Why become a member? ×

Should I stay or should I go now

JimBobTTD

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1478462500' post='3169223'] Just as well the members of previous bands did not have this same outlook, though. How will 'lesser' players ever improve if they're not given the opportunity, at least, of contact with more experienced folks..? It doesn't always work, I'll grant, but in many cases an experienced player can 'up the game' of his/her colleagues. Every situation is different, of course. [/quote]

Agree, that at some point, someone has to give something back but there are some situations that should be avoided. You don't join these bands, but you might help out.

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1478465607' post='3169256']

Finding good people to spend time with is a lot more important than finding someone who can play.

It's definitely easier to get decent folk to learn to play better than it is to get talented idiots to become better people.
[/quote]

This x10 ^

To a degree everyone in my band plays at the same level with the exception of singing ability.

Hmmmmm, I guess, really our drummer is performing at a higher level and sets us apart from other bands that would be considered our peers.

Being really advanced as a rock musician can go both ways. There are some really great musicians with poor social skills and have a hard time interacting with and working with others. Many really good musicians like this are often bandless.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1478465607' post='3169256']
It's definitely easier to get decent folk to learn to play better than it is to get talented idiots to become better people.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this, but as you've felt the need to ask the question here, then you are probably not really convinced that this is the band for you, so you might be better off looking elsewhere.

Hmm. A third practice session - this time with a different drummer, as the usual one is away for a fortnight - was a lot more enjoyable. Perhaps it is the drummer that is making me question whether this is a good band for me? The lead guitarist seems to have improved a lot in the last week, although the singer seems not to have done any work at all.

It is all a bit mixed. I shall take my fretless to the next rehearsal and see how it goes. I may as well hang around for a bit and (try to) hone my fretless chops.

Thanks for letting me bounce some ideas around, good people of BC!

Did you have a good relationship with your old drummer? Might be worthwhile getting in touch with him and seeing if he was up to getting something going again.

It does take some time to find the right people to play music with, and a lot of trial and error

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1479147875' post='3174347']
Did you have a good relationship with your old drummer? Might be worthwhile getting in touch with him and seeing if he was up to getting something going again.

It does take some time to find the right people to play music with, and a lot of trial and error
[/quote]

This is good advice. If the two of you work well as a rhythm section, I should imagine you won't be looking for too long. However, if the guys you are thinking of joining are fun, what's the harm? It will keep your fingers in trim whilst you wait/look for something else.

I have VERY little experience (playing three months) but am playing with guys at work who have been playing between twenty and thirty years, have been in successful bands and really know their stuff. I cannot believe how much I have come on in a few weeks. We started messing about with some stuff for Christmas so the slade classic was an obvious one. I practised for a week but first time playing together was a car crash for me. They were very supportive and gave me some pointers, I went away and practised like hell for a week. The next time around couldn't have been more different and within a couple of run throughs I was holding my own and when we played a video of it back I was amazed how tight we were. Ok we are only planning half a dozen songs by Christmas but as long as I put the effort in I won't shame myself. Was it a laugh? You bet it was, never had so much fun being crap at something in my life, then when it all came together it was a great buzz as well.

What I am getting at I suppose is that we all start somewhere and if you are prepared to help the others a bit then in a shorter time than you think they may be playing much more like you want them to be.

Yep, I hear what you are saying. But it is one thing to have one inexperienced member in the band and for everyone to help him come along; I have four inexperienced members in this band.

Anyway, I shall stick it out for a bit longer before making my decision. The lead guitarist has come along a decent bit, but the others seem not to have done much practice.

Shame about losing touch with your old drummer, do you have his mobile no. or email?

Other than that, all I can suggest is to look for another project more to your liking. The local Gumtree pages or local music pages on Facebook are worth a look, or the good old ad in the local music shop. Still works.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479694998' post='3178537']
Sort of off topic.

Experience folks and Pros never hire the best musicians.

They hire the best people.

There's a huge obvious difference between the two.

BTW, a lot of folks and bands don't get this.

Blue
[/quote]
there is an element of truth in this. i've had people in my bands who were not the best musicians i could have had, but they were competent and there personality and drive made up for what they lacked in other areas.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1479720581' post='3178625']

there is an element of truth in this. i've had people in my bands who were not the best musicians i could have had, but they were competent and there personality and drive made up for what they lacked in other areas.
[/quote]

Exactly

If I have to be around someone several days in a row they have to be good people.

Who has time for flakes and those that don't understand what being in a band and working with others is about.

Blue

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1478459929' post='3169184']
Don't forget that there is actually NO LAW against being in more than one band at the same time!
[/quote]

No, but there bloody should be. :)

It's alright for the multi-band guy, but not handy when you get offered gigs and the drummer is out with his wedding band ... again.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1479816615' post='3179473']
It's alright for the multi-band guy, but not handy when you get offered gigs and the drummer is out with his wedding band ... again.
[/quote]
Don't just accept sitting at home as an alternative. . . . get a good dep drummer.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479694998' post='3178537']
Sort of off topic.

Experience folks and Pros never hire the best musicians.

They hire the best people.

There's a huge obvious difference between the two.

BTW, a lot of folks and bands don't get this.

Blue
[/quote]

Beyond a certain level of ability, being reliable and easy to get along with are the most important things to look for in a potential bandmate, I reckon. People who really think they are the best very rarely show either of the above traits, in my experience.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1479816615' post='3179473']
No, but there bloody should be. :)

[/quote]

Yeah, that's annoying but... if that is a problem remember you can get another drummer.

As long as the band members have a similar expectation and priority, being in several bands not only is workable, but it can also help. It's helped my band when a member got sick just before a gig, it's helped my band get more gigs... it's not all bad, And people often become better musicians when they play with other people as they're less likely to "stick to what they know" and get more inspiration too.

IME deps are simply too much hard work for an originals band.

From personal experience you have to limit your set to songs you have decent recorded versions of, so unless you are promoting your latest album, it's going to mean digging up material that you'd stopped playing ages ago. And unless you actually manage to get a rehearsal or two in with them before hand, you have to trust that they have learnt all the right nuances.

Finally, just getting them to look the part image-wise for the band is generally an exercise in futility. Even a simple instruction like, wear black, no visible band or brand logos and no trainers is too difficult for some.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1479818631' post='3179496']
And unless you actually manage to get a rehearsal or two in with them before hand, you have to trust that they have learnt all the right nuances.
[/quote]

This applies to cover bands too. Not many bands play all their covers note for note - or your version will grow arms and legs once you've played it for a while and it can be difficult to play it "properly" again ...

Plus, in the frozen wilderness up here, there aren't many decent drummers to go round. Aberdeen folk look down their nose at us out-of-towners, and wouldn't be seen dead telling their mates they were off to do a dep gig in Strichen. Or getting off their arse to get to Strichen in the first place. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1479818631' post='3179496']
IME deps are simply too much hard work for an originals band.

From personal experience you have to limit your set to songs you have decent recorded versions of, so unless you are promoting your latest album, it's going to mean digging up material that you'd stopped playing ages ago. And unless you actually manage to get a rehearsal or two in with them before hand, you have to trust that they have learnt all the right nuances.

Finally, just getting them to look the part image-wise for the band is generally an exercise in futility. Even a simple instruction like, wear black, no visible band or brand logos and no trainers is too difficult for some.
[/quote]

Always try to stay on good terms with ex-members (assuming you have any of course!). B)

Lots of negative posts, but there's nothing so negative as having to sit at home when you could be gigging.

If you have trouble with the dep then you've chosen the wrong guy. [i][b]Don't choose the wrong guy[/b]![/i]

If the band is so inflexible that they can't accommodate some "differences" in the way their songs are played then they really should be getting out, playing with other musicians and working through this inexperience.

I know good deps. This Saturday we are a scratch band of guys who know each other but don't regularly play together. We have a set list from the singer, we know what we should be playing, we've done our homework and it's going to be a great gig. This doesn't happen over night but with experience anyone can make this work.