Why become a member? ×

Guitar Amp for a 12 year old

niagra

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Same question for son with 15th Birthday approaching in a few weeks, hoping after shutdown.  Found this thread looking for info.

Bedroom size 2m * 3m with reductions for roof and staircase (poor lad, it really is a box room)

Current amp - s/hand Fender Frontman w Reverb 38W, but it does sound tinny in fairness. He plays a Maverick F1 and he mostly plays metal / rock.

Son’s idea - Marshall DSL20HR Head ..... with Cab unit to follow with any other Birthday money and paid work he can do to fund, like 4 * 12 ... or something!?!?!

Our budget £250!
My thoughts;

1) I already had to move his desk out to get a double guitar stand in (he didn’t use the desk anyway)

2) I’ve turned into my Dad ... boring!

3) But seriously, would you actually be able use enough volume to drive a head/cab set up like that without blowing the window out / blowing the neighbours out?

4) I thought one of the following might be pretty cool.

Fender Mustang GT40

Blackstar ID Core Beam

Roland Cube Street

Marshall MG50GFX

Any thoughts welcome, even if it is to remind me how much I’d have liked a speaker wall at 15 🙃

4 hours ago, Slick Bass said:

Same question for son with 15th Birthday approaching in a few weeks, hoping after shutdown.  Found this thread looking for info.

Bedroom size 2m * 3m with reductions for roof and staircase (poor lad, it really is a box room)

Current amp - s/hand Fender Frontman w Reverb 38W, but it does sound tinny in fairness. He plays a Maverick F1 and he mostly plays metal / rock.

Son’s idea - Marshall DSL20HR Head ..... with Cab unit to follow with any other Birthday money and paid work he can do to fund, like 4 * 12 ... or something!?!?!

Our budget £250!
My thoughts;

1) I already had to move his desk out to get a double guitar stand in (he didn’t use the desk anyway)

2) I’ve turned into my Dad ... boring!

3) But seriously, would you actually be able use enough volume to drive a head/cab set up like that without blowing the window out / blowing the neighbours out?

4) I thought one of the following might be pretty cool.

Fender Mustang GT40

Blackstar ID Core Beam

Roland Cube Street

Marshall MG50GFX

Any thoughts welcome, even if it is to remind me how much I’d have liked a speaker wall at 15 🙃

Yes, I wouldn't entertain the idea of a 4x12 for a child! To keep it budget safe, I would go second hand and suggest the Blackstar range given his chosen genre, and look at one of their small low power head. I wouldn't get a combo because that'll be limiting down the line. Instead by doing head/cab, as and when the time comes in future he/you can upgrade one of the components individually rather than being 'locked' into a package. Combos are generally open back too, which means you won't get much heft off of the sound and it'll sound thin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackstar-HT5-Guitar-Tube-Amplifier-Head/274293917735?hash=item3fdd310827:g:-V0AAOSwp6ReXZSf

The Blackstar HT5 for example. 5 valve watts which through a decent 2x12 (or larger) will be enough for any rehearsing or any small gigs. Plus, as it's only 5 watts you can properly work the amp rather than having to run it on 1! Also has emulated headphone out for late night bedroom playing, and an emulated DI with cab sim should he find himself at a larger gig which the head can't handle on it's own. It's small enough he can put it in a rucksack and take it with him somewhere to a gig/rehearsal room/etc and plug into their cab if needed. There is the HT20 if you feel you want to go 1 more rung up the ladder.

For a cab to go with the HT5, I would recommend a Harley Benton G212 Vintage. They are super cheap whether you get them new or second hand, considering their sound. They get rave reviews. I know a lot of local bands using them and have heard one in person and couldn't really fault it. Make sure to get the Vintage variant as it's loaded with Celestion V30s which are the definitive rock guitar speaker and a massive improvement over the standard driver. Run it vertically rather than horizontally and you'll have a rig that doesn't take up much floor space at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Benton-G212-Vintage-Guitar-Cab/193418857997?hash=item2d08a98e0d:g:~Y8AAOSwYodekY7B

Second hand, that's £250.

On the wattage front, I worked as a guitar tech on a tour with the darkness a few years ago. In O2 Academy venues, with all the proper monitoring and PA, their Vox AC30 2x12 was so loud they had to have it facing the rear of stage in order to produce an acceptable level for the stage and audience. So, when it's valve watts you talk about, 5 can definitely do what most people need!

Edited by Bankai
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

On 13/04/2020 at 19:41, Bankai said:

On the wattage front, I worked as a guitar tech on a tour with the darkness a few years ago. In O2 Academy venues, with all the proper monitoring and PA, their Vox AC30 2x12 was so loud they had to have it facing the rear of stage in order to produce an acceptable level for the stage and audience. So, when it's valve watts you talk about, 5 can definitely do what most people need!

Good advice. I saw an interview with Ritchie Blackmore on YouTube, in which he discussed being asked for advice as to what guitar and amp to get for a youngster. He told of a father who had said he was going to get his son a Strat and a 100w Marshall. His reply to the father was "Good luck with that". 

I have a Vox Valvestate modelling amp*. You can lose yourself for hours playing with the different tones, the exact model is no longer available but it impressed my brother (who is rabidly anti-modelling amp) perhaps because the real valve stage gives it a more 'authentic' sound?

He has a 'proper' Vox valve combo which obviously doesn't do as many sounds but has a great blues-rock sound.

*The Vox sounds are obviously spot on (don't forget Tony Iommi used an AC15 / AC30 to start with! I think the Marshall and Fender models are pretty good too, does a great Neil Young fender twin sound. I haven't got the experience to judge the 'boutique sounds'.

Edited by Stub Mandrel