Why become a member? ×

In defence of drummers

Davo-London

I've just read through the post about funny things band mates have said and there is a lot of drummer-slagging-off going on, most of it in a jesting, friendly way but some is clearly the opposite.

As a bassist/drummer - I thought maybe it's timely for me to perhaps explain the drummer mind-set and how it differs from the bassist in us. Here are some considerations:
[list]
[*]Transport and loading/unloading: as a bassist I have a barefaced cab, a light Precision bass and a light Aguilar 500 head. This could be carried in a single trip between car and venue. My drum kit, which is as small as is sensible, takes around 5 trips. Plus the case carrying the stands weighs about 40 kg. Not nice.
[*]Set-up: I could set-up my bass rig in about 1 minute. The fastest set-up I've managed with my kit is 10 minutes.
[*]Stage: I can set-up my bass in 2 m[sup]2[/sup] area whereas drums requires about 6 - 8 m[sup]2[/sup].
[*]Monitors/mics/PA: Bass can be all DI, whereas drums will need multiple mics a drum mixer etc.
[*]Volume: bass just turn a knob, whereas drums you really need sound suppression to play so in-ears or headphones needed. Plus set of mics etc if using a PA
[*]Post gig set-down: Same as set-up plus the drummer misses all the fan chat.
[*]Practice: bass I play through headphones any time I want. Kit - well it depends on your family, neighbours, house/flat etc and time of day. THIS IS WHY your drummer says he hasn't practiced since last week!
[*]Running cost: ignoring GAS all the bass needs is strings, whereas, drums needs heads, sticks, percussion etc.
[/list]
I could go on, but I hope I've made my point. Be nice to your drummers. Life is not equal. Oh and when the singer turns up late and says "why isn't my mic set up?". They are lucky to stay alive.

All the best
Davo

I'm also a drummer/bassist. I have a bag with a back-strap for my cymbals. All of my hardware goes in one bag, then I have a snare, two toms and a bass drum. I can generally do it in 2-3 trips and set up in 5 minutes. I'm ALWAYS set up before the guitarist(s)...

I play 6 string basses and to buy new strings is generally £30-40. I can get 3 pairs of sticks for that

The one thing that I hate, and no other members of the band would have to deal with, is lack of space. Especially if it's a multi-band gig, the first drummer will have set up the kit about 2 feet from the back wall. I don't know if there's some sort of rule where promoters find the shortest drummer possible to put on first but it certainly seems that way. I have to shift the whole kit forward, into the back of the frontman, who then complains that he doesn't have enough room.

Also shared kits. They're always sh*te. I always bring my own but I'm not allowed to use it. I guess people don't believe I can set up in 5 minutes?!

If you're going to help, try not to drop everything. One of my band mates dropped my cymbal bag trying to be helpful (although no-one has admitted it yet) and now I have a sharp dent in all of my gigging cymbals. One member did helpfully suggest I get a hard case. I'm not sure he realised just how much it would cost to replace them all.

I love the drummers I play with.

In the Summer I did a run of 10 gigs with 4 bands and had to play with 10 different drummers. From a rock beast to a light jazzy player, they were all excellent players and great guys as well. I had the time of my bass playing life.

Agree with almost everything apart from volume issues. Some drummers just cannot control how hard they hit a drum yet others are far more versatile players and can adapt to a certain degree.
I've just ordered set of ACS earplugs mainly because the drummers i currently play with are too loud.
That's my only criticism really.

As for helping set up and strip down and loading and unloading its always been all hands on deck and you lift whatever is needed to get the job done quickly. Usually the most experienced stays in van and does the packing where required and rest of band humph the gear.

Dave

As a bass player, the drummer is my most key component in any band. I always help with set up and carrying, and currently have a stack of cymbals and a snare in storage because the poor lad is lacking transport to practice at the mo. I reserve the right to rip the p*ss as much as I can get away with though.

[quote name='Davo-London' timestamp='1477324052' post='3161422']
LOL, good responses.

I too play with loud drummers. I hate it. That's why I play drums very quietly. Seriously, I've been asked, on occasions, to play louder.

Imagine that!

Davo
[/quote]

same here, but I think I can trump you.... I play with a guitarist who is regularly asked to turn up!!!

The wind band I play with has 4 percussionists at most gigs and rehearsals: drum kit, timps plus two to hit/smash/wallop assorted toys such as glockenspiel etc. The amount of schlepping to get stuff in and out of the venue is significant, especially if there are stairs.

They've got quite a hard job, especially with arrangements that bands play as it is not the 'four square' sort of stuff.

Now volume is another issue...

[quote name='Davo-London' timestamp='1477324052' post='3161422']
LOL, good responses.

I too play with loud drummers. I hate it. That's why I play drums very quietly. Seriously, I've been asked, on occasions, to play louder.

Imagine that!

Davo
[/quote]

You have a nice light touch both on bass and drums, it's a pleasure to listen to.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1477318602' post='3161356']
I've always helped with load in & set up for everyone else, especially the drummer. The sooner we're all in and setup, the sooner we can start.
[/quote]I always helps our drummer unload and load, as do others in the band. It certainly helps that he is an amazing drummer and a top bloke as well.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1477324566' post='3161428']
same here, but I think I can trump you.... I play with a guitarist who is regularly asked to turn up!!!
[/quote]Yep, me too. However, I've been in other bands where...well you know (I also play guitar so the, "It's my sound, man," excuse doesn't wash; reasonable, tone rich volumes can be achieved quite easily).

Ex drummer here, but still do the odd dep. If I'm set up first (usually the case) I'll start building up the drummer's kit with him. Of course there are always little adjustments to be made by him but I know roughly where he likes things and how to set a kit up. It's always appreciated and we play well together. He can play quietly too if the venue requires it. The cherry on the cake is that he's a really lovely guy too.

I really appreciate a good drummer (and really dislike a bad drummer or one that is too loud). I think you can get away with a mediocre bassist or guitarist (I am proof of that point) but I think you need good vocals and good drums, everything else just fits then instead of fights.
I also like to help the poor drummer in and out of rehearsal but I am nervous of damaging anything, but even just the offer of help is appreciated I am sure. And we are meant to be a band and not just a bunch of individuals.
I do like drummer jokes though, I am sorry, I just can't help it...

I've noticed online recently bass players seem to be the new drummers when it comes to jokes... as far as I can tell, if you don't value the roles of others in a band you don't fully appreciate music. I'd love to be a good drummer (it was my first start in music and despite a pro drummer Dad I was terrible!)

I always help the drummer bring his gear in, same with PA, once I'm set up myself. If the playing area is small I will put my gear to one side, help bring the drum kit then help out elsewhere until the drum kit is in place then set up my gear last, doesn't take long. Otherwise you all end up fighting over the same space and it gets in a mess.

I'd never just carry my own gear into or out of a venue, just plain old courtesy. Drummers for me are what makes a band complete. I've done a few gigs we're it's just keys, guitar and bass and something always feels missing. Even if it's just brushes on a snare, something for me to interact with just makes it for me.

I try not to engage in drummer bashing, a lot of that coming from personal skill envy. Obviously there's the usual friendly gig banter and I get more of my fair share (being a Neanderthal failed guitarist who's harmonic vocabulary doesn't extend beyond the root and the 5th). Drummers can do something I can't do, every time I sit down at a kit I sound like an over enthusiastic 6 year old! I often sit and watch drum lessons on YouTube just to hear different approaches to groove and try to apply some of the stuff I learn to my bass playing.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1477554053' post='3162885']I often sit and watch drum lessons on YouTube just to hear different approaches to groove and try to apply some of the stuff I learn to my bass playing.
[/quote]
+1

As a bass player you can learn so much from the Bernard Purdy and Steve Gadd YT videos. Those guys are the masters of groove.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1477510181' post='3162733']
Another bassist drummer here. When drumming I always turn up early, even for rehearsals, so I am often the first to be ready to play. Also means I can claim my space on the stage.
[/quote]

If you were a full time drummer it would be "claim all the stage". ;)