Why become a member? ×

Ashdown 410?

Fisheth

I had a latter mag 410 (prc made) although not the most efficient cab, It was well built and had a pleasant tone.
I think if its in half decent Nik and under £100 if not less then there not a bad cab at all.

And I have a little bit of experience with various ashdown stuff although not an expert imo the older British built cabs are built slightly better they seem to skimp slightly on the glue on the latter cabs from what I've seen and also the particle board on the British mags looks better quality that's from having a good look at them as said I'm not am expert.
And I'm sure the older carpet is slightly harder wearing than the latter chinese covering.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1478357421' post='3168592']
I had a latter mag 410 although not the most efficient cab, It was well built and had a pleasant tone.
I think if its in half decent Nik and under £100 if not less then there not a bad cab at all.

And I have a little bit of experience with various ashdown stuff and to me the older British built cabs are built better they seem to skimp on the glue on the latter cabs from what I've seen and also the particle board on the British mags is of better quality that's from having a good look at them.
[/quote]

Wait, so these aren't Plywood?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1478358657' post='3168608']

Think I'll pass on this then and continue on to save for the ABM then!
[/quote]

Well they still are a decent enough cab just they weigh slightly more and probably ain't as durable. But if looked after then not an issue.

My first cab was an old MAG410 with celestion drivers and a ply cab, it was brilliant and I regret selling it because the Trace cabs which took its place weren't nearly as good IMO.

If it's an early UK made I think you'll find it IS ply, they were made from 12mm ply before moving out to a China I believe

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1478363104' post='3168646']
My first cab was an old MAG410 with celestion drivers and a ply cab, it was brilliant and I regret selling it because the Trace cabs which took its place weren't nearly as good IMO.

If it's an early UK made I think you'll find it IS ply, they were made from 12mm ply before moving out to a China I believe
[/quote]

The only thing it says on it is "Made in the UK" Does that mean it is a UK made one? I'm assuming so, but I don't want to be wrong on this.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1478363104' post='3168646']

[/quote]

The very early UK ones were "better" than the latter blueline equipped ones. If it has the blue cones (sica) drivers its particle board. If its the very early celestion ones it could be ply I suppose.
But they did start distinguishing mag from abm cabs with particle or ply as they use or used the same drivers.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1478364233' post='3168662']
Is this the one on Facebook? For £90 I think it's a good cab, I think it'll be ply but could be wrong :)
[/quote]

It is indeed Merton, you'll find I'm the top comment on it.

I'm probably going to do it!

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1478454807' post='3169142']
I seem to remember that the speaker gurus at Trace lived the "sound" of MDF over ply. Maybe that preference transferred to Ashdown?
[/quote]

Interesting, any reason for why they'd use MDF over Plywood? From my guitar days, I got the impression that MDF wasn't as good of a wood and muddied the sound somewhat.