Why become a member? ×

Many Enfield Bass users out there?

Highfox

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478631952' post='3170492']
No, but I played a few. I'm not totaaly concinced by the quad concept but I wish Martin all the best with them...
He does make a good bass tho...
[/quote]

After having had mine a while and done a few gigs and recordings with it. I think it has a sound all of it's own with the quad pickups, it's close to the P,J, PJ and Stingray sounds that people always quote (I have owned or own all of them)
I think more of it's own charecter comes over at least to my ears.

Nick Smith convinced me to have the SimS pick up system installed in a custom build (Andyjr1515 Silk Bass) - glad I did, absolutely amazing pick up system - I'm surprised that Martin isn't isn't being ripped of left, right and centre...

BTW IMO, if you're planning on holding on to a custom build, £426 isn't a big investment for a pick up system...

• 1 month later...

I kind of have a simpler but similar idea in a bass. I went for two soapbar cases, mounted them very close together and have one whole J pickup and half a P pickup in each. The pickup maker provided less than helpful wiring diagrams and used different coloured cables for earth on the two pickups so it took until the 4th luthier to finally get it functioning so by the time I had paid everyone and all the couriers I could have comfortably had the Enfield system. However, I did not know the Enfield system existed as an aftermarket option when I was buying mine. The irony is that I only use the 2 x J pickups setting as that is the noise I like. It took me that whole process to work out that that is what I want to hear and if I want changes then I move my hands around. I would still love to try an Enfield system though.

Thanks Nick.
Great model you turned out :)
In my opinion it's nice to have those option's on the fly so to speak.
I'm normally PJ with it, but ´do switch about depending on the song and feel I want. I'm sure nobody else really notices but I sure do and that's good enough for me.

One thing that puts me off those pickups is the lights. I know Sims like their LEDs but I would want the option to disable them on the pickups personally, I don't know if that is doable without hacking about though! I assume the pickups are totally passive apart from the LEDs, if so you could just disconnect the power.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1482263192' post='3199089']
One thing that puts me off those pickups is the lights. I know Sims like their LEDs but I would want the option to disable them on the pickups personally, I don't know if that is doable without hacking about though! I assume the pickups are totally passive apart from the LEDs, if so you could just disconnect the power.
[/quote]

Don't you need the LEDs to know what configuration the pickup is in?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1482263192' post='3199089']
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1482263536' post='3199093']
Don't you need the LEDs to know what configuration the pickup is in?
[/quote]

If you don't have a preamp too, then no, just take the battery out. The pickups themselves are passive and don't require the battery to operate. if you do have a preamp such as the Glockenklang unit Martin installs, then a quick look at the installation guide would allow you to lift the lead for the LED supply without disabling the preamp as well.

Edited by dood

I also thought that you needed the special (John East designed IIRC) pre-amp installed in order to balance out the volume differences between the three pickup configurations? However my experience of Enfield basses is limited to the original "Cannon" model with the Super 8 Pickup.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1482267478' post='3199144']
I also thought that you needed the special (John East designed IIRC) pre-amp installed in order to balance out the volume differences between the three pickup configurations? However my experience of Enfield basses is limited to the original "Cannon" model with the Super 8 Pickup.
[/quote]
I'll have to pass on that, for someone more knowledgeable on the Simms pickups. Mine has the JE preamp. Love the leds and if I didn't a bit of back gaffe would do the job :)

The SIMS Super Quad pickups do not require any special preamp etc, they can be retrofitted to any bass - they are passive as has been noted. The LEDs are very intuitive and give you instant recall of your settings but if you don't like them then fair enough and am sure you can have them taken out of the wiring etc. If anyone wishes to try one of the Enfield basses out, please get in touch! Cheers!