Why become a member? ×

First time in Wunjos today..

skidder652003

So, Ive been up the big smoke this half term with my lad and his best mate, they're both14.
They wanted to see the "famous" Denmark street, so I obliged.
Firstly, Denmark Street is a tiny half arsed street with perhaps half a dozen geetar shops, the rest closed, borded up or sex shops (ok, I made that last bit up).
Secondly, Wunjos is split into 2 shops, acoustic guitars and keyboard in one shop, electric guitars and bass (in the basement) in another shop. They were a hell of a lot smaller than I was expecting, don't know why, but I thought they would be huge, but then again Im not paying the strtospheric rent!
Mansons in Exeter is about 10 times bigger.
A good selection of basses but nothing that took my breath away (no Wals etc)
The best thing though was how 100% friendly the staff were. We were only looking at a looper pedal for my boys mate (after seeing an amazing busker in Leicester square the night before using a whole array of them). The guy behind the counter could not have been more helpful without any obligation or pressure to buy it there and then. He said come back any time to try a few models out. Anyway, very impressed!
That is all.

Edited by skidder652003

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1477438932' post='3162309']
Pity you weren't in Camden - The Bass Gallery is a treasure trove of gear.
[/quote]
I was in camden the day before!
Unfortunately I was too busy entertaining 2 x 14 year old boys in search of T shirts with rude words on 'em and Camden Lock was a nightmare!

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1477445476' post='3162318']
Wunjo's is split into 3 shops? Guitar, bass and keyboard, all upstairs in different shops.
[/quote]
Not any more. Acoustic guitars and keyboards are now in what used to be Chris Bryant's old shop on the corner, Electric guitars are in the shop which used to have the keyboards and basses are in the basement of the same shop.

This is IMHO a victory for Acoustic guitarists, who can now try instruments out without being blown away by loud electrics in the next bay.

You should know that the whole of Denmark Street is being renovated shop by shop, which is why Wunjo's is crammed into a basement. Should be great when it's all finished.

Having said that space is a premium and I'm sure punters and assistants alike would much prefer more space. I find the Bass Gallery to be too cramped as well and the staff in my experience much less helpful than Wunjo's.

Davo

[quote name='Davo-London' timestamp='1477475230' post='3162423']
You should know that the whole of Denmark Street is being renovated shop by shop, which is why Wunjo's is crammed into a basement. Should be great when it's all finished.

Having said that space is a premium and I'm sure punters and assistants alike would much prefer more space. I find the Bass Gallery to be too cramped as well and the staff in my experience much less helpful than Wunjo's.

Davo
[/quote]

I thought Denmark Street was being demolished to make way for crossrail?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1477486561' post='3162531']

I thought Denmark Street was being demolished to make way for crossrail?
[/quote]

The petitions against this have had some success:
http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/success-for-save-denmark-street-campaign-three-buildings-protected-and-new-planning-legislation-in-place/021493

I was involved with early planning and design for that whole area TCR/New Oxford St junction but NOT Denmark Street. Consolidated Developments own Denmark Street and were planning to redevelop in order to take advantage of Crossrail's revitalisation in the area. But the demolition of the Astoria left some pretty pissed off people behind and they didn't want to see yet more of London's musical history being lost. I'm glad Consolidated cooled their heels a little bit and decided to manage the whole change process a little more sensitively.

Shame the 12 Bar had to go though.

I think it's the sax shop that'll be knocked through to make an alley direct from the tube station. As previously said Wunjo's are being shunted around to renovate the shops one at a time. Last time I asked when they'd be taking over the hairdressers.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1477489006' post='3162546']
I was involved with early planning and design for that whole area TCR/New Oxford St junction but NOT Denmark Street. Consolidated Developments own Denmark Street and were planning to redevelop in order to take advantage of Crossrail's revitalisation in the area. But the demolition of the Astoria left some pretty pissed off people behind and they didn't want to see yet more of London's musical history being lost. I'm glad Consolidated cooled their heels a little bit and decided to manage the whole change process a little more sensitively.
[/quote]

The demolition of that entire area was 100% unnecessary and nobody asked for it, it's just another nail in the coffin of London's cultural heritage. 'Revitalization' is a funny expression to use for an area that had its vitality bulldozed and replaced by Costa etc.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1477518719' post='3162811']
The demolition of that entire area was 100% unnecessary and nobody asked for it, it's just another nail in the coffin of London's cultural heritage. 'Revitalization' is a funny expression to use for an area that had its vitality bulldozed and replaced by Costa etc.
[/quote]
OK...

1) I'm not sure whether you're directing comments at me personally or whether you're having a general moan. I'm not interested in being scapegoated for what is going on but I understand the sentimental attachment to the area.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by 'that entire area' either. Denmark Street? Crossrail? TCR/New Oxford St junction? The entire area I worked (everything apart from Denmark St) on hasn't been demolished, just the bits that the Crossrail station is on/under. Crossrail has an Act of Parliament that says it gets automatic planning permission and the local planning authority can only raise conditions that need to be met. So there was bugger all hope of stopping Crossrail from doing anything - unfortunately. Their core area sat right on top of the Astoria and the location of the station was largely dictated by the massive amount of infrastructure and piling on under TCR/New Oxford St junction. There was very little flexibility for locating things in any other place than where they are.

From what I can see, there's plenty of vitality still in the area despite all the work and once Crossrail comes online it'll be heaving. The main challenge with the urban realm proposals was getting people away from the area, not attracting them.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1477560500' post='3162931']
1) I'm not sure whether you're directing comments at me personally or whether you're having a general moan. I'm not interested in being scapegoated for what is going on but I understand the sentimental attachment to the area.
[/quote]

Im pretty sure that it wasn't directed at you in the slightest. You didn't exactly wave the flag to say let work commence.

I seem to recall that the reason behind the clear out of a lot of the long established businesses wasn't directly the fault of Crossrail, but rather the landlords taking the opportunity to jack up the rents in anticipation that the area would become the swinging heart of hip London once the "regeneration" was complete. that was certainly behind the Intrepid Fox having to leave, and Crossrail issued a polite but firm statement telling the disgruntled punters to please stop sending them abusive e-mails because they had no designs on the pub and were not responsible for it's closure.

wunjos is a great shop. always has some interesting 2nd hand stuff. staff are always very helpful although I did have to laugh at one member of staff, I'd tried an early 70s telecaster bass. Natural, ash and REALLY heavy. I put it back and the chap asked me what I thought. I said it was great (played really nicely) but too heavy for me, 'That's Ash Man' he said.
I laughed. Perhaps he doesn't know you can get light ash too. Or a lovely maple bodied P bass that's as heavy as a boat anchor (The Steve Harris bass I have is better than a door stop!!)

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1477437847' post='3162304']
Mansons in Exeter is about 10 times bigger.
[/quote]

Is there another room in Mansons that I have never seen then? OK, Wunjos has got smaller as they shut the bass center down and moved it next door, but I really doubt that it is that much bigger.

Also Mansons has hardly any basses.

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1477577914' post='3163128']
I prefer Hank's at the far end. Some cool gear in there. At highly inflated London prices though!
[/quote]
Isn't Hanks owned by the same people who own Music Ground and several of the other businesses on that Street?

I wouldn't miss the Pillars of Hercules but woe betide any one who lays a finger on the Princess Louise.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1477608961' post='3163414']
Isn't Hanks owned by the same people who own Music Ground and several of the other businesses on that Street?
[/quote]

Not any more. They (the Hendersons) went bankrupt and Hanks was bought by a US based music company. I've had very recent dealings with Hanks.

FWIW Camden made the area a conservation area in 2010 so if there are any further issues with development, the Secretary of State can be brought in to make a decision. The cost of mounting a legal case for redevelopment makes it very (and unnecessarily) expensive for developers. However, having said that, Camden have still announced proposals to demolish n[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]umbers 1–6 and 17–21 Denmark PLACE (not street), which run parallel along the back of the street, and the York and Clifton Mansions will be demolished, along with partial demolition of No. 21 Denmark Street to make way for an 800 seat performance venue.[/font][/color]