Why become a member? ×

Going back to flatwounds

Jaykingfunk

Morning all!

I've recently started listening to the band Vulpeck and NEED that bass sound!

Apparently the bassist uses La Bella flatwounds on a Fender Mexican jazz, from what I've read.

Just wondered what brands people use for flats, I used to use Rotosound years ago on my musicman but I'm going to be swapping the strings on my Fender Jazz.

Cheers, J.

Interesting because on his Reddit AMA (10 months ago) he said that uses old Roundwounds on his J. He does use another bass with Thomastik flatwounds on it though

Look for a post from BeowulfShatner on the AMA and he lists what he uses.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bass/comments/3x9fmv/ama_hi_im_joe_dart_bassist_in_vulfpeck_ask_me/

I'm not that keen on the feel of flats - despite also playing double bass.
On my Fretless Precision, I use Thomastik Flats. They are low tension, but if I don't pick the fretless up for a week or 2, I forget just how low tension they are! Previously tried Rotosound flats and Steve Harris sig flats. Both of those seemed very high tension to me

EDIT: Not tried LaBella flats, but I'd really like to. I hear good reports from others

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1478013525' post='3166000']
If you like low tension flats and can't afford Thomastik try La Bella Low Tension Flats. They are also lighter gauge and fit most nuts without needing adjust whereas many flats are also thicker and less straightforward to swop on to a bass designed to take rounds.
[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks :)

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1478028017' post='3166201']
In the video below, he is using a white Jazz with hi mass bridge. Red colour string silks so either TIs or low gauge La Bellas.

Using an Aguilar rig too.

https://youtu.be/fI2jABvHe9o
[/quote]

Don't Rotosound Swing Bass 66 rounds have red silks? (I.e. The worn type he's quoted as using).

From what I've seen he's a master of string muting so this would be a good part of his sound (rather than string type/flats - he's quoted as using Thomastiks on a Stingray also).