Why become a member? ×

Samick Greg Bennett Royale - cheap hollowbody / MM hybrid!

dannybuoy

Just spotted something interesting that I've not seen before. I was looking recently for a 'Ray style bass, this would have ticked all my boxes before I ended up with a Sandberg Basic. On further digging it looks like it's discontinued and this is the only one around for sale:

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Greg-Bennett-Royale-RLB-4-Bass-Guitar-Black/1BIZ"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Greg-Bennett-Royale-RLB-4-Bass-Guitar-Black/1BIZ[/url]

This Sandberg Basic of mine with a single MM pickup and TI flats is one of my favourite basses - tons of thump, throaty mids to poke through, but without the brittle top end that a 'Ray with rounds has. Works great in blues/R&B situations - this looks like it would do a good job there too!

Edited by dannybuoy

I bought this a few weeks ago and was about to write a review. I love it I will do it on another thread but in short.

It has a 34" scale length and although it looks like hollow body, it is actually has a solid body with hollow chambers. The top and bottom are stuck on to that the finish is excellent and the only thing I had to do to it was replace the strings and lower the action.

The pickup is a "Duncan Designed" that is made to Seymour Duncan Specs in the far east. The preamp is a two band Duncan affair and features Volume, Bass, Treble and Blend.

I will fill everything else in the NBD thread.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They look great, however if weight is a concern, then read the spec. It isn’t a hollow bodied guitar but a solid with wings. I’d ask the seller to weigh it for you. I was very surprised about the Gibson Midtown which looked hollow but wasn’t and weighed 9lb. This may be similar as the construction is much the same.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

many greetings from Chile

I got this beauty since 2015 and i just love it. Is a heavy one!. I changed the original tuners for golden wilkinson tuners and also the tune o matic bridge for a golden one. I wonder if it would be a good idea to install an onboard preamp on this bass, and wich preamp might be the best for it (considering the duncan design humbucker). Anyway, as this bass comes originally, has a cool tone. 

I recorded this album with it, hope you enjoy it (if you like this kind of stuff)

Cheers and thank you

1.jpeg

3.jpeg

Edited by Cristobal Montenegro