Why become a member? ×

Which part of your setup bass,amp,cab etc do you prioritize

Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1477307572' post='3161206']
Some people really can just pickup and play anything as long as the setup isn't tottaly stupid so to say. Some people are not as sensitive.
A bit like people who can play any neck size or radius fingerboard.
Also some people can still get a decent sound out of ancient strings.

I myself could of easily said bass first too. But I choose cab.

Anyhow regardless of bass, amp or cab DONT FLATWOUNDS MAKE US ALL SOUND THE SAME!?.....

;D I'm joking btw
[/quote]

I'm very senstive to the feel of the bass... not sure that is a good thing or bad thing, but it is the way it is, for me.
So..I can't do what I do on any old bass with a variable set-up.
Sure, I could cover a 'gig' but I'd hate it being stymied so much .... It wouldn't be worth doing for me...

Like others, all are important to me. However, my prime concern would be the bass. That's the primary interface between me and the sound and so I really want it to feel right under my fingers. It's the sound source... GIGO...

Amps I have almost always run flat or near flat anyway. Cabs I've had less experience swapping and changing. But all my gear is Of at least a decent quality. That's a must for me.

Thing is I don't want any of the items in the signal chain to be completely rubbish. And with any averagely good gear, of course I'd be able to play fine although maybe with less ultimate pleasure in the playing. However if it's a choice of 1 brilliant element and the rest perfectly servicible I'll go with a great bass every time. If it's a choice of 1 brilliant element and the rest of the gear absolute dogs... I'd probably still go for bass...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1477309603' post='3161230']

I'm very senstive to the feel of the bass... not sure that is a good thing or bad thing, but it is the way it is, for me.
So..I can't do what I do on any old bass with a variable set-up.
Sure, I could cover a 'gig' but I'd hate it being stymied so much .... It wouldn't be worth doing for me...
[/quote]

Get an upright bass for a few months, even an encore P bass will feel awesome!

I used to gig a fairly high end Warwick bass through a decent Ampeg rig which sounded great as you'd probably expect.
When the Ampeg died (it was pretty elderly to be fair and had a hard life before I got it) I resorted to using a Behringer for a while - didn't sound quite so great.
Earlier this year I bought my current (very nice) Aguilar rig but now using cheap and cheerful basses (Squier P and as of last weekend a Sterling SUB Ray) and the general consensus amongst the band at this Saturday's gig was it was one of the best sounds that I've had (at least until I blew one of my speakers - but that's another story).
Seems I get a better sound with a cheap bass through a posh amp than I do with a posh bass through a cheap amp.
Strangely though I'd rather turn up to a gig with shared backline and use my own bass than use someone else's bass through my own rig.

In conclusion I'd have to say that overall I haven't got a clue what I'm on about.

Edited by Painy

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1477256098' post='3160968'] you can put a five grand bass through a dodgy cab and it will sound like you just picked it out of a skip.[/quote]
+1 for cab. Having just gone through this (but not a £5k bass!), I was annoyed at never being happy playing what I had. As a new player I wondered was it the player, the bass, the amp or the cab. Keeping the same bass and amp I eventually swapped the cab to the Vanderkley and hey presto, changed everything.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1477307704' post='3161208']

I thought you played a hofner, p bass etc and an ampeg b15. Or is that in my imagination lol.
[/quote]

I play 7 different basses including my German made Hofner Club bass.

An Ampeg B-15? No

Blue

It depends on context and what you're doing with it. In the whole rig, having a great amp makes more difference than a great bass, but most of my gigs are with PA support with bass DId and the bass amp essentially acting as a personal monitor for me, so the bass itself has more impact on the sonics out front.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1477496940' post='3162609']
Bass for me. It the only piece of kit you improve on the more you use it. You can't rehearse or learn anything from an amp or cab..
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree here, I think a lot of the people who keep swapping and changing amps and cabs around are looking for a magic fix, if they stuck to one that was essentially good fur a while they'd get used to what all the knobs do, one of the big advantages of a head and cab over a combo are the ability to take the head to practices and use the provided cab to "learn" how it works without lugging your own cabs every week.

Bass.

And pedals.

And a really good sound man. Always buy him a pint.

I've played loads of gigs without an amp, or with borrowed backline. On the minor league circuit in London it's fairly usual for the bands to share gear and for the bass to be DI'd as standard and you can use the old knackered 30w no name combo if you really want to hear yourself on stage but it won't sound like that out front.

So much as I love my SVT Pro II, in practice I'm far more likely to be playing through one of the pedals I've got that does a really good SVT impression (Tech 21 VT, although I've just got an Ampeg SCR-DI which is superb) ahead of the DI box

I'm also with some of the above in that a big chunk of he sound is in the playing - how hard I'm hitting the strings, pick or fingers or slapping, etc

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1477509121' post='3162718']
Bass.

And pedals.

And a really good sound man. Always buy him a pint.

I've played loads of gigs without an amp, or with borrowed backline. On the minor league circuit in London it's fairly usual for the bands to share gear and for the bass to be DI'd as standard and you can use the old knackered 30w no name combo if you really want to hear yourself on stage but it won't sound like that out front.

So much as I love my SVT Pro II, in practice I'm far more likely to be playing through one of the pedals I've got that does a really good SVT impression (Tech 21 VT, although I've just got an Ampeg SCR-DI which is superb) ahead of the DI box

I'm also with some of the above in that a big chunk of he sound is in the playing - how hard I'm hitting the strings, pick or fingers or slapping, etc
[/quote]

A man very much after my own heart.

My bass!, even though I have a really good bass rig most of my gigs I play through a provided back line which can be OK to dreadful. But going DI. I know that even if I have a below par stage rig, my bass and me will be constant and unaffected

Edited by jazzyvee

I think a few of you might agree, that the priority is GAS, are we really happy with our sound? some venues we are pleased with our sound, other venues it can sound awful,depending as well if you have pa support? At the end of the day are we really satisfied with the gear we have??

My bitcrushers. My IE Frantabit was my first real GAS, and it took over five years for me to get one (being a pennyless teen for most of that).
To this day, I still have moments where I just look at it and it makes me smile.
Sure, I could get along fine without (and have done) but bitcrushers make me happy. Probably something about how they make me sound objectively worse, but subjectively better.