Why become a member? ×

Finished! And now for something completely different ...

Andyjr1515

Like the swifts in the fretboard, I used the Dremel on a precision router base with a 1.5mm and 0.8mm bit, cut freehand after tracing round the mother of pearl cut-out shapes:

This gave a 'not perfect but quite tight' fit:

Which, squeezed into epoxy mixed with some rosewood sanding dust, should look the business once sanded down and the mahogany stained to match the fretboard:

Loads and loads still to do on the build, but not so many scary jobs left :D

Thanks for looking :)

Starting to get my head around the final building jobs. When you put them down on paper, there still seem to be an immense number left!

The last one, 'Finish' isn't like the french cartoons 'Fin', it's actually 'Start the finishing process' :rolleyes: . Not too bad, though...the trick is not to write this 'finishing' list too soon otherwise it really CAN be disheartening! :D

I'm going to start routing the control chamber and pickup chambers soon so am talking to Nic about preferred knob positions. He sent me some very fancy knobs to fit, wherever we finally decide they should go:

The nice thing about the scarily long list of 'to do's' is that you can find the easy ones and tick a few of them off :D

A bit of chestnut stain on the headstock and, once it is varnished and the fretboard is properly oiled, they will compliment each other pretty well:

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1482063593' post='3197271']
I love watching you work........beautiful stuff :)
[/quote]
Thanks :) Funnily enough, a lot of my bosses over the years have said they love watching me work.... :lol:

Another small one ticked off the list. I won't decide what colour to do the truss-rod cover until the finishing is done (or maybe even leave it natural), but it wants to be slightly contrasted to the fretboard and headstock:

Last job off the list for today - sorting the jack/Tx socket and deepening the open-backed chamber. A bit scary, this one ;)

If you remember, Nic wanted it hidden from the front but open and fully accessible at the back.

With lots of lateral support, I used a couple of forstners to drill the holes for the tele-type jack holder:

Then deepened the chamber with a router, roughing out with a guide-ring and then finishing with a roller-guided edge trimmer.

From the front it looks like this:

From the back it looks like this:

and from the end it looks like this:

And if the battery goes, just pull it out and plug in a standard jack :D

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1482170007' post='3198204']
What! No update today??

I'm having withdrawals and it's not even my bass...
[/quote]
:)

I was doing a 'basschat helping other basschat members' stint today, helping to bring a lovely early 70's Precision back to life :)

The DiMarzio Model One should arrive tomorrow, so there might be a bit more progress before MrsAndyjr1515 insists that I take the rapidly approaching festivity preparations seriously ;)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1482173676' post='3198233']
:)

I was doing a 'basschat helping other basschat members' stint today, helping to bring a lovely early 70's Precision back to life :)

The DiMarzio Model One should arrive tomorrow, so there might be a bit more progress before MrsAndyjr1515 insists that I take the rapidly approaching festivity preparations seriously ;)
[/quote]

I think a break for Christmas is perfectly justified Andy. :)

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1482182643' post='3198318']

I think a break for Christmas is perfectly justified Andy. :)
[/quote]
Luckily, MrsAndyjr1515 knows that the best Christmas present I can be given is being permission to spend another hour in the cellar workshop :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1482183862' post='3198330']

Luckily, MrsAndyjr1515 knows that the best Christmas present I can be given is being permission to spend another hour in the cellar workshop :)
[/quote]
...and that would be a bit of Christmas present for MrsAndyjr1515 too ;)

[quote name='Fabrocker' timestamp='1482235121' post='3198642']
Awesome job! For the Chris Squire!
[/quote]

Not a huge amount to show, but two more important items crossed off the list. First the final flattening and radiusing of the fretboard before the frets go on. Now THAT'S what I call a levelling beam :D :

I'm trying to replicate the general feel of Nic's erstwhile Ric as far as possible. That had quite a tight radius of 10". This gets the fretboard end very close and personal to the top, which was another preference of Nic's:

It's that much tighter than a 'standard' bass that the fret slots will need deepening!

Once I've done that, I can install the frets.

The other important progress step is that the Model One has arrived. It's going to look beefy!:

I've covered the way I do frets in previous threads. In brief:

I file a small relief at the edge of the slots with a triangular needle file:

I run a small bead of titebond along the tang. Note the fret wire I buy comes coiled, so I don't have to pre-bend:

With the back supported, I hammer one side, then the other, then the middle. The squeeze out gives me a good indication that it's properly seated.

Every two or three frets hammered in, I 'walk' the radius block up the neck and clamp while the glue sets:

Where the frets are next to the body, I roughly pre-finish the ends to minimise the amount of bevelling:

Note the dampness where I've wiped off the titebond squeeze-out so it doesn't stain the fretboard.

And with a few ends still to trim once the glue has dried sufficiently, done :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1482254273' post='3198948']

Has one of the Swifts flown away??
[/quote]

:lol:

No - there were always just two on the fretboard. There are another three on the headstock (and one on the truss rod cover). That's enough swifts...even for me :D

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1482261025' post='3199058']
Coming along...

...swiftly :facepalm:

Seriously though it's beautiful, in an unusual way. And it's progressing well. Thanks for taking the time to share!
[/quote]
I've heard worse! :)

..and thanks - very much appreciated :)

Well, my tactic of sitting for four days, drink in hand, grinning inebriatedly and inanely at Mrs Andyjr1515 finally worked.

"Why don't you just go back into the cellar and go back to make lots of noise and dust! ANYTHING would be better than seeing your stupid face gawping everywhere!!!"

:D

The luminlay side dots are in. There are cheaper alternatives (and it's a bit of a bind having to order direct from Japan), but the ease of fitment with the neat outer sheath and easy, chip-free sawing makes such a difference.

Basically, it's drill the hole; drop of cyano; press the stick in; cut flush:

The are neat and great both in daylight and in the dark. Here they are fitted - I've gone for the 5mm ones up to the body join:

...and 3mm where the fretboard is flat against the body top:

That's another job crossed off the 'to-do' list :)