Why become a member? ×

Stranglers - No More Heroes

Autobot22

Hi all

Really struggling to replicate that awesome intro riff from JJ on No More Heroes. Seems like it is 'just' a rapid shred down the G string but man it is fast. I tried using a delay effect but still cant get it to sound right. I'm using a pick. Any tips please guys and gals?

Ah JJ - one of my fave bass players! In fact, probably the man who made me want to play bass, and sound like him...
Love the song, haven't played it in years. I seem to recall never really "nailing" that intro riff - just playing some rapid notes, with a pick, around A and B on the G string. Of course, youtube wasn't around back when I played it - so that's my suggestion anyway; see if there's any footage of JJ himself playing it live, or if there's someone on there who has made a video bass lesson? Worth a try....

Funny enough I saw the Stranglers recently, and watched out for a few details like that; eg, which part of the neck he plays such & such a riff etc. And I don't recall him moving his left hand that much when playing NMH

Best of luck :)

Edited by Marc S

I just play the first note on open G then press down on the 12 fret and run up to the 3rd fret stay on that for a couple of notes then lift off for one note, I think JJ lifts on and off a few times while he's running up the neck as well, but I cock it up if I try that, another little cheat I've found is on the outro, I think JJ plays GBbGFG (and at the end of the chorus) I find it easier to play GBbGEG.