Why become a member? ×

New Alto truesonic range of PA speakers.

bonzodog

Has anyone used the new Alto truesonic range of PA speakers. (These are the ones with a number 2 in front of the speaker size ie 212 for the 12")

After my post in repairs section we need new monitors and our intention is to have a pair and therefore also have a back up for our EV FOH speakers.

The SPL is improved on the previous truesonic and they are nicely priced as our budget for monitors is £500. Getting fed up of buying dodgy used gear now so we want to use new and get the warranty.

Not used the new ones, but used the original truesonics for djing. Great sound for the price, BUT, the driver in one went after a few months, despite being kept out of the red limiter. They also peaked early (volume on about 11 oclock) especially if you had the bass boost on.
There is loads of reports of people having similar problems with the drivers online too.
I hope they have shorted the issues for the v2s as they were really good value and sound.

I was recommended the DB opera range for your situation, I'm told they are to RCF what squier are to Fender. We've only got the 10s for vocal duties and a bit of guitar but tbh they work ok with a sensible bit of kick drum and bass guitar with the bottom end cut a little bit, the drummer is changing his old fashion mountain of peavey kit to a single 12 or even a 15 version. They sound nice as vocal FOH too.

No idea what the new ones are like but I tried the old ones out and wasn't completely convinced by the vocal sound, they may have fixed this.

You talk about dodgy used stuff but how about decent used gear. If you use EV for the PA and could track down some used ones as monitors then you'd have all the redundancy you'd need. In a years time you'd be sitting on a pair of used EV's rather than used Truesonics so you'd only be buying a years grace. just a thought.

I went and had a listen to the new truesonics yesterday and was actually impressed with the sound so bought the 12" version. Should make a perfect monitor for our next few gigs and then we can buy another one at Christmas.
It has a 3 year warranty which is what we wanted too.

Just need to regain my faith in amps again and appreciate not all used gear is dodgy. We did a birthday party on friday with a DJ and he was using some brand new RCFs and one of his tops failed. It can happen to new gear too.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1477236776' post='3160756']
Anything electronic can fail and there's so much kit out there being used day in day out but you mainly only hear about the kit that fails on the tinternet.
[/quote]

Yes i fully agree. Its just that in last 2 years i have bought 5 bass amps and 1 active speaker second hand and 4 of them have failed within a few weeks of having them.

I bought one about 6 months ago, which has been used almost every weekend since then as a monitor. It's reasonably sturdy light weight and happy being bundled in to the back of a van overall the sound is ok ( although not a patch on our Yamaha front of house kit ) and can achieve good volume levels.