Why become a member? ×

Shortscale and sparkly. On a budget. By a Beginner

FuNkShUi

Cheers gents.
Yes it is a lot more sparkly in person.
I think the iridescent flake has kind of given it a kind of unidentifiable quality.
As in, you can see green, you can see purple, but what else is it ??? Well its the iridescent flake.
Looks good to me, so i think it'll only improve with more layers.
As always, we will see :lol:

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1481572015' post='3193405']
Nice job.
I suggest you scrape the flake out of the neck pocket then tape this off. Otherwise, you are going to have some fun when it comes time to put it all back together again.
[/quote]

There is masking tape in there, it just matches the colour of the primer, so maybe you cant see it?

I took these photos pretty much straight away though. The flake has been removed :)

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1481569064' post='3193366']
Very bling! Well done that man. I'm going to be interested how many coats of lacquer you're going to need to get that flat and polished

/Adds build sparkly guitar to todo list
[/quote]

Not sure how flat or polished the final bass will look, but i'l be sure to keep count

Well I’ve definitely worked out the best way for me to go about the application of the metal flake.
After initially putting it on top of a layer of Primer, I was happy, but perhaps a little underwhelmed by the depth of the “sparklyness”.
I wanted a thicker covering.
So I continued to finish the layer of primer and layer of flake on the sides and the wings.
It did look good. Buuuuuuuuuut……I still wasn’t happy, and more than that, I had a lot of flake left!
So I decided I would do the same again, but this time with a clear layer, and a far less stingy dose of flake.
So that’s what I did.
I think it looks much better.
I did a few things different. Instead of hanging the bass up to dry over night, I only applied the clear coat to one side, then spooned the flake on (with a spoon funnily enough), then let it sit, and dry in the lacquer. This resulted in a far denser application of the flake, and much closer to the look I envisaged.
I'm going to do the other side tonight, and once dried I’ll take some more pictures.
I’m probably going to need another can of clear sealant because of this, but I don’t mind as I think it will make a substantial difference.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1481703933' post='3194349']
Well I’ve definitely worked out the best way for me to go about the application of the metal flake.
After initially putting it on top of a layer of Primer, I was happy, but perhaps a little underwhelmed by the depth of the “sparklyness”.
I wanted a thicker covering.
So I continued to finish the layer of primer and layer of flake on the sides and the wings.
It did look good. Buuuuuuuuuut……I still wasn’t happy, and more than that, I had a lot of flake left!
So I decided I would do the same again, but this time with a clear layer, and a far less stingy dose of flake.
So that’s what I did.
I think it looks much better.
I did a few things different. Instead of hanging the bass up to dry over night, I only applied the clear coat to one side, then spooned the flake on (with a spoon funnily enough), then let it sit, and dry in the lacquer. This resulted in a far denser application of the flake, and much closer to the look I envisaged.
I'm going to do the other side tonight, and once dried I’ll take some more pictures.
I’m probably going to need another can of clear sealant because of this, but I don’t mind as I think it will make a substantial difference.
[/quote]
Sounds like a very measured iterative approach. Such an approach is very likely to produce the result you are after :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1481705634' post='3194357']
Sounds like a very measured iterative approach. Such an approach is very likely to produce the result you are after :)
[/quote]

Haha it's called the "hit and miss" method :lol:
Starting to get close to something good though, IMO anyway.
Although with the way it's looking i may need black hardware to match the pickguard :blush: :D

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1481531621' post='3192885']

.......It's really hard to get a accurate representation of what this looks like. In looks different depending on how the light is hitting it.....

[/quote]

The answer is obvious FuNkShUi - you need to get a disco ball installed in your garage! ;)

Looking really good matey. Am looking forward to seeing this and Gelfin's new bass at the next bass bash

For some reason the sight of that gaffer tape on the fretboard makes me cringe :lol: It's so strong it'll pull the neck in two haha

This is looking really cool, especially with the matching headstock! Someday I'll get a cheapo banger off t'eBay and have a go at this myself, I love the glittersparkle finish so far!

• 2 months later...

Bit of a delay on this one, i dislocated my shoulder early January and had to take a break.
It's finished now though.
It's really hard to get a good picture because it looks different depending on the light and where you are standing!
Here it is though :

I am happy with how it looks. Had this kind of thing in my head throughout the build, and i'm pleased with the end result.
Lots of mistakes made along the way, but definitely lessons learnt too!
It isnt ready to gig though as there is a hum when i plug it in. Sounds great, but the hum annoys me, so there is probably an earthing fault somewhere.
I will take it apart and see if i can find it soon :)