Why become a member? ×

Valve amps vs Solid State

paul, the

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391976348' post='2363221']
Amplifiers made using little glass bubbles that may or may not work when you switch them on? :huh:
No thanks. :P

I gave up using valve amps nearly 30 years and it's solid state for me every time.

The benefits that people claim valve amps give them are either un-noticeable to me or benefits that I have no need or desire for.
[/quote]

Hmm. Apparently some folks like variable panel lighting colours, others prefer to play bass. To each his/her own... :mellow:

:lol: :P

Plugged my CTM300 in the other afternoon at home and thought I'm going to re-learn some old favourites and maybe write something. I ended up playing for a good 4 hours without realising that much time had passed, I just plugged in turned it on and let it warm up, flicked the EQ about and then played, it was a joy to play and the sound was so much more interesting and characterful than my SS EB-180 Ashdown! Normally when I use the EB I sit and fiddle after every song trying to find the best balance to often no avail! Not so with the CTM it's an absolute pleasure to play and the tone is the best I've ever had and heard!

HUGE +1 to valve amps and in particular the CTM300

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1392158581' post='2365567']
A great comparison is vinyl record vs. CbD. Listen to an album on CD, then the same one on vinyl. CD will be cleaner, vinyl will jump at you! Much more "alive". Similar for solid state vice Tubes.
[/quote]

Nah...

You arent usually able to compare like for like CD to vinyl because the mastering restrictions are often very different and in the case of CD likely to have been abused in a nonsensical attempt at average level over punch unfortunately.

Where the CD is mastered like the vinyl but allowing for the best bits of digital to be used to their maximum (ie 0 noise, far wider dynamic range than vinyl, wider usable frequency range etc etc) then the CD does actaully sounds better than vinyl, even if you prefer the vinyl experience for who knows how many reasons. Truth is CD is the most apalling abused format in history (and that is really saying something given the amount that vinyl was abused for the same reasons).

Sorry for the thread derail ;), for what its worth, its all horses for courses to me, whatever floats your boat etc etc all good, I prefer clean amps, I dont really like the sound fo a big 810 Ampeg that much, unless its pushed to an extreme in the right context, I certainly prefer playing a more powerful cleaner rig if I have the choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent years trying to find the sound, as many of us do and it wasn't until I heard and played through the 400+ that I found it. I tried Ashdown ABM, Trace SS, GK, Markbass, Laney, Hartke, Genz, TC, EBS, Aguilar and others but until I got that thump in the chest from the 400+ everything else was like alcohol-free beer.

I have since tried a Matamp GT200 and that is like a very different flavour of what I like. I'd like to try a VBA400, CTM300, the big Laney and some others before I decide on a second head but the heft of a big valve power section is just an unbeatable experience for me and the 400+ has more personality than all the other amps I've ever had put together. Sure, it's got weird EQ and the DI is the usual Mesa impractical nonsense until you get used to it but the ownership experience is fabulous, it's so much more than a tool to do a job, it's a thing that's almost alive.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1393759455' post='2384000']
I spent years trying to find the sound, as many of us do and it wasn't until I heard and played through the 400+ that I found it. I tried Ashdown ABM, Trace SS, GK, Markbass, Laney, Hartke, Genz, TC, EBS, Aguilar and others but until I got that thump in the chest from the 400+ everything else was like alcohol-free beer.

I have since tried a Matamp GT200 and that is like a very different flavour of what I like. I'd like to try a VBA400, CTM300, the big Laney and some others before I decide on a second head but the heft of a big valve power section is just an unbeatable experience for me and the 400+ has more personality than all the other amps I've ever had put together. Sure, it's got weird EQ and the DI is the usual Mesa impractical nonsense until you get used to it but the ownership experience is fabulous, it's so much more than a tool to do a job, it's a thing that's almost alive.
[/quote]
Valve amps always seem alive to me too, there's so much more tone and definition to a valve amp in my opinion!

As a user of the CTM300, I cannot recommended it highly enough! It's got a dead easy EQ, a great DI as most Ashdown's do. The fact it has a home biasing is amazing as well! The ability to bias at home has saved me some money already! Plus the tone is just spot on! It's a perfect workhorse and is used by many great bass players already!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1393882554' post='2385518']

Valve amps always seem alive to me too, there's so much more tone and definition to a valve amp in my opinion!

As a user of the CTM300, I cannot recommended it highly enough! It's got a dead easy EQ, a great DI as most Ashdown's do. The fact it has a home biasing is amazing as well! The ability to bias at home has saved me some money already! Plus the tone is just spot on! It's a perfect workhorse and is used by many great bass players already!
[/quote]
So, who uses it it then? Who are these great bass players? I need to justify my purchase :-)

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1393883281' post='2385524']

So, who uses it it then? Who are these great bass players? I need to justify my purchase :-)
[/quote]
I do believe I've seen Pino with one, James Jamerson of Biffy has and I do ;) but I can't remember off the top of my head, go check their website out, they're very well laid out and obvious so it's not hard finding who does :)

• 2 months later...

Okay my twopence worth from the past.
There are many things to do with sounding good. Skill being a major one. I'm sure a skilled guitarist could make a mediocore guitar/amp sound far better than me playing through high end stuff. Another thing I have thought about in the past is the 'band' situation. We often play or pride and joys in the confines of the house. Practicing away by ourselves. We might have really good valve gear or SS gear, high guitars, the best cables etc. However I am of the belief that once you start playing along with the rest of the band banging away then you lose the little special things that make your rig sound great. Yes in your head you may feel better because you know how good the gear can sound and that translate into you having confidence etc. I really don't believe that the crowd out front can make out the differences though...especially if you're all going through a run of the mill house PA. I've found in the past that your eyes hear what the ears can't. If something looks the business then it's a fair chance your ears will hear it. Not always the case I'll grant you that, but there are times when it does.
For me, I've played valve for years now, just because I can't be bothered selling it and getting a SS or hybrid (see GAS comment in other thread). I've heard some really good SS/Hybrid amps out there and I'm sure they would be good enough in a band situation.
Now that just my twopence worth from a newbie.

The venue I play the bass will get DI to the PA so the good tone I get is for me to enjoy on stage. Not sure what the audience hear but if they all nodding away then is all good. The only thing on my list when it comes to playing live is for me to hear myself, if I can't hear myself onstage then no point having all the high end stuff onstage. Then again having a SVT and ampeg 8x10 onstage I should be able to hear myself, if not something is going wrong lol.

I dont think it is necessary to have the whole rig valve, what i mean by that is that any amp has a preamp and power amp stage. But they can be separated you could have the preamp transistor and the power amp valve or the other way round. At one time or another i have had all the combinations, i have now settled on a valve preamp and transistor power stage,
I use an ampeg preamp and a 2k digital power amp, i find it gives the warmth and consistency for the tone i prefer. Some people would say why do you need that kind of power on stage, its not the power but the clarity i require large amounts of head room. many dont realise that turning up the low eq on a rig uses lots of power and you can go into clipping very quickly. If you use a compressor you start loosing dynamic range as the low end drives the threshold into tripping, so i get the tone i want in a very compact and portable rig.