Why become a member? ×

Help Needed with sale of bass

Thunderbird

I don't agree with setting a restriction like that. They sometimes have something cool I want ;)
I am more cautious about those, 'though. Remember: you are not obliged to buy or sell to someone if you don't feel entirely happy about it. Feel free to avoid single-digit post 'traders', but it would be nice to let others deal with them if they wanted to.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1478009298' post='3165949']
Seriously Marc, I wasn't having a pop at any real luthier - not intentionally anyway. My suggestion was intended to steer Mr. Newbie Scam away from Basschat. If he asked Dearnaley to do a job for him, then that's between him and Dearnaley.

If it reads that I was insulting Dearnaley then my apologies to all.
[/quote]

No problems Happy Jack - I was only saying that if Dave doesn't charge 230 quid, then either the guy who did the re-fret is overcharging the new owner, or the new owner is over egging the actual cost, in order to get more from the seller
I didn't think you were having a go at a luthier, or luthiers in general matey :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1478002395' post='3165851']
+2 Long walk, short pier.
[/quote]

+3
100 yard dash in a 10 yard room. :lol:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1478001497' post='3165834']
he did the work without consulting you first. You have no obligations
[/quote]

Cheddatom is right, it ends right there
he/she could of asked you to take it back first, if it was that bad.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1478079116' post='3166511']
In this Digital Age, it would be so easy to take 'before' and 'after' pictures, so as to show proof of the problem, and its rectification. At the very least......................................................you know what? Ignore the pillock! He wasn't even worthy of the effort involved to finish my post. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Al makes a great point here.
I always take photos of the bass as it's being packed.
I will also already have photos from the advert.
Never really taken photos of fret heights before, but I will now.

Sorry to hear about your problem Thunderbird (I had one try it with me and it's STILL on my feedback :angry: ) but it will work out in your favour so quit worrying fella :D

a few years ago I sold a bass on basschat which had dodgy wiring (which was unknown to me at the time I sold it). The buyer, a trusted member of basschat, messaged me and made me aware of it within a couple of days of receiving it. I immediately gave him a refund of the cost of repair. If he had got in touch 2 months later, I would probably have told him that the bass was no longer my responsibility and the cost of repair was down to him.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1478113372' post='3166874']
a few years ago I sold a bass on basschat which had dodgy wiring (which was unknown to me at the time I sold it). The buyer, a trusted member of basschat, messaged me and made me aware of it within a couple of days of receiving it. I immediately gave him a refund of the cost of repair. If he had got in touch 2 months later, I would probably have told him that the bass was no longer my responsibility and the cost of repair was down to him.
[/quote] I had something the same I sold a bass and it was perfect but the courier decided to bash it and snap a tuner so the guy who bought it let me know about it asap and to cut a long story short I ordered him a full new set of tuners at cost to myself even though was the couriers fault and all was good I want people to be 100% happy when I sell gear :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1478113095' post='3166869']
Al makes a great point here.
I always take photos of the bass as it's being packed.
I will also already have photos from the advert.
Never really taken photos of fret heights before, but I will now.

Sorry to hear about your problem Thunderbird ([b]I had one try it with me and it's STILL on my feedback[/b] :angry: ) but it will work out in your favour so quit worrying fella :D
[/quote]

I read that... ridiculous.
Funny that he was so upset with the wood but £50 would put it right. :rolleyes:
The exchange on the feedback speaks for itself... you're alright, Karl ;)

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1478083312' post='3166566']
Just a thought. It might be good if you had to have a certain post count before access to the market place. I've frequented other forums where they do this and they do seem to get less issues.

However I suppose it might take away revenue?
[/quote]

It's pointless for lots of reasons but the main one being that a post count is no indication if a persons ability to be honest. We always advise people to meet up or talk on he phone prior to doing any deal anyway. It would mean less items being listed so less people coming to look and more pointless posts as people jump up thier count to get in. Since introducing the charge we've put many scanners off because they're required to pay and most scammers won't front any money to do so. It's amazing how few problems we ever hear about when you look at how busy the marketplace is as evidenced by the outrage here!

OP, can you send me the users name please by PM?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1478124638' post='3167022']

It's pointless for lots of reasons but the main one being that a post count is no indication if a persons ability to be honest. We always advise people to meet up or talk on he phone prior to doing any deal anyway. It would mean less items being listed so less people coming to look and more pointless posts as people jump up thier count to get in. Since introducing the charge we've put many scanners off because they're required to pay and most scammers won't front any money to do so. It's amazing how few problems we ever hear about when you look at how busy the marketplace is as evidenced by the outrage here!

OP, can you send me the users name please by PM?

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

I do agree with you.
It was just a thought. I just think it would be nice tho if the "sellers" of no or low post count joined in the forum a bit more. Especially as lots have nice gear or seem to have knowledge on something it would only enrich the forum having more people post.
Also having a higher post count does put people more at ease about buying than a low or no post count. But as you said it of course isn't an honesty counter so to say.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1478135316' post='3167104']
I do agree with you.
It was just a thought. I just think it would be nice tho if the "sellers" of no or low post count joined in the forum a bit more. Especially as lots have nice gear or seem to have knowledge on something it would only enrich the forum having more people post.
Also having a higher post count does put people more at ease about buying than a low or no post count. But as you said it of course isn't an honesty counter so to say.
[/quote]

Totally agree, and this is how i view items i want to buy.

I personally prefer to know who im giving money to, and to do that i will look at their posts. Those adds that say very little about the seller or the item dont bother even putting a location down will not interest me, that makes it too much lies eBay.

I dont think we need any rules, we can all make our own choices, but as this is supposed to be a community i would only deal with soemone who takes part in conversation, or can at least string more than one basic senescent together.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1478191781' post='3167451']
I always talk to them on the phone. Simple and effective. Always puts any doubts to rest.
[/quote]

That doesnt work for me, although im happy It works for you.

Anyone can say anything on the phone. Scammers are very clever these days and can say all the right things. Even face to face isnt an indication for what someone plans to do.
Having a decent post history gives more away than a phone call IME.