Why become a member? ×

Leonard Cohen RIP

timmo

I'm gutted.

I grew up hearing Cohen being played by my parents. My mum singing along was enough to put me off him until I was about 15, when I didn't mind him so much.
But when I was sat in a cinema watching Natural Born Killers and [color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Waiting for the Miracle came on, I sat up and really took notice. The film ending with The Future made me go home and get all my parent's Cohen albums and listen to them back to back.[/font][/color]
[color=#252525][font=sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Been a major fan ever since, never got to see him though. [/font][/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1478880200' post='3172385']
I'm not sure he was touring out of choice. I believe he came out of his Buddhist monastery to discover that rather a lot of his money had gone missing.

I think the touring was a necessary source of income. Roscoe Beck was his band leader.
[/quote]

His old manager stole around $5m from him, that forced him back into touring.

I remember seeing him in the 1980's at the Albert Hall. He had two beautiful backing singers. During one of their singing parts he nonchalantly walked up behind them (you couldn't see his hands) and the next moment both girls jumped. He walked back to his mic and carried on singing whilst they both did a mixture of glaring at him but smiling at the same time.
In an interview in the Times a week or two later the reporter heard one of the backing singers complaining about something or other that wasn't being done and shouting who she would have to f**k to get it sorted. Cohen just turned to the reporter and casually said 'that'll be me then' and smiled. Nothing like the 'music to cut your wrists to' persona in real life. A wonderful sense of humour and a great poet.

Edited by 6feet7