Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar as a lead/melodic instrument?

Conan

Of course a bass can be a melodic or lead instrument. It's very difficult to form a band around it but can be done. My Hardcore punk band is built around my bass playing. I have a couple of solos and lots intricate lines. But because the songs are built around the instrument it does not sound contrived or shoehorned then it sounds great.

The crowd seem to love it too.

Edited by Shockwave

Just because you 'can' does not mean you 'should'. That video of [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx1RccwlF5g"]Michael Manring "Adhan"[/url] is a perfect example. Makes little or no sense musically while impressing the impressionable with outstanding technical ability. Some instruments work best when played solo: piano, uileann pipes, bagpipes, church organ - all these are powerful instruments that don't need support.

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1478898162' post='3172639']
Just because you 'can' does not mean you 'should'. That video of [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx1RccwlF5g"]Michael Manring "Adhan"[/url] is a perfect example. Makes little or no sense musically while impressing the impressionable with outstanding technical ability. Some instruments work best when played solo: piano, uileann pipes, bagpipes, church organ - all these are powerful instruments that don't need support.
[/quote]

In your opinion. Like I said, it's personal taste. What makes little sense musically to you, makes a lot to others, thankfully. Otherwise it'd be a pretty boring old world 😊.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1478899576' post='3172646']

In your opinion. Like I said, it's personal taste. What makes little sense musically to you, makes a lot to others, thankfully. Otherwise it'd be a pretty boring old world 😊.
[/quote]

I agree with you - however there seems to be an all or nothing focus in this thread - either the solo artist type things with loops or the P bass with flats emulating a double bass somewhere in the background of an orchestral mix.

As I said even Andrew Lloyd Webber recognised the bass guitar doubling the melody as an occasional effect - I'm not sure rejecting that principal is just a matter of taste and not a narrow mindedness. I'd accept that not liking Michael Manring or Motown or Cliff Richard or anything else could be down to taste.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1478716894' post='3171191']
There's no rule that says you can't record a whole album using only a bass guitar, there's also no rule to say anyone has to listen to it or that those that do need to enjoy it.
[/quote]

Dave Holland did that

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1478912424' post='3172731']
I agree with you - however there seems to be an all or nothing focus in this thread - either the solo artist type things with loops or the P bass with flats emulating a double bass somewhere in the background of an orchestral mix.
[/quote]

I would add that I don't like either of those!

There's a big difference between bass as a lead instrument and bass as a soloing instrument. Plenty of examples of bands where the bass is the dominant instrument but still manages to lock in with the other instruments and not overpower them. That's great. From reactions I've seen at gigs where bass solos go on for what seems like eternity, probably not much appreciated. Then again ditto for drums.

Different people are defining lead/melodic/solo in different ways. Personally for me, a "lead" line is one which the listener is drawn to due to its prominence or movement - so it will probably be melodic too. BUT a melodic line isn't necessarily the lead line - it could be a counterpoint. Solo is when one instrument alone is playing the lead/melodic line, but doesn't mean that the other instruments are silent - there might be harmony/backing/counterpoint from them too.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1478723453' post='3171260']
I don't think it's narrow mindedness, if you listen and don't enjoy it then that's it, trying to force it onto people won't make them like it, just dislike you maybe.
[/quote]
Similarly -- if you listen and don't enjoy it then that's fine, but trying to [i]tell[/i] people that it's officially rubbish and somehow not 'proper' won't make them agree, just irritated.

NB. Not accusing anyone of anything, just putting an opposite view.

It seems to me, that much of the dislike for solo bass, is aimed at the instrument itself. That's what I don't understand. Many other instruments are in the same range, or lower than bass guitar, yet people are fine with those instruments playing solo. Why is that, because I don't understand.

I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with the concept of bass solo's or solo bass [b]or using bass as a lead or melodic instrument (added for Dad3533)[/b]. Especially other bass players!

Surly the only criteria relates to the ability of the player and whether he makes the playing interesting.

Edit to add some detail - in bold.

Edited by chris_b

Bass as a lead or melodic instrument - no problem.

There are many examples of this in popular music without looking too hard, I suppose the key point is that its a piece of music and or arrangement that you like, rather than Bass should be 'in the pocket' type thing. But if you like 'in the pocket bass' then that's great - its just not the last word on bass instruments in music.

Bloody hell. Next time I start a thread of this nature I will call it something like "Have a listen to this piece of music. It is new to me and I really like it, but tell me what you all think (beware: prominent bass playing and/or folky music content)".

:D

I thought I didn't need to worry about solo's and never made the leap to constructing a well crafted, intelligent bass solo and I know I've lost gigs as a result. These days, being a good meat and potatoes player can leave you on the back foot when you're up against some of these Uni educated players.

The "twiddly" playing bit of my brain never developed and as I say I wasn't picked for a pretty good band because of that!

My advice is always be the most complete player you can be. Even if you're just playing with your mates, try to be competent in all aspects of bass playing.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1479294312' post='3175361']
I thought I didn't need to worry about solo's and never made the leap to constructing a well crafted, intelligent bass solo and I know I've lost gigs as a result. These days, being a good meat and potatoes player can leave you on the back foot when you're up against some of these Uni educated players.[/quote]

True. The thought of playing a bass solo brings me out in a cold sweat. I wouldn't ever want to play one, but if i was put on the spot I think I would clam up. I just hate the idea of me playing a bass solo. I don't hate solos [i]per se[/i]... I just don't wish to play one myself.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1479305740' post='3175476'][b]Definition[/b]

[i]Gentleman[/i]
a man who is sufficiently competent to perform a solo or lead bass passage but out of respect for the sensibilities of his audience chooses not to do so
[/quote]

:lol:

Have always loved this piece as an example of melodic bass-playing (by NHØP). Didn't realise there was a YouTube video of a performance (I guess there is for pretty much everything!)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYEm_MDe190"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYEm_MDe190[/url]

Edited by Delius