Why become a member? ×

Happy birthday Bill Wyman.

Bassman Sam

I saw him 5yrs ago and he was finally starting to look his age. I think he is criminally underrated by both bass players and his ex-band. The last thread on him was just teasing him (about 6 years back) and he's a very solid, understated player who can be very tasteful when allowed.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1477342861' post='3161642']
I saw him 5yrs ago and he was finally starting to look his age. I think he is criminally underrated by both bass players and his ex-band. The last thread on him was just teasing him (about 6 years back) and he's a very solid, understated player who can be very tasteful when allowed.
[/quote]

Yes, when you listen to the bass in the oldest Stones recordings yu can hear hos lines were very inovative for the era.

only 10 years younger than Chuck Berry, another member of the 'how the hell did they get away with that' club, not as valuable to rock and Roll history as Chuck but still a very iconic figure, his playing style certainly set him apart from other bass players, holding his bass like a watering can was how I once heard it described

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1477343510' post='3161653']
Yes, when you listen to the bass in the oldest Stones recordings yu can hear hos lines were very inovative for the era.
[/quote]

Indeed. Under-rated, as others have said. Some of those early Stones records were brilliant, and the bass on them is an integral part of the tracks - some great playing, which sits perfectly with the overall sound, sat nice in the mix too

Happy Birthday BW :)

Bill is a good, solid and under rated player. Unfortunately he ran into the crushing ego's of Mick and especially Keith. He should be applauded for maintaining a degree of sanity throughout his time with the Stones. They nearly finished off Mick Taylor.

IMO he should have got out earlier.

Ah Mr. Wyman...the Mr. Wyman who was publicly screwing an underage girl for years & totally messed her up. He should have the book thrown at him. Commenting on his playing is one thing, but how anyone can wish him a happy birthday knowing that is beyond me.

I attempted to read his book, 'Stone Alone' years ago. Bought it for about 25p in a charity shop.

It was a book I had to put down very quickly indeed. He came across as a right old perv.....in the first couple of chapters!

Worst thing, it wasn't an amusing thing - just very odd. :unsure:

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1477398699' post='3161952']
Ah Mr. Wyman...the Mr. Wyman who was publicly screwing an underage girl for years & totally messed her up. He should have the book thrown at him. Commenting on his playing is one thing, but how anyone can wish him a happy birthday knowing that is beyond me.
[/quote]

Hands up to a bit of trolling here. Just wondered what the response would be. I liked his bass playing but was surprised that he got away with what he did. Birrito said it well, he was [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]criminally underrated, just not for his bass playing.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1477423008' post='3162171']
He does seem like a prime candidate for operation Yew Tree.

Perhaps those involved don't want to be subject to the further glare of publicity that pressing charges would bring.
[/quote]

I think Yew Tree was flawed. It pulled in people that were innocent and let offenders go. Pete Townshend is still to release his book that he was " researching"

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1477423008' post='3162171']
He does seem like a prime candidate for operation Yew Tree.
[/quote]
Doesn't justify his actions in anyway, but the fact that he went on to marry her might have influenced the decision not to prosecute?
And the fact that everyone knew about it anyway and it would thus not be sensational enough for the police!

Musically I've always liked his style.

Edited by Count Bassy

If I may just steer this topic back on track a little - There were a few rock stars who, for whatever reason, weren't subject to formal complaints around (or since) Op Yewtree despite high profile relationships with young girls. Whether your view is that of "predator" or "different era" I think as this is a bass forum the thread would be better suited as an opportunity to discuss his playing rather than anything else. Nobody wants potentially libelous comments. I say this knowing it is of course a potentially sensitive subject for some.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1477427335' post='3162213']

I think Yew Tree was flawed. It pulled in people that were innocent and let offenders go. Pete Townshend is still to release his book that he was " researching"
[/quote]

I appreciate it's not always easy when you're on the cutting edge of humour but it's always best to get your facts straight. His autobiography came out a few years ago.

Still, it's a hilarious joke. "Where's the book, Pete?" - funny stuff, man.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar