Why become a member? ×

Sorry, but there really is no substitute for big iron

JPJ

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1477396780' post='3161928']

Correct - it's an abletec unit. The ALC1000 to be precise. I have an ABM1000 and it's an absolute monster. And weighs less than 10kg.
[/quote]

I think that is what Glockenklang use too. I'll have a proper look later.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1477306930' post='3161196']
You need to try my Thunderfunk 750 Kev... perfect balance between weight and heft/output. If your feet stay still for more than 12hrs let me know and we'll share coffee!
[/quote] that amp is special though - I didn't get on with the preamp side but the power amp side was amazing

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1477395165' post='3161910']
So... the OP changed from a 500W AG500 to a 1500W SM1500 and felt more "heft"? And people are saying is due to the toroidal transformer? And the extra headroom from having 3 times the power output doesn't play a part here? In that case my class-D Shuttle 9.2 is more "heftier" then the toroidal equipped 15W TE Boxer combo i have or the 280W GK RB400iv i had... ;)

We shouldn't mix things, we all know that a 500W toroidal amp, compared to a 500W SMPS, has more sub-lows (great for those who like it, i'm very happy without a muddy stage sound) and the greater the power output of an amp more headroom is available. So what's the news about the SM1500 sounding better? Even the SM900 would beat the c**p out of the Aggie. [b]The SM400 would be a better comparison, both in the same muscle rank, the tone would be decisive factor [/b]there.
[/quote]

Nope.... the SM400 outclasses the TH500 in every respect IMO.. and I've owned both and I'm also a fan of the way Aguilar do things.
I'm just not sure the TH is up there with rest of their stable. Probably me, tho

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1477361220' post='3161730']
The Hughes and Kettner Base 600 head I tried couple of years back did the same thing - not common but great sound. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/35922-hughes-and-kettner-bass-base-600-head/"]One was for sale on here many years ago too.[/url] I suspect it's a little lighter than an SM1500...
[/quote]

Not by much, I can assure you! :D

My mate has one of those Crowns , for his rehearsal rooms - heavier than the Crest .

The Crest is not lightweight at all , but neither is it the backbreaker it's made out to be .

I've stuck it in a Boschma 2U case with lovely wide smooth handles , and it's a doddle to move around

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1477409963' post='3162046']
Thanks.. looks meaty
[/quote]1000W RMS 2000w peak It's been dampened down a bit ( what ever that means ) because some 8 x 10" cabs were blown in it's development , [i] just love it . The fan is so powerful it's like a jet engine turning it's enines off when turning it off :)[/i]

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1477428456' post='3162228']
My mate has one of those Crowns , for his rehearsal rooms - heavier than the Crest .

The Crest is not lightweight at all , but neither is it the backbreaker it's made out to be .

I've stuck it in a Boschma 2U case with lovely wide smooth handles , and it's a doddle to move around
[/quote]

Agreed - the Crest in a rack case with decent side handles is a reasonably easy one hand carry

This has more heft than anyone needs

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=xpa4002&s=5

It's a permanent installation power amp but I know some who are using it in their rigs. - guitar and bass.

They are about £1200 and sold to certified installers. There are ways though, of course!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1477395165' post='3161910']
So... the OP changed from a 500W AG500 to a 1500W SM1500 and felt more "heft"? And people are saying is due to the toroidal transformer? And the extra headroom from having 3 times the power output doesn't play a part here? In that case my class-D Shuttle 9.2 is more "heftier" then the toroidal equipped 15W TE Boxer combo i have or the 280W GK RB400iv i had... ;)

We shouldn't mix things, we all know that a 500W toroidal amp, compared to a 500W SMPS, has more sub-lows (great for those who like it, i'm very happy without a muddy stage sound) and the greater the power output of an amp more headroom is available. So what's the news about the SM1500 sounding better? Even the SM900 would beat the c**p out of the Aggie. The SM400 would be a better comparison, both in the same muscle rank, the tone would be decisive factor there.
[/quote]

Fair point well made. Output "volume" levels were about the same, but the SWR was more open, even, and just felt like the bass was 'breathing' better. I just wish the damn thing wasn't heavy enough to have its own gravitational field.