm 1200w neo cab on its way from a fellow basschatter so that should be me sorted.

Now to part company with an eden navigator preamp, ashdown abm 115 500w, ecler lpa16000 (boo hiss I hear from the back row), a rack case and a purple chili 8 ohm 410 cab with 2 knackered drivers and scruffy (at best) tolex.

Thanks for help straightening myself out.

Edited by vinorange

Just to put this post to bed, I played through my new Zoot 410 1200w neo cab with my new Thunderfunk 750a head last night at a corporate party last night and it was lovely.
Clarity through the octaves and plenty of thump. And boy is that Zoot light. Fantastic set up and so glad I heeded the advice of my fellow bass playing community.

Sometimes you just need a bit of clear thinking and to go back to basics to help you out of a hole.

Thanks to all.

I don't know Zoot cabs but Thunderfunk amps are a work of art. My 750 has the 800 upgrade which lets it run down to 2 ohms but I believe the standard 750 can do 2.67. Email Dave Funk and find out.

Either way I've owned a TF since 2007, first the 550 and now the 750 and they have sounded fantastic through every cab I've owned since then. Amps come and go, Aguilar x2, TC x2, Markbass x2 and a GK but a TF remains.

Good move.