Why become a member? ×

Ideas Required - Rock Covers of Female Fronted Pop

amnesia

My band bases it's set around the 'hair metal' type bands of the 80's / 90's - Motley Crue, Poison, Skid Row etc with a few pop covers thrown in - Frozen (by Madonna), Crazy (by Seal) as examples.

Bearing in mind we have a female singer, only two songs in our set have been anywhere near female vocals in their original recordings!

I'm looking for a fresh set of ideas for female fronted pop tracks that would work when wrapped up in this hair metal guitar frenzy.

Lada Gaga's Bad Romance has been covered by Halestorm and its a pretty cool version - so that is on our list.

Bitch by Meredith Brooks was considered - its got an epic singalong chorus - but our guitar player is really not keen.

These tracks aren't intended to be funny, tongue in cheek, ironic or a bit of a joke in any way.

We have one guitar and bass in this band so doing justice to huge productions and keyboard heavy melodies might give us an issue.

So...with my very limited view on the pop world - any ideas from these hallowed forums?

(Lets not mention Britney Spears)

Cheers droogs!!!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1478460862' post='3169191']
Beautiful Dangerous by Slash/Fergie from Black Eyed Peas. Awesome track.
[/quote]

Yup - it is an awesome track. Getting Slash / GnR tracks seriously considered by our guitar player is also unfortunately difficult...

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1478461096' post='3169194']
You are specifically looking songs with females on the original recordings , or just great songs that work with a female vocal ?
[/quote]

Specifically looking for the originals to be female fronted.

I really like the version of Frozen we have. It is completely out of it's as-written genre but because it's a good song it works really, really well. More of that is what I'm thinking.

I saw a female fronted rock band recently, the two stand outs for me were Trouble by Pink (great vocal on the original, the girl really rocked it) and Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl which they really rocked up with a sexy, heavy glam rock beat, I was impressed.

A couple of things spring to mind. Look backwards to some bands like Blondie and the Runaways. Cherry Bomb got a lot of coverage from the Guardians of the Galaxy film. Then there's stuff like Joan Jett's ILove Rock and Roll, Blondie's One Way or Another or Pleaase Don't Touch by Motörhead/Girlschool.

Definitely look at some of Pat Benatar's stuff.

Then what about some more Britpop type stuff rocked up? Ready To Go by Republica, I think I'm paranoid by Garbage, My Favorite Mistake by The Cardigans. They've all already got great guitar lines with he scope to rock them up further.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1478464944' post='3169247']
A couple of things spring to mind. Look backwards to some bands like Blondie and the Runaways. Cherry Bomb got a lot of coverage from the Guardians of the Galaxy film.
[/quote]

Cherry Bomb is a cracker.

http://youtu.be/q9dvwVMsGn8

Edit. This version is from the recent Runaways biopic - I can-t find the original on YouTube.

Edited by Cato