Why become a member? ×

Valve amps vs Solid State

paul, the

The real problem with modern Marshalls would be the output transformer. Whilst looking for transfoermers on the Internet for a project Ive been planning, I found a replacement transformer for the JCM900, which has a low frequency cutoff of 70Hz - now, I guess this matches whats you have in your JCM900, and this just wont give you a big thundering low end. Swapping out the cathode bypass and interstage coupling caps for larger values will only get you a little of the way to fixing the low end, the transformer will always limit you here.

You might be able to replace the transformer, but at that point you will probably be better off getting a whole new amplifier with a bigger power transformer as well. The Ashdown Little Bastard is a really nice small bass amp.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1357084973' post='1917433']
looks like transformers to put to bass are a couple of hundred squid!!...looks like ill never get a valve bass head then!! marshall superbass are too expensive!
[/quote]

Its not so bad if you buy a good amp instead of an expensive badge.

I am a fan of the BIg valve type amps like Ampeg and Mesa...even though I don't especially like their other kit
but the amps work, IMO.
But, I can not or do not wish to justify the hassle of owing, sevicing and carrying an SVT or 400, IMO

I also think the the DB750 is a very worthwhile alternative that loses nothing in the sound compared to the
SVT's and Mesa'...
It still has the very hefty output stage ..and consequently weight which I put at around 60lbs cased up.
and even if I had 'crew' I'd still pick the DB750.

Just about the best amp, I've come across, and I've been delighted to use SVT and Mesa previously.

The one common thing..apart from weight.. is that you just plug in and go...and if they work on that basis, then great.
If they don't, you'll soon use something else.
They aren't amps that go in for a lot of EQ/tone shaping but if your bass is good, so will your sound be, IMO.

For chasing sounds, the best set-up I've found has been a 4 band semi parametric stage on a hybrid type.
Eden, SWR and TF tend to use this route and it is good for notching EQ in poor rooms, IMO.

I tend not to be so hung up on valve pre stages these days as well and I can do without the grind factor.

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1357138492' post='1917948']
What was the low frequency cutoff of the Partridge transformers used in the old Hiwatt 200 and 400 models? Was it as low as 30Hz?
[/quote]

Knowing Hiwatt, quite possibly! :D

Thunderider, haven't I mixed your group at the Rigger a while back? That name looks familiar.

With regards to low frequency roll off, have you considered how low you really need to go? Do you really need 30-40 hz in your program as most of us think we 'need' an octave lower than we really do Even some PA grade subwoofers begin to struggle at less than 45hz so even if the amp could do it, you need to consider could the speakers you're using.. :ph34r:

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1357138492' post='1917948']
What was the low frequency cutoff of the Partridge transformers used in the old Hiwatt 200 and 400 models? Was it as low as 30Hz?
[/quote]

Depends on the model, but they mostly went down to around 20Hz

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1357154822' post='1918351']
It'll make it sound it to. His hifi stuff is amazing.
[/quote]

Quite fancy a Croft modded one too but can't justify two ST20s!

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1357171993' post='1918792']
Thunderider, haven't I mixed your group at the Rigger a while back? That name looks familiar.

we supported gunslinger dec 11....i was using a 150w laney and an 18 sub!!.....
[/quote]

I remember, sorry man I've mixed millions since! ;)

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1357289797' post='1920312']
i did miss a simms watt by 11£...it was one of the freaky moments on ebay one minute i was biddy a lost second and it had gone!! gutted!!
[/quote]
I had one and sold it to this lot [url="http://www.newyorkproductions.co.uk/sheets/BACKLINE%20HIRE%20LIST%202008.pdf"]http://www.newyorkproductions.co.uk/sheets/BACKLINE%20HIRE%20LIST%202008.pdf[/url]
I hated the sound of it but still wish I'd kept it 'cos I sold it pretty cheap.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Edit: I have both solid state heads and a valve head, both types have their own perks but i find myself increasingly bringing my V4 to gigs, it might be a pain lugging it from the car to the venues but it performs exceptionally every time i use it, although i wish i'd have to stop telling people not to put their stuff on it as it's not a table.

Edited by Tonywhite985

• 3 months later...

I got myself an old[i][b] Fender Studio Bass[/b][/i] combo a year ago, that sounds fantastic. The problem is when I used it on stage my band mates complained they couldn't hear me. They are used to hear me very distinctly through whatever solid state amp I've ever used. Its "wooliness" can get masked in the overall sound of the band. The single 15" woofer doesn't project that well compared to the 2x112, 4x112, 210, 410 and Bose rigs I use to use. My main amp for the moment is my old [i][b]EBS Gorm[/b][/i] 210 combo that really gets things going...

This old amp is also a HEAVY s.o.b, with its single handle on top making it impossible to move. Also very top heavy... but sounds sooo good when I'm alone. It lives up to its name: Studio Bass - no hum or buzz at all at any volume, built in line send tapped from the speaker output etc. ..

Edited by bassmayhem

Mmmm, valve vs solid state. As a quick reference, check out your favourite players on youtube, spot how many use valve/solid state amps,,,,question answered, 90% use solid state, usually Eden, GK, Ashdown,Aguilar, why?, more control, more tones, better reliability, lighter, cheaper. Tried an SVT rig,a Mesa Boogie, Trace Elliot, Fender,Roland and Peavey valve rigs side by side with an EBS FAfner rig, thanks to Gaz at PMT Birmingham. After two hours of side by side testing with all these i walked away with the EBS rig.
I believe the valve issue with bass players, along with the Fender basses is only a matter of nostalgia and name. Bass equipment has moved on incredibly far compared to guitar, don't forget, at one time there was only tube amps.
Conclusion, valve amps for guitar, thats what they were designed for
Solid state for bass, thats what [b][i]they[/i][/b] were designed for.
My apologies to all bass valve users, its your choice, my choice after 40 years of trying everything that has been available over this time is solid state.

RESPECT