Why become a member? ×

Professional player

davegriffiths91

Hi guys.
After a break down of a four year relationship with my partner I am having to move back in with my parents which has made me have a real think about my future.
I am 25 and am a prison officer so I am in a dead end job which has got me thinking, could I cut it as a professional player?
My friend is a drummer who works on the cruise ships and has suggested that as a possible career move, I am really interested in having ago however my sight reading isn't up to scratch. I am trying to teach myself at the moment to which I feel I am progressing. I have set myself a 6 month goal to get competent so I can start going for auditions.
So a few questions I guess!
How many of you are professional players?
Have you ever worked on the cruise ships?
How good a reader have you got to be?
What other options are there for breaking through to become a professional player?

Thanks for any feedback :)
Dave

I spent a summer working on a cruise ship about 6 years ago. In my experience I had to be an excellent sight reader. The singer just called out page numbers from two books of songs, you just turned to that song and played it. It was all standard notation, no chords. There was never any rehearsal, simply because there was nowhere on the ship to rehearse. There was a real mix of genres, one night was cocktail night, so that was jazz, the only exception to reading standard notation, that was just following lead sheets.

I did an honours degree in music, graduating last summer. We were encouraged to adopt a portfolio approach to working. So as well as playing, I teach a lot, (I have a Rock school teaching qualification that I did as part of my final year). A friend of mine who's an amazing player, also writes in Bass guitar magazine. I write music and earn a little from that. I did some for an advert earlier this week.

Being able to fluently and accurately play a whole mix of styles is important, i.e. being able to a jazz gig one night, improvising off lead sheets, then the following playing standard function tunes, some of the dep gigs that I've done again require turning up and sight-reading charts. I'm doing panto in January for a couple of weeks, again sight-reading.

You're still young, go for it man. It's an incredible experience. I guess you want to play party band? You need to know a bit of ballroom and dancing music, jazz, and old and new soul/motown/pop stuff, bit of everything.
You need a big repertoire and the ability to be versatile.
But strong reading is absolutely vital.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1478983594' post='3173185']
Don't get old and creaky and regret not even trying it. Attempt that steep learning curve and give it a whirl.
[/quote]

This, most definitely.

Betterer to have tried and failed, than not have tried at all.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've been there (relationship breakdown, moving back in with parents) so I know what you're going through. So with that in mind, and I don't want to sound like a dad, but grab this opportunity and go do whatever you want to do with your life right now. Don't let it pass, because if you do you'll look back one day and say 'damn, if only...'

Don't let that happen.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1478979988' post='3173153']
I spent a summer working on a cruise ship about 6 years ago. In my experience I had to be an excellent sight reader. The singer just called out page numbers from two books of songs, you just turned to that song and played it. It was all standard notation, no chords. There was never any rehearsal, simply because there was nowhere on the ship to rehearse. There was a real mix of genres, one night was cocktail night, so that was jazz, the only exception to reading standard notation, that was just following lead sheets.

I did an honours degree in music, graduating last summer. We were encouraged to adopt a portfolio approach to working. So as well as playing, I teach a lot, (I have a Rock school teaching qualification that I did as part of my final year). A friend of mine who's an amazing player, also writes in Bass guitar magazine. I write music and earn a little from that. I did some for an advert earlier this week.

Being able to fluently and accurately play a whole mix of styles is important, i.e. being able to a jazz gig one night, improvising off lead sheets, then the following playing standard function tunes, some of the dep gigs that I've done again require turning up and sight-reading charts. I'm doing panto in January for a couple of weeks, again sight-reading.
[/quote]
+1.

I've done a BA in music performance, and since then, I graduated last summer, I've worked on a number of projects, ranging from local originals band right up to cruise ship bands. I have made a success of it because I know my theory and I can read. I'm certainly not the best reader, but put a chart/score in front of me and I can play it. I learnt to read by transcribing lines I already knew, lines I newly learnt as I was reading, and then by going out and doing reading gigs, which was easily the most scary experience I've had thus far, those first initial read gigs were tough, but I survived and I learnt.

Like Ambient, my career is a portfolio one. I teach privately, I teach through music school, and I teach/guest lecture and masterclass in colleges. I am a studio engineer, I'm theatre technician trained so can rig lighting and sound, and I'm desk trained on lighting and sound. I did a lighting and sound gig last night as it happens! Tonight is a rare night off in fact!

Personally I don't suit 'normal' jobs, I'm too laid back and I question my bosses, and it seems people don't like that! However bad/stressful this line of work gets with not having gigs/income I'd never change it unless I had to.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1478993494' post='3173251']
Why is being a Screw a dead end job? I think you are being a bit disingenuous there.
[/quote]

There's no chance of career progression, same faces day in day out!
Just to clarify, I'm a prison officer in a court, not in a prison!

Thanks for all the solid advice though everyone, very helpful!
If I invest a couple of hours a day in reading for the next few months I'm thinking my reading should be good enough.
I play in a soul band, Latin jazz band and a blues band at the moment plus I do a little depping here and there when available so I feel I am fairly well versed in most genres.

You need a plan. You want a gig on a ship and for that you'll need to read music. Get a teacher who will help you achieve the plan to a time scale. . . . 6 months? A year?

Do it. You have no responsibilities or ties at the moment and you have a "trade" you can fall back on at a later date.

Get a 5 string bass. Playing across the fretboard is easier than playing up and down when you're reading.

Good luck.

I haven't played on ships but I have played in big all inclusive hotels in Europe and 5 star hotels in the far east. Reading is absolutely essential, the work is not always fun, and the accommodation can be questionable. BUT the experience is great, you will play with some really talented players and it's a really good thing to have on your CV. Players like Dave Swift played on cruise ships and it hasn't done his career any harm. At 25 years old and single you are absolutely in the best position you will ever be to do it. Very best of luck to you and remember to stop and look around once in a while, its a time i look back on really fondly.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]I came out of music college and went straight onto Cruise ship work (all over the World for a couple of years).[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]Depending on the gig, I found it was a combination of busking Jazz tunes in the Lounge or bar area, through to heavy sight reading in the theatre production shows.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]Sight reading shows is much different than sitting at home going over a few things from books. At times, it can all happen very quickly, fast tempos/cut common with lots of segues.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]The first time, it can be unnerving when in the heat of battle, but you do get used to the routine of it all, very quickly.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]You will come across all manner of time sigs, key changes, pencil markings and amendments, very fast tempos, even tempo/meter changes during a number.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]There will be MD'S waving their arms about (so you will need eyes all over the place), click tracks and a huge variations in music styles. [/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]You will/can get visiting artists (some very high profile names) coming aboard for just one show, [/font][/color][/size][size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]with just an afternoon for rehearsal. [/font][/color][/size][size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]So you need to be a quick learner.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]Maybe try and get hold of some show pads for 'real life' reading experience. Another possibility, check out your local[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]Theatre for any touring shows. Go to the stage door, ask for the Bass player and inquire if it is possible to sit in on a show. Believe it or not, people don't mind (as long as the MD clears it of course).[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]Through doing Cruise ship work you will get to meet plenty of musicians, MD's/contacts - So make the most of it.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]My contacts from the ship days helped get me into playing on static and touring professional shows (through recommendations to show fixers and other MD's etc).[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif]I say go for it and enjoy. It was something that kicked my career on and opened up other musical avenues for sure.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by lowdown

I'm in the Chester area too, I'm probably a fairly similar standard but can read music. I learnt other instrument(s) before I took up bass, and I have read standard notation all my bass playing life, so I'd say I was fairly up-to-speed on the reading. Can I ask also, how happy are you with your music theory knowledge? Its not like you'd be tested on music theory on a gig! But more that, with a little (or more) music theory knowledge, you can "understand" a piece of music plonked in front of you more thoroughly than simply playing the bassline of it, and it can make the reading easier - much easier in some cases. Anyway, let me know if I can be of any help.

I went through the exact same thing last year so I have a good idea how you're feeling, though I didn't end up going away as I my career really took off last year. It's definitely a good time to do it, no responsibilities, no ties. It's a little easier to get on the cruise ships if you're in an established band but still work on your reading - quick tip, get a bass clef version of the real book and read through a few tunes one after another, gets you used to reading stuff you don't know rather than just learning the tune by heart.
One of my friends has been doing the playing in bars abroad thing for about 2 years. The agency put you in a band, it's a steep learning curve but you don't have to be able to read. Couple of things to be aware of: you'll be with the same 5 or 6 people every day for 6 months, which can be pretty hellish if you don't get on; playing 6 days a week is a big stress on your body; going away like that makes it near impossible to establish a stable long term career. The up side: you meet a lot of great people playing all over the world; you can work on your chops; you get to see the world!!! You can party hard and you'll have a ton of stories when you come back.
As for getting your career going at home, if you live in or near a big city then you'll have lots of opportunities. Check out jam nights, answer ads on gumtree. Try and make your own opportunities, play with everyone you can, practice practice practice! You get work based on contacts and reputation so turn up on time, have a good attitude, learn the material, play for the song, diversify - don't turn your nose up at any work or any one (you never know who'll give you your next big break) and don't rely on any one thing for your income. And learn to drive.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1479073957' post='3173770']
I went through the exact same thing last year so I have a good idea how you're feeling, though I didn't end up going away as I my career really took off last year. It's definitely a good time to do it, no responsibilities, no ties. It's a little easier to get on the cruise ships if you're in an established band but still work on your reading - quick tip, get a bass clef version of the real book and read through a few tunes one after another, gets you used to reading stuff you don't know rather than just learning the tune by heart.
One of my friends has been doing the playing in bars abroad thing for about 2 years. The agency put you in a band, it's a steep learning curve but you don't have to be able to read. Couple of things to be aware of: you'll be with the same 5 or 6 people every day for 6 months, which can be pretty hellish if you don't get on; playing 6 days a week is a big stress on your body; going away like that makes it near impossible to establish a stable long term career. The up side: you meet a lot of great people playing all over the world; you can work on your chops; you get to see the world!!! You can party hard and you'll have a ton of stories when you come back.
As for getting your career going at home, if you live in or near a big city then you'll have lots of opportunities. Check out jam nights, answer ads on gumtree. Try and make your own opportunities, play with everyone you can, practice practice practice! You get work based on contacts and reputation so turn up on time, have a good attitude, learn the material, play for the song, diversify - don't turn your nose up at any work or any one (you never know who'll give you your next big break) and don't rely on any one thing for your income. And learn to drive.
[/quote]
This. So much this.

I found having the theory knowledge to back things up helped me too. If I got 'lost' on a tune and panicked a tad the theory knowledge I have allows me to settle back in to the track before finding my way back to exactly where I'm meant to be. Trust me getting momentarily lost/losing focus can and does happen, being able to hide that from the audience is helpful as hell and knowing the way music works and how intervals interact and how they are used in genres really has saved my bacon!