Why become a member? ×

Mutron 3 - I have GAS!

walshy

It won't help your GAS but Mu Tron III's (and also the newer Mu Fx Tru Tron 3x) are awesome sounding filters. I own two vintage Mu-Tron III's, a Mu-Tron 3x, and own and have tried a lot of other filters: IMO Mu Tron's are top of (funk) heap, IMO 100% worth the hype.They do sometimes come up at "reasonable" prices on eBay or here on Basschat. Soundgas usually stock some but may be in the higher price bracket.if you go vintage Mu-Tron it's also worth checking if it's been serviced and calibrated. Also worth thinking about power supply requirements. Lsound or CAE do modern Mu-Tron power supplies, worth considering as they do eat (2x) 9v batteries.

Edited by Bo0tsy

I had a vintage MuTron and it was lovely sounding but absolutely hated any of my bases with a hot output signal. It sounded best with my jazz in passive mode but that wasn't my sound live so I moved it on. I'd be interested to know Bootsy how you find the Mu Fx version in comparison to the original - is it as good?

Yes price wise I reckon your going to always be looking at £4 - £500.

Mine was an L Sound mod which meant it ran on normal 9v power and had a decent LED in it so you can tell when it's on at a glance and he also recalibrated it do it has a broader sweep which was cool.

The Mu Fx Tru Tron 3x nails the original sound of the Mu Tron III IMO. Perhaps the Tru Tron sounds the teensiest bit cleaner, but that might just be my ears and the age of the components in the originals. The Tru Tron can also get wilder (if you line up both side by side you have to dial back on the Tru Tron Mu and Peak settings a bit but you can get an identical sound to the original.

Agree that you'd be looking at £400-500 for a vintage Mu Tron III these days. I power my vintage ones with a CAE Sound 3 pin power supply. Even the Mu FX one needs a special 12v AC adapter (I use a Cioks AC 10 for mine). New and old Mu-Trons do have rather unusual power requirements!

Check out the Mr Black Fwonkbeta also. I prefer that to the Mutron 3X and Meatball I had previously. It's darker, dirtier and thicker them the Mutron!

I've been waiting a few months for my VFE Mini Mu to arrive and just got the customs ticket in the post today. A damn shame the exchange rate has gone tits up, it was a lot higher than expected!

So many good filters out there at the moment, there is really no need to buy an old Mutron.

Avoid 3Leaf gear, they just can't get that kind of filter sound right, but much of the boutique *mutron style* filters out there are great.

Avoid the Hazlabs as well, a Qtron will get you closer.

Filters are very subjective effects, so what works for one person may not work for another. I also own a MXR M82, mini Qtron, Micro Q Tron, original big box Q Tron, Enigma Q Balls, Emma Discumbobulator, Bassballs, Stereo Talking Machine, Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mk II, Chunk Octavius Squeezer, and I've previously owned a 3Leaf Proton, and EBS BassIQ, and for me, whilst they all have their own strenghs and differences, nothing quite matches the sound of a Mu-Tron III. I equally love the Chunk Systems pedals, but they are a much synthier sounding filter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1479565161' post='3177514']
Check out the Mr Black Fwonkbeta also. I prefer that to the Mutron 3X and Meatball I had previously. It's darker, dirtier and thicker them the Mutron!

I've been waiting a few months for my VFE Mini Mu to arrive and just got the customs ticket in the post today. A damn shame the exchange rate has gone tits up, it was a lot higher than expected!
[/quote]
Interesting, I may have to check one out. I been after a filter pedal for a small 2nd pedalboard I'm putting together. I tried the Source Manta out but couldn't get on with it.
[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1479584242' post='3177696']
Filters are very subjective effects, so what works for one person may not work for another. I also own a MXR M82, mini Qtron, Micro Q Tron, original big box Q Tron, Enigma Q Balls, Emma Discumbobulator, Bassballs, Stereo Talking Machine, Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mk II, Chunk Octavius Squeezer, and I've previously owned a 3Leaf Proton, and EBS BassIQ, and for me, whilst they all have their own strenghs and differences, nothing quite matches the sound of a Mu-Tron III. I equally love the Chunk Systems pedals, but they are a much synthier sounding filter.
[/quote]
I settled on an MF 101 and never looked back but my previous faves were Deffo the old big box Q tron+ with the fx loop etc and the Emma Discumbobulator. Although admittedly I've never been lucky enough to try a Mutron in ANY of its incarnations. Unless you count a pretty cool vst version ....? No? Ok ;)
[quote name='ryancowell25' timestamp='1481366484' post='3191765']
I'll second the Fwonkbeta after just purchasing one - hands down my favourite filter
[/quote]
I'm gonna HAVE to investigate further.
'Fwonkbeta' just sounds right lol

Edited by Tuco

I bit the bullet today and ordered a Mr Black Fwonkbeta from Andertons
Had a few loyalty points to cash in there so (that's my excuse anyway)
Looking forward to getting my greasy mitts on it if I'm honest, for convenience sake of nothing else, I mean I love my MF101 (like you wouldn't BELIEVE!) but the Fwonkbeta will be great for my mini pedalboard that is currently under construction. It's gonna be nice to be able to 'quack' without the hassle of getting out my MP201 and a bunch of TRS cables and p*ssing about for ten minutes hooking sh*t up.
Lol , I am the MASTER of justification when it comes to pedal power ;)
Peace