Why become a member? ×

Finished! And now for something completely different ...

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Pastor' timestamp='1480696898' post='3186557']
Routing with a 0.8mm bit? Nuff said really!!
[/quote]
It's a ...uh hum... short one. Well, broken to be more precise :lol: . Very useful, though, now it's short enough not to break again - if I'm careful :D

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1480697151' post='3186558'] It's a ...uh hum... short one. Well, broken to be more precise :lol: . Very useful, though, now it's short enough not to break again - if I'm careful :D [/quote]
There's a surprise! Still very impressive, I've been a cabinet maker for the last 33 years and I find a 2mm cutter a big worry

The fretboard has tidied up nicely:

Before the top can go on, I had to rout the cable runs, weight relieving holes and cut the slot for the wireless Tx, and also check that nothing clashes with each other:

I will cut some corresponding weight relief chambers at the back of the top to maximise weight reduction and then it's pretty much time to glue it on! :D

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1480863810' post='3187622']
Seems like lots of progress in a short time...will Santa be delivering this for Xmas??
[/quote]
No - I'm afraid not, Mick. The build is going well but the finishing generally takes a while - a lot of waiting rather than doing, but best not to be rushed. I always allow 4 weeks after physical completion. Could be mid to end of Jan, though...

No rush for Christmas. It will be ready when it is. Even I can be patient for this.

Having said that I have already been playing it................. In my mind, and it sounds awesome there.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/snoopy_dancing_by_jessie4508_zpsozd1ombx.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by gelfin

I think I've solved a mystery. As Nic has built TWO Mouradian style instruments, including the stunning double neck, you must have been wondering, as I was, why would he need a relative stranger to do the next one rather than do it himself?

I think I've sussed it.

PTSD

Post Traumatic Sanding Disorder!!! :shok:

I've been at this a full day already....and at least another day of sanding still to do - and that's BEFORE I start rounding the edges.

When the normal method for sanding down to the join is a block and sandpaper on a continuous external curve, you forget just how hard it is to sand down to a join when you can't get a block there or any leverage or real pressure! Those tight internal curves. I can now imagine, if you'd already built two of these, why you might not want to build a third :D

I also need to check with Nic what radius he prefers for the edges - the various examples you see are quite varied. The original was pretty much just rounded off corners, but some of the other examples have a definite radius.

It does, on the other hand, look and feel more like a bass each day that goes by :)

The real truth why I asked Andy to do this build is twofold.

1. I couldn't possibly build a neck accurately enough, let alone the fretting. I used donor necks on my builds.

Because of this I had bolt on necks. I prefer through neck.

2. I played Kerts Camphor single cut at the last S Wales Bass Bash and was blown away with how good it is.

As for sanding in the awkward spaces I used a power finger sander. Something like this.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Finger%20sander_zpsleljt5m8.jpg.html"][/url]

Additionally, the finish on my builds does not stand up to scrutiny of well lit photography.

20ft away on a dark stage is fine.

Edited by gelfin

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1481127279' post='3189899']
The real truth why I asked Andy to do this build is twofold.

1. I couldn't possibly build a neck accurately enough, let alone the fretting. I used donor necks on my builds.

Because of this I had bolt on necks. I prefer through neck.

2. I played Kerts Camphor single cut at the last S Wales Bass Bash and was blown away with how good it is.

As for sanding in the awkward spaces I used a power finger sander. Something like this.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Finger%20sander_zpsleljt5m8.jpg.html"][/url]

Additionally, the finish on my builds does not stand up to scrutiny of well lit photography.

20ft away on a dark stage is fine.
[/quote]
I'll pass your comments to my psycho-analyst :lol:

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1481127279' post='3189899']

[/quote]
Actually, I've been wondering about getting a power-file like that for a while... maybe this could be my justification! :D (I'll start practising the conversation with the boss..."Now then, dear, I don't want a power-file, it's just that I [i]need[/i] a power file" :) )

I've added the radius on both sides - the slight router burn marks on the upper horn will sand out ... I slowed down the travel here to make ABSOLUTELY sure I didn't radius the neck! Been there, done that!

I've also planed the top for the fretboard to sit properly with the dusty end flush with the top.

...and the back. Here you can see I've just started planing the transition of the neck. I will finish this off when I carve the neck itself...which is pretty much the next job after a bit more sanding on the body:

I just had the wink of approval from Nic on the headstock design. Similar concept to Kert's Camphor single-cut, with the cutaway reflecting the shape of the body:

The centre will be painted cream, with mahogany either side, a passing nod to Nic's (now gone?) cream Ric.

I've also ordered the remaining bits and pieces, including the DiMarzio Model One and, as it's Christmas, I'm treating Nic to a set of Schaller lightweight tuners. They are not as eye-wateringly expensive as the Hipshot ultra-lights but they are definitely the business in looks and at 50% of the weight of standard ones!

Still a huge amount to do, but very pleased with the progress on this.

Still a bit of final sanding to do, but this is pretty much the shape:

It will be stained a bit darker (closer to the shade of the fretboard) and have a central cream stripe and a couple of inlay swifts, and of course the body will be cream too, but shape-wise this is how it's starting to look: