Why become a member? ×

Tidy Rockabilly setup question

Trimmo91

I cant be bothered with hanging a ton of junk on my bass, just to make battery changing a 10 minute job, so I just run a 20' stereo cable from the pick up and have my pre-amp on top of the amp - its not like I ever need to adjust it mid set. Short of taking the pick ups off altogether, I can't imagine a tidier way to do it :)

I think the "without wireless" detail has been somewhat overlooked! :P

Anyway, try this - http://www.custom-lynx.co.uk/looms/unbalanced-loom-2.html

2x quarter inch each end... although you may need to speak to them directly so you can get the fly length to exactly the length you want. Should give you the connectivity (without a shared ground) but a standard width cable to lead to the desk/amps.

I'd agree, irrespective of the "without wireless" part of the request, the best way to get the result you want is to go wireless :)

Doesn't have to be a huge [font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]investment (I scored a Line 6 from Gumtree for not very much), and it frees you up and tidies you up, and I’m darned if I can notice any difference in sound quality.[/color][/size][/font]

Sorry to be unhelpful!

My setup when I played rockabilly was two completely separate systems:
- a normal bass amp for the bass;
- a small guitar amp for the click.

It was really nice if I needed to adjust anything mid-gig to have that independence. E.g. click too loud/harsh? Just adjust its volume/eq without messing with the bass sound.

So in terms of neatness, it was just the two jack leads coming out of the bass.

I'm trying to aboid having two leads coming from the bass. My idea is this:
Bridge wing pickup (doesn't require preamp)
Fingerboard pickup that goes into an eq pedal mounted under the fingerboard for volume and eq control.
Both of these then go into a fender micro aby pedal mounted in the tailpiece. From the pedal to amp input.
Should this work? I can't really see why it wouldn't.

I just feel that using wireless there is too much to go wrong and difficult to diagnose what has stopped working because there are so many parts to it. Keeping it simple with just leads means that if a problem arises mid set a quick lead change should solve everything. I like things simple but tidy.

Edited by Trimmo91

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477822374' post='3164583']
They are quite bulky boxes to hang off the bass, a special double lead as ebs freak suggested would be better imo, quick and neat solution and just put any pedals/preamps etc all up by the amp?
[/quote]
Sorry I meant the Fender micro aby pedal

Ive never felt the need for vol and eq on the neck p/up. You can get good tonal variations by trying out different positions for it. Once your happy leave it in place. Youll be surprised how different and out of balance a bass feels if you have too kit stuck on.
But then again each bass is different and the only way youll know is to do it.

[quote name='Trimmo91' timestamp='1477813301' post='3164519']
My idea is this:
Fingerboard pickup that goes into an eq pedal mounted under the fingerboard for volume and eq control.
Both of these then go into a fender micro aby pedal mounted in the tailpiece. From the pedal to amp input.
[/quote]

Perhaps this then:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/kk_dual_channel_pro_preamp.htm

Roland make some leads already for this sort of thing

Dual phono to phono
http://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Roland-Dual-1-4-1-4-Interconnect-Cable-15ft-45m/1HXA?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=69886d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=264508440619&gclid=CMG8oqafg9ACFUmeGwodKP4CDQ

Or dual phono to stereo
http://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Roland-1-4-TRS-Dual-1-4-Interconnect-Cable-10ft-3m/1HXK?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=69896d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=185630802079&gclid=CMzJo8ifg9ACFQEA0wodVjMJBQ

[quote name='Trimmo91' timestamp='1477813301' post='3164519']
I'm trying to aboid having two leads coming from the bass. My idea is this:
Should this work? I can't really see why it wouldn't.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how mounting 2 pedals on the bass is 'tidy'. Maybe it's just me but that means more junk that needs to be removed for battery changes. I use a twin pick up with a single female stereo jack. The kind of thing K&K, Superior Bass Works, or J-tone produce. Therefore 1 single stereo cable from bass to pre-amp (like the one jrixn1 posted). I really can't imagine anything tidier than that. Nothing other than the pickup itself on the bass and that only takes one minute to remove, if I need to do so.

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1477932673' post='3165363']

I'm not sure how mounting 2 pedals on the bass is 'tidy'. Maybe it's just me but that means more junk that needs to be removed for battery changes. I use a twin pick up with a single female stereo jack. The kind of thing K&K, Superior Bass Works, or J-tone produce. Therefore 1 single stereo cable from bass to pre-amp (like the one jrixn1 posted). I really can't imagine anything tidier than that. Nothing other than the pickup itself on the bass and that only takes one minute to remove, if I need to do so.
[/quote]

I've seen it in action, looks proper neat to me too :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477932863' post='3165366']

I've seen it in action, looks proper neat to me too :D
[/quote]

Thanks :) I'm happy with it. On our journey to the Bash, Guy was telling me how impressed he was with the Shadow pickup system. I like the sound of it but strapping something that looks like it belongs in a 1980's Terminator movie onto my bass is enough for me to say 'bugger that' :D

• 5 weeks later...

I've buggered about with all this sort of kit for years, preamps mounted on the bass, pickups wired together, separate leads etc etc. Round the block more times than I should ever admit to.
In the end, settled for unbeatable simplicity and neatness:

[b]Underwood [/b]- with jack socket mounted vertically between string ball-ends, behind tailpiece (velcro strip through string holes to hold in place). invisible.

[b]Line 6 G30 [/b]relay wireless, mounted behind tailpiece - invisible. Super low-profile lightweight patch lead between the two. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-3-Hand-Made-Low-Profile-Patch-Cable-for-Guitar-Pedals-and-Pedal-Boards-/190690060988?hash=item2c66036abc:m:m2rc9oM82T47qrPpL2Y5m-g)

[b]Pre-amp/Eq[/b] on amp top.

(Honestly. Line6 G30 is the best solution ... far more to go wrong with eq's and pedals and leads. It has never gone wrong anyway. And it has warning light for low battery. And it sorts impedance issues for you. What's not to like?)

No leads or cables anywhere, no need to turn things off and on, or plug and unplug cables to save battery life.
At a gig, my whole rig is on and primed all night... I take my bass out of the bag, flick the switch on the Line6 ... and I'm playing.

I do all adjustments on the amp. I tried K+K opn-board preamps mixer, LR Baggs preamp/mixer ... But onboard mixing is always a compromise, fiddly limited controls, batteries to die. Do it on your amp .. how far away from the thing are you ever going to be?!

I briefly had a slap pickup with this system too, and I went for a second wireless bug. Airline mini thing tucked behind fingerboard ... Can't be bothered with it now, plenty of slap from the Underwood. But if I ever did it again for that real 'billy click I'd use another Line 6. Worth every penny.

Edited by PaulKing

Slightly off topic but has anyone tried the Line 6 G10 on an EUB?I use BG and EUB and the G10 has a transmitter that plugs directly into the instrument so there are no cables or separate transmitters.It is easy to switch between instruments and the reviews I've read are positive.I wonder if this might be a good alternative to cables for me.Both my instruments are active but the Line 6 info says that should be no problem for their G30 but I wonder about the G10-I guess I could ask them couldn't I.Comments or suggestions?

Edit.Just read a review that says the G10 does not work with active pickups but hadn't seen that anywhere else.
Edit.The Line 6 site claims the G10 will work with active pickups.I should have checked that before posting...

Edited by Staggering on