Why become a member? ×

Gibson G3 wiring help

DanEly

My trusty 77 Gibson G3's centre pickup isn't working in the "bridge" selection.

I'm sure most of the people reading this will already know but the centre pickup is never off when selecting through the pickup options. For some unknown reason it switches off when I select the bridge pickup. The wiring looks okay, minus it also looking like a bit of a mine field. Maybe the toggle switch has packed in. Any help would be really appreciated!

There's also a sticker on the underside of the scratch polite that reads 'Chandler made in the USA' with a serial number so I'm assuming It's already had a repair job? Whoever did that obviously didn't bother lining up the scratch plate as there's now two sets of holes. :huh: I'm tempted to send it off and get it completely overhauled and re-finished as the lacquer is becoming quite sticky.

Here is a wiring diagram, taken from Cadfael's passive wiring book (http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t29f2-Cadfaels-kleine-Schaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html - very good resource, PDF link is at the bottom of the page)

If the wiring looks sound then check the switch - if some of the contacts aren't being pushed together enough by the physical action of the lever then it might cause cut out.

Chandlers == replacement pickguard. Perhaps the old one cracked or warped?

Hope all that helps.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1478514694' post='3169480']
Here is a wiring diagram, taken from Cadfael's passive wiring book ([url="http://161589.homepagemodules.de/t29f2-Cadfaels-kleine-Schaltplan-Sammlung-fuer-passive-E-Baesse.html"]http://161589.homepa...e-E-Baesse.html[/url] - very good resource, PDF link is at the bottom of the page)

If the wiring looks sound then check the switch - if some of the contacts aren't being pushed together enough by the physical action of the lever then it might cause cut out.

Chandlers == replacement pickguard. Perhaps the old one cracked or warped?

Hope all that helps.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for this!

Little up date on the bass... It's a mess. All the wiring is wrong, pickups are in the wrong positions and it's looking like one of the pickups is actually dead. I'm half tempted to sell it and forget I even owned one.

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1481304505' post='3191408']
Are the pickups meant to be out of phase with each other and does the coloured wired from each pickup suggest exactly where they go e.g Black + Red = Neck?
[/quote]

The middle one is reversed as opposed the other two so it will always be humbucking regardless of the setting of the switch. My reading of the circuit is that the middle one is always in series with either pickup or the bridge/neck in parallel (in phase) in the middle position.