Why become a member? ×

Fender decal damage - replace of leave it alone?

Grangur

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1479482752' post='3176924']
Oh, and save the pictures of the transformation to use as proof of origin if you ever want to sell the bass but encounter a picky buyer!
[/quote]
Yes, I thought of that. It could be frustrating to be arguing over the authenticity, when you KNOW it is a Fender. Thanks for the comments.
I'm working on it right now making the "Fender" better/smoother.

OK, It's getting there.
Here's the new/latest image.

I've a strong suspicion that the silver (grey) in the "Fender" will be so thin in ink, that when used this will show up as wood colour with a slight hint of darkening. So the result will be needing to use a silver pen to colour it in. Still, lets see how it goes.

Edited by Grangur

Well, I printed off the decal last night. Thought, "That grey is too light. It simply won't look grey". So I took steps to make it silver. I got a silver gel pen and coloured it.

This morning I looked at it.

No, I wasn't impressed either.

The "PRECISION BASS" is too big as well.

Frankly, I'd prefer the grey-wood / Gold look. I know it's not cosher, but it looks nicer. Or I go the route of buying another.

In the way of things I recon I need to give up on the idea of doing silver. I can do black ok

Here's one I did earlier on an Encore

The lacquer finish isn't as smooth round the word "Bass" as I'd like. But not bad.

Edited by Grangur

AFAICS the silver on the original Fender logo is actual silver ink. I would have thought that these decals are screen printed two colours: black and silver with the silver being printed "behind" the black. There's not really any way you can replicate this with an ink-jet printer, unless you go for a high end one that supports custom metallic inks, and even then there is more than one shade of silver, so unless it happens to be the same as the one that Fender use, it's still not going to be right.

BTW the difference in spacing on the word "BASS" on the two decals is a classic example of how a screen printing stencil breaks down with use.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479760896' post='3179098']
Yes. I already have an order in, and an incoming pro decal.

I thought I'd give it a go, but 'tis not to be. I do want a pro-looking job.
[/quote]
Rothko and Frost by any chance? They do a superb job exactly how you want it.

[quote name='Dutchie' timestamp='1479825854' post='3179579']
if you need help in re-drawing the correct Fender logo, I could help. I do it for a living.
[/quote]
Many thanks. I think I'm fine on the drawing of it. That which I have is ok. What I've not got right is the printing of it. So I've already ordered a decal complete. If I'd only known a few days earlier I'd have taken you up on that, your silver "Fender" ones look really good. If I'd had that I could have done the rest to a reasonable level.

Thanks anyway.