Why become a member? ×

Your Pink Floyd favorites. ?

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1478636745' post='3170549']
Trivia time. Does anyone know what the album cover on Wish You were Hear is about.? The man shaking hands with a man on fire.?
[/quote]I think it was described on the documentary as being burned by a seemingly friendly act, particularly in the music industry.

I really like Echoes, it's a really well put together compilation.

Pigs (3 Different Ones) is one of my favourite basslines to play, the timing on the intro always throws me though, the first note is never quite where I think it should be.

I love a bit of Floyd - Animals is my favourite. I even own a pair of Converse with the Battersea Power Station artwork. They don't fit, but I digress.
It's funny, it really took them a good few years to hit their stride - the Barrett years could be a different band entirely, and the pre-Echoes Gilmour output was uneven to say the least. Thank God they were given the chance to grow.
Despite all this, I really can't get on with WYWH.

"Learning to Fly" was my theme song for years - for the lyrics, not the sound, which chugs along a bit. For me it nails the daring and overcoming of terror to achieve a dream. Close to the bone.

"Time" - again the lyrics are almost unbearably true - how did Waters at 28 when he wrote it, understand so well how it feels when one is 60? It is going to be played at my funeral, in the Gilmour "Live at Gdansk" version - that guitar solo is again almost unbearably poignant. I can only listen to it once a year at most, headphones clamped on and weeping.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1478734498' post='3171355']

"Time" - again the lyrics are almost unbearably true - how did Waters at 28 when he wrote it, understand so well how it feels when one is 60? It is going to be played at my funeral, in the Gilmour "Live at Gdansk" version - that guitar solo is again almost unbearably poignant. I can only listen to it once a year at most, headphones clamped on and weeping.
[/quote]

My sentiments exactly...

The lyrics astonish me every time I hear them. And the original guitar solo on the record is one of my favourite guitar solos ever.

love Pink Floyd. I first discovered their Barrett stuff before DSOTM (not a hipster, don't worry) and loved it, but I think DSOTM and WYWH are masterpieces. I think a cult built up around Barrett which means he can do no wrong in people's eyes. Piper was a great album, but some get carried away and praise his weaker tunes as sheer genius. 70s Floyd was cool, I haven't heard all their stuff properly, as I'd imagine it takes a while to get into those long tracks (plus I wasn't a musician when I first got into them, I will probably see them in a whole different light now).

My favourite track has to be Echoes Live at Pompeii, such an incredible performance. The whole 24 min live video was on Youtube, but this will have to do. Still the full performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVDVWFQ2IO8

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1478734498' post='3171355']
"Learning to Fly" was my theme song for years - for the lyrics, not the sound, which chugs along a bit. For me it nails the daring and overcoming of terror to achieve a dream. Close to the bone.

"Time" - again the lyrics are almost unbearably true - how did Waters at 28 when he wrote it, understand so well how it feels when one is 60? It is going to be played at my funeral, in[b] the Gilmour "Live at Gdansk" version - that guitar solo is again almost unbearably poignant. I can only listen to it once a year at most, headphones clamped on and weeping.[/b]
[/quote]

Gilmour is my all time favorite guitarist. He can portray more with less notes than anyone I have listened to. The first solo in Comfortably Numb always makes me emotional.

i love a bit of floyd, not listened to them much recently but after thinking on this thread i may have to revisit them again. picking a favourite is a tough one as i like so many for different reasons. i used to listen to fat old sun whilst relaxing in the countryside smoking naughty things and being very much at peace with the world, so that always holds a spot for me. atom heart mother introduced me to all kind of ideas. echoes introduced me to patience in music., i could go on all day. there are some barrett era tunes i like but i get on better with the post barrett stuff.
if i had to pick one i would say it would be Time. i must have listened to that track hundreds of times and it still gets me now. the composition, feel and skill of it is just astounding. its still a close call but i think that would come out on top most consistently. first time i heard it, it just blew me away.

Edited by christofloffer

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1478737095' post='3171373']
don't want to hijack the thread, but if you were to pick one, who would you say was the 'best' in the band?
[/quote]

Difficult to say as they all had their strengths.
Rick Wright, for instance, was no keyboard wizard like Wakeman or Emerson but his voice and his playing style were very much part of the Floyd sound.

For me though I would have to say Gilmour.

Edited by RhysP

Oh how timely is this. Just been to see The Australian Pink Floyd Show for the second year running. Now for some history, my first ever purchased album was Meddle. I remember buying Wish You Were Here the day it came out. Carefully slitting the black plastic cover to preserve the all black for as long as possible. I saw Pink Floyd in 1974. They did Echoes as the encore! So it's hard to choose.

I feel that the neglected albums like More, Atom Heart Mother and Obscured By Clouds have some gems. Also have love for Animals. I suppose I'm in album mode rather than individual tracks. I do so like Careful with that Axe Eugene - especially the Live At Pompeii version.