Why become a member? ×

I have a Dream - fantasy bass - does this exist?

chickenjames

ok. here goes.

Current stable and reference points
EBMM StingRay 4 2EQ
Sire MM V7 4 string
Spector Legend Classic 5) <- hardly play this :-(
(used to own MIM P)
Sire and EBMM both have flats

I've played this lot plenty over the years, and I think my ideal bass/sound would be like this:

- fast neck as seen on the Sire (and probably typical of Jazzes generally). Sire feels a lot quicker than Stingray
- touch sensitivity and punch as seen on Stingray
- a SMOOTH round sound. Sometimes like the mids on the Jazz (and the Spector) but today I'm thinking about something smooth and punchy with no 'growl'
- ability to be heard in the mix without turning up
- classic look would be good

What would you do? Options that have occurred to me:
- perhaps I have the EQ wrong on the Sire?
- perhaps I need a J neck on P body?
- perhaps I need a super J with both J and P pups?
- EBMM Sterling?
- I'd like the answer to be some kind of oldish Fender but not sure if that's realistic. Is there any sort of proper Fender P with a fast neck?

comments welcome! I think I'm trying to get the best of all worlds and that usually leads to disappointment...

You have to figure out where you want to compromise the least. For me it was always the neck. I need something thin, fast and played in. I always hated new basses.

The next was I wanted a jazz and Precision pick up config. I realised he only way to get this was to have two basses, so it turns out my perfect bass was actually two!

Then I searched for the perfect amp. When I was in my prog phase it was 2 Hiwatt DR103s, but in the end I settled for 2 EBS 350s. It became equally as important as the bass.

Edited by Burns-bass

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1477867877' post='3164991']
The next was I wanted a jazz and Precision pick up config. I realised the only way to get this was to have two basses, so it turns out my perfect bass was actually two!
[/quote]

There are some J/P configs around - like my Jazz Aerodyne :) - although you'll have to hunt for one.

I have an Indonesian Squier P-bass Special. Lovely thin Jazz neck, P body and P/J pups. If you can find one and don't mind the non-Fender decal it could be ideal. Cheap enough to replace the pickups for something to your liking.

You can't have mine though! :D