Why become a member? ×

HOFNER CLUB limited edition bass NOW SOLD

bobpalt

Here is a bass that I really dont want to sell, but being a bit, well, portly in the belly department, I have had a great deal of trouble trying to find a way that I can wear it on stage without the body sliding up and over my overhang a la Ovation bowlbacks! I have tried every strap you can think of, over belly, under belly (just silly) etc., but I can really only play it sitting down. None of my friends have the slightest problem with it, so its obviously just my shape.

Its the black and gold limited edition, with the fitted aluminium Bullet case (which has a few storage scratches), and is in excellent condition. As well as the standard knobs, there are a set of matching black knobs in the case, and flats are fitted at present. I'm not asking a silly price (£695), as I would like to see it go to a good home, but if there are no takers and I have to use ebay, dont be surprised if its a bit dearer! I dont really want any trades thanks, as I appear to have far too many basses again, and have just ordered another 2 ACGs as well, so I might have a bit of a clear out in the weeks to come.

The funny looking marks on the photos are all light reflections, NOT marks on the bass!!!

Before I put it on ebay, a price reduction to £650. Thats it - can't go any lower!

[attachment=14648:Mackie_030.jpg][attachment=14649:Mackie_031.jpg]
[attachment=14650:Mackie_029.jpg][attachment=14651:Mackie_032.jpg]

Edited by bobpalt

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='304859' date='Oct 12 2008, 03:33 PM']Oooh, that's nice! Unfortunately I have no 60's work to justify one, but best of luck with the sale :)

Rich.[/quote]

Many thanks Rich. It plays more modern songs as well, but I think you have to re programme it!

Cheers,

Bob

[quote name='BassKS' post='305269' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:26 AM']Oh man,

Is this korean made? is it hollow-body? Id need an ampeg or something similar to get the best out of this beast.[/quote]

Hi.

No, its the real thing. Made in Germany, VERY hollow bodied, weighs almost nothing. Short scale, has a brilliant tone and is so easy to play, as long as you are not a fat so and so like me!

Bob

How close does it sounds to the old Macca's violin bass. I tried that one in a shop in Germany and I almost flipped out from the sound that it produced. very Double bassy.

[quote name='BassKS' post='305502' date='Oct 13 2008, 02:00 PM']How close does it sounds to the old Macca's violin bass. I tried that one in a shop in Germany and I almost flipped out from the sound that it produced. very Double bassy.[/quote]

I wouldnt like to say, as I havent got near his to try it out (although I do know one of the kids who were on the Mull of Kintyre video shoot with him and Linda on the beach near their farm all those years ago........), but as it is supposed to have the same electronics and build, I would guess its pretty close? It certainly sounds the same as a non-used-by-Macca violin bass I tried a while back.

Bob

To the un-tutored ear there is no discernible difference in tone between a genuine Hofner Violin and a genuine Hofner Club.

To the experienced and well-tutored Hofner enthusiast, there is [i]almost[/i] no discernible difference in tone between a genuine Hofner Violin and a genuine Hofner Club.

If you play flatwound strings on a short-scale hollow-body Hofner, you get an incredibly flat thuddy sound near the nut and a wonderfully musical thuddy sound anywhere above the 5th fret.

It's absolutely a 'Marmite' sound, you either love it or hate it. But don't waste your time comparing it to other basses ... there's zero point in saying it's better or worse than a P-bass or a Ricky, it's just different.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='305720' date='Oct 13 2008, 07:13 PM']To the un-tutored ear there is no discernible difference in tone between a genuine Hofner Violin and a genuine Hofner Club.

To the experienced and well-tutored Hofner enthusiast, there is [i]almost[/i] no discernible difference in tone between a genuine Hofner Violin and a genuine Hofner Club.

If you play flatwound strings on a short-scale hollow-body Hofner, you get an incredibly flat thuddy sound near the nut and a wonderfully musical thuddy sound anywhere above the 5th fret.

It's absolutely a 'Marmite' sound, you either love it or hate it. But don't waste your time comparing it to other basses ... there's zero point in saying it's better or worse than a P-bass or a Ricky, it's just different.[/quote]

You are absolutely correct. If you like the sound, there is nothing else I know of that can do it better. I have never tried one with roundwound strings on though, so maybe that would make it sound a bit more like a "normal" bass!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I played this beauty yesterday at Bob's place- believe me, it sounds amazing! So much so, that for a moment I seriously considered taking this home instead of the Tacoma Thunderchief I had actually come to buy! It gets [i]very[/i] close to Macca's sound with a pick, and sounds amazing fingerstyle- such a fat and woody tone! The bonus is that it's laughably light in weight as well- you could play this standing up all day and not feel any discomfort afterwards...

Have a bump from me for a very nice man and a cracking bass!

Etienne :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='428480' date='Mar 8 2009, 11:37 AM']I played this beauty yesterday at Bob's place- believe me, it sounds amazing! So much so, that for a moment I seriously considered taking this home instead of the Tacoma Thunderchief I had actually come to buy! It gets [i]very[/i] close to Macca's sound with a pick, and sounds amazing fingerstyle- such a fat and woody tone! The bonus is that it's laughably light in weight as well- you could play this standing up all day and not feel any discomfort afterwards...

Have a bump from me for a very nice man and a cracking bass!

Etienne :)[/quote]

Thank you for those very kind words!

Its still for sale if anyone is interested?

Cheers,
Bob

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bobpalt' post='439880' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:22 PM']It certainly is! I keep playing it sat down, wishing I could play it stood up!

Bob[/quote]

Bob, there seem to be two current ranges of Hofner basses - the club bass at around £1,100 and the contemporary series at around £400. I assume yours is the more expensive type ? They look similar, but presumably they use diferent wood, pickups, etc ? What condition is yours in? And what is a bump ? Richard

[quote name='fryer' post='439902' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:46 PM']Bob, there seem to be two current ranges of Hofner basses - the club bass at around £1,100 and the contemporary series at around £400. I assume yours is the more expensive type ? They look similar, but presumably they use diferent wood, pickups, etc ? What condition is yours in? And what is a bump ? Richard[/quote]

Hi Richard.

Mine is the real thing, made in Germany, presumably by hand using better quality materials, and its actually a limited edition model. Its in really good condition, and comes with a superb aluminium "bullet" case, specially fitted for this bass. From memory, I think its list was about £1,250, but you dont see many of them around. It has gold fittings which normal Clubs dont have as well.

A bump is when you add a message to the thread, which then takes it back to the top of the pile (where more people see it) !

Bob

[quote name='bobpalt' post='439973' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:06 AM']Hi Richard.

Mine is the real thing, made in Germany, presumably by hand using better quality materials, and its actually a limited edition model. Its in really good condition, and comes with a superb aluminium "bullet" case, specially fitted for this bass. From memory, I think its list was about £1,250, but you dont see many of them around. It has gold fittings which normal Clubs dont have as well.

A bump is when you add a message to the thread, which then takes it back to the top of the pile (where more people see it) !

Bob[/quote]

OK, can I come and see it at the weekend ? please email me on - [email protected] . Or 07590 063603 . Richard